Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timbers, Thorns & Expanding Youth Academy

Merritt Paulson recently tweeted, "Big near term infrastructure priority for me: add more practice fields to better accommodate Thorns & the ever-growing youth academy. Soon."

That does not sound like an organization with no interest in women's soccer or the development of their academy.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Merritt Paulson recently tweeted, "Big near term infrastructure priority for me: add more practice fields to better accommodate Thorns & the ever-growing youth academy. Soon."

That does not sound like an organization with no interest in women's soccer or the development of their academy.
    He'd have that space if he hadn't pulled out of the commitment he made to build a turf field and club house for the Thorns at Delta Park. He backs out of one commitment and now is trying to get credit for renting some fields somewhere else. And it's the boys academy that is growing, not the Thorns.

Comment

He'd have that space if he hadn't pulled out of the commitment he made to build a turf field and club house for the Thorns at Delta Park. He backs out of one commitment and now is trying to get credit for renting some fields somewhere else. And it's the boys academy that is growing, not the Thorns.
      I am curious why he would have seriously considered Delta Park. Is there a documented commitment?

When you mention renting fields, are you talking about something similar to the THPRD arrangement made for the Timbers Training Facility?

Comment

The plan is for only 2 age groups. Paulson is going to invest $250k per team each year. They are deciding if the fees will be $500 or $750. So it won't be free

Comment

The plan is for only 2 age groups. Paulson is going to invest $250k per team each year. They are deciding if the fees will be $500 or $750. So it won't be free
          They have to expand the boys academy to include U13 at a minimum. That's a requirement of US Soccer this year. No one has membership in the girls DA yet, but if the Timbers get that, then it must be 3 age groups, U14/16/18.

Comment

I am curious why he would have seriously considered Delta Park. Is there a documented commitment?

When you mention renting fields, are you talking about something similar to the THPRD arrangement made for the Timbers Training Facility?
            http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...y_council.html

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/Parks/article/455161

Never came to be as the Timbers pulled out when Paulson couldn't make a handsome profit off the actual construction.

Comment

Strasser Field

At the beginning of the year, when they were replacing the turf at Providence Park, the timbers tweeted that the old turf was going to be installed at Strasser field. Strasser is the stadium field at Delta Park. It has not been installed yet though and I don't know if that is still the plan or not.

Comment

At the beginning of the year, when they were replacing the turf at Providence Park, the timbers tweeted that the old turf was going to be installed at Strasser field. Strasser is the stadium field at Delta Park. It has not been installed yet though and I don't know if that is still the plan or not.
                I hope they do end up putting in the turf. Personally I hate going to Delta Park. The location is bad with the congestion and vagrants and trash and that location almost always has some kind of wind storm blowing through it.
                However it is convenient to some parts of Portland and Vancouver and getting more fields there for Timbers-labeled teams could lighten the demand on fields in other parts of the city, so I'll root for someone to put down a bit more turf there.

Comment

They have to expand the boys academy to include U13 at a minimum. That's a requirement of US Soccer this year. No one has membership in the girls DA yet, but if the Timbers get that, then it must be 3 age groups, U14/16/18.
                  Nope.
                  Year one will only include 16's and 18's. This limits the investment. Once everything is in place only then will they expand

Comment

I hope they do end up putting in the turf. Personally I hate going to Delta Park. The location is bad with the congestion and vagrants and trash and that location almost always has some kind of wind storm blowing through it.
                    However it is convenient to some parts of Portland and Vancouver and getting more fields there for Timbers-labeled teams could lighten the demand on fields in other parts of the city, so I'll root for someone to put down a bit more turf there.
                    Not to mention the Spartans players smoking weed in their 1998 Honda Accord every week.

Comment

If you haven't been to Delta Park lately, there are now 4 turf fields with lights there. None of which were paid for by the Timbers.

Comment

Nope.
                        Year one will only include 16's and 18's. This limits the investment. Once everything is in place only then will they expand
                        Not allowed. The GDA clubs are required to have all 3 age groups right from the beginning. Timbers can claim otherwise, but they aren't getting into the GDA anyway. It's only going to be in SoCal, Texas, Chicago, NY for the first 3 years.

Comment

Not allowed. The GDA clubs are required to have all 3 age groups right from the beginning. Timbers can claim otherwise, but they aren't getting into the GDA anyway. It's only going to be in SoCal, Texas, Chicago, NY for the first 3 years.
                          Source please

Comment

Source please
                            Everything on this website is made up. No sources.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X