2018 HS Girls Soccer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s got to be disappointing for LaSalle players to know that they are playing down to a league that they really don’t belong in. The kids must have some level of wonder as to how their team would do playing in a true private school league like NEPSAC or MIAA Catholic Conference instead of a steady diet of squash matches versus Cranston West, Cumberland, Barrington.

Comment

2018 HS girls soccer

It has to be disappointing to no longer be in the playoffs. Why would a R.I. school join a Massachusetts interscholastic athletic league? Parents and students do not get to choose what leaugue their children play in. I don’t see anyone whining about St. Mary’s, PCD, Wheeler, MSC, MB, Lincoln School, etc. Why? Because they are not winning championships. If they were you would be whining to get them out instead. Why not focus on getting to the finals? Why not focus on developing your team? You are putting down the rest of the R.I. high schools when your claim is that LaSalle is playing down to them. If they weren’t doing so well the focus would be to hate on South Kingston. Grab a tissue, and chin up. Cllub soccer is about to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        It has to be disappointing to no longer be in the playoffs. Why would a R.I. school join a Massachusetts interscholastic athletic league? Parents and students do not get to choose what leaugue their children play in. I don’t see anyone whining about St. Mary’s, PCD, Wheeler, MSC, MB, Lincoln School, etc. Why? Because they are not winning championships. If they were you would be whining to get them out instead. Why not focus on getting to the finals? Why not focus on developing your team? You are putting down the rest of the R.I. high schools when your claim is that LaSalle is playing down to them. If they weren’t doing so well the focus would be to hate on South Kingston. Grab a tissue, and chin up. Cllub soccer is about to start.
        Club soccer? That’s great! The primary reason soccer has gone down hill!
        LaSalle is at the top but LaSalle isn’t that good.
        SK is best of the public schools and really just an ok team.
        Smithfield, NK, MH, Barrington, etc are all MEDIOCRE town/public HS teams, at best.
        Any of those teams could beat each other on any given day. And all are supposedly filled with “club” players. After watching another season of mediocre Hs soccer.
        I have to ask, What are these players learning in club soccer? What are the coaches teaching them week after week? Are they just teaching them to win a tournament where they are in a 3rd division or lower? (Usually the case for RI teams)
        That will definitely improve their game!
        RIGS is absolutely terrible across the board.

Comment

Next thread should be “RI Club Soccer”.
          Joke!!!

Comment

There is/was plenty of complaining about MSC in hockey (now they have developed their own IMG type program), about BH/LSA in football (now RIIL added this phony "state championship" on top of the new "D1" championship , and increasingly LSA for lacrosse (more on the recruiting aspect). You don't see it as much on the girls side because it's either a small sport with not a lot of interest (like tennis where LSA has dominated) or because a smaller team sport where having it's more likely a public school can get a couple of players frequently to be competitive (basketball). Plus RIIL added the same as football (this "state" vs "D1" championships to give schools a second shot - probably would not apply to soccer though given the huge gaps within divisions)

You don't hear as much on on the other privates because LSA is so large compared to them (except BH in boys and really only in football/baseball - and RIIL took care of the publics in football as mentioned above and recently BH's dominance in baseball has fallen in terms of state titles).

You're wrong about the focus on SK; without LSA, you'd get some of the same crowd you see in Seeds 2-10 on a regular basis, but it would ebb and flow who would be on top when all is said and done.

Comment

What is it about girls high school soccer that elicits so many comments? 48+ pages here on girls soccer but not one page on the boys. I find it interesting.

No HS coach has done LESS with MORE than the past couple of NK coaches. No team has routinely lost to a lower seed than NK... year after year after year.
              The boys game is a bit more competitive than the girls (talking D1). Although in both sports only four teams have won D1 titles in the last decade or so, the girls side would not be so without one singular player who opted at least for a couple of years to play with her HS team.

(1) The urban (Prov / Pawtucket) public schools are competitive in D1 due to having individually skilled kids who learn from playing pick up,etc. - but then can't put it in the post season to win it all due to a lack of "team" play for some reason.

(2) Speed makes more of a difference on the boys side - which unfortunately some of the girls coaches don't see to connect - because the boys on aggregate have more individual skill to combine with the speed. Makes the boys side at D1 more even.

NK does less with more because their coaches from every time I have seen them play seem to think a couple of faster players should be the focus of the team. The things that make North Kingstown dominate (or always near the top) in MS/JV soccer doesn't translate on the girls side to varsity level play - and that's why they will lose consistently to the other top publics..Smithfield, SK, etc. (and while the SK coach gets panned, I think he brings a better understanding - and the new boys coach as well) about translating club players to the high school game.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2371412]The boys game is a bit more competitive than the girls (talking D1). Although in both sports only four teams have won D1 titles in the last decade or so, the girls side would not be so without one singular player who opted at least for a couple of years to play with her HS team.

(1) The urban (Prov / Pawtucket) public schools are competitive in D1 due to having individually skilled kids who learn from playing pick up,etc. - but then can't put it in the post season to win it all due to a lack of "team" play for some reason.

(2) Speed makes more of a difference on the boys side - which unfortunately some of the girls coaches don't see to connect - because the boys on aggregate have more individual skill to combine with the speed. Makes the boys side at D1 more even.

NK does less with more because their coaches from every time I have seen them play seem to think a couple of faster players should be the focus of the team. The things that make North Kingstown dominate (or always near the top) in MS/JV soccer doesn't translate on the girls side to varsity level play - and that's why they will lose consistently to the other top publics..Smithfield, SK, etc. (and while the SK coach gets panned, I think he brings a better understanding - and the new boys coach as well) about translating club players to the high school

Wake up Sour NK Dad! NK has not been in a HS championship in (approx) 25 years. Does it really matter who your coach is? Coaches have come and gone and you still are mediocre at best. So is your talent level.
                If you look at HS soccer over the years it has always been SK and LaSalle. NK in the 1990s with a few others sprinkled in over the years.
                You have been and always will be SK’s ugly cousin.
                See you next year!

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2371427]
                  The boys game is a bit more competitive than the girls (talking D1). Although in both sports only four teams have won D1 titles in the last decade or so, the girls side would not be so without one singular player who opted at least for a couple of years to play with her HS team.

NK does less with more because their coaches from every time I have seen them play seem to think a couple of faster players should be the focus of the team. The things that make North Kingstown dominate (or always near the top) in MS/JV soccer doesn't translate on the girls side to varsity level play - and that's why they will lose consistently to the other top publics..Smithfield, SK, etc. (and while the SK coach gets panned, I think he brings a better understanding - and the new boys coach as well) about translating club players to the high school

Wake up Sour NK Dad! NK has not been in a HS championship in (approx) 25 years. Does it really matter who your coach is? Coaches have come and gone and you still are mediocre at best. So is your talent level.
                  If you look at HS soccer over the years it has always been SK and LaSalle. NK in the 1990s with a few others sprinkled in over the years.
                  See you next year!
                  Why can't someone make an observation on this site without someone else turning into an attack? This has nothing to do with SK in any way (or any SK - NK rivalry)... pointless and juvenile. And yes, it does (or at least should) matter who the coach is. NK has had enough talent over the years to do more than lose to a lower seed every year.

I know and have a lot of respect for the SK boys coach. He was a finalist for the NK girls job but, from what I understand, the fix was in for the current NK coach. NK missed a huge opportunity to take the program in a new direction. Instead, they ended up with a retread.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2371456]

Why can't someone make an observation on this site without someone else turning into an attack? This has nothing to do with SK in any way (or any SK - NK rivalry)... pointless and juvenile. And yes, it does (or at least should) matter who the coach is. NK has had enough talent over the years to do more than lose to a lower seed every year.

I know and have a lot of respect for the SK boys coach. He was a finalist for the NK girls job but, from what I understand, the fix was in for the current NK coach. NK missed a huge opportunity to take the program in a new direction. Instead, they ended up with a retread.
                    Wah wah, boo hoo
                    Typical NK whining!
                    You could’ve, would’ve, should’ve hired a lot of people. Wouldn’t have mattered. That’s my opinion!

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2371427]

See you next year!
                      SK and LSA? SK hasn't won a championship in 18 years..and until last year had been eliminated in the quarters prior four years - yeah, definitely better than NK. Good luck to MH and the SK-Smithfield winner. Practice your PKs!

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2371643]

SK and LSA? SK hasn't won a championship in 18 years..and until last year had been eliminated in the quarters prior four years - yeah, definitely better than NK. Good luck to MH and the SK-Smithfield winner. Practice your PKs!
                        SK/LSA final, bank on it. And if SK doesn't win this year it will be one of the next three. Talented group with some incredible young talent coming up. Unlike the other schools including LSA.

Comment

Club soccer? That’s great! The primary reason soccer has gone down hill!
                          LaSalle is at the top but LaSalle isn’t that good.
                          SK is best of the public schools and really just an ok team.
                          Smithfield, NK, MH, Barrington, etc are all MEDIOCRE town/public HS teams, at best.
                          Any of those teams could beat each other on any given day. And all are supposedly filled with “club” players. After watching another season of mediocre Hs soccer.
                          I have to ask, What are these players learning in club soccer? What are the coaches teaching them week after week? Are they just teaching them to win a tournament where they are in a 3rd division or lower? (Usually the case for RI teams)
                          That will definitely improve their game!
                          RIGS is absolutely terrible across the board.
                          If high school soccer play any where near club soccer stylistic it would have been more bearable to watch. Most of the time, skills learned at clubs are little or no use at the high school level because most coaches do not know how to apply those skill sets. I am horrified at watching my daughter’s high school team so I just don’t watch them anymore.

Comment

If high school soccer play any where near club soccer stylistic it would have been more bearable to watch. Most of the time, skills learned at clubs are little or no use at the high school level because most coaches do not know how to apply those skill sets. I am horrified at watching my daughter’s high school team so I just don’t watch them anymore.
                            Yeah Ok! On both statements.
                            Really? Why wouldn't a player use their "skill sets" learned at a supposed "higher level" with their lower level high school team. They should be tearing it up out there if that was the case. LOL. Even if their coach/s was/were clueless their soccer sense would kick in and they would use it. So that is BS!
                            So you don't watch your child play anymore? Bad parent alert!

Comment

Let's remember it's a bit apples and oranges.

High school starts hopefully after kids have been taking a break and while skills shouldn't be grossly slip after a break - just recall how most students do in the first couple of weeks of high school after summer break.

High school is about (hopefully) a few things - winning, teaching leadership, learning the responsibility of representing your school and community, playing before (usually) a lot more people than just parents in lawn chairs who have written checks - skill development is generally not on the list. Winning focus often means playing time, position, tactics and other geared toward, well, winning.

Club can be multiple things as well, but hopefully technical/tactical development is the priority with winning as a secondary outcome from that; development focus means playing time, position, tactics, and other geared toward player development, not winning.

Ideally, club plays once a week and ratio of training to playing is 3 to 1 or so; high school ratio, especially with the overpacked schedule, is often 2 to 1.

The spring and early summer tournaments when that "stylistic" play should be showing is after months of training; the first games in high school are after, what, two weeks?

Sad US Soccer has not viewed high school soccer as a way to promote the game instead of an obstacle with their narrow focus.

Comment

Yeah Ok! On both statements.
                                Really? Why wouldn't a player use their "skill sets" learned at a supposed "higher level" with their lower level high school team. They should be tearing it up out there if that was the case. LOL. Even if their coach/s was/were clueless their soccer sense would kick in and they would use it. So that is BS!
                                So you don't watch your child play anymore? Bad parent alert!
                                Guess you never play soccer. When a player switched from possession to direct there are some attributes or lack of attributes needed to be effective. Possession require players to control the ball and control the rhythm of the play. Most high schools play direct (kick and run) where 50/50 balls are determined by athleticism and luck. Not much possessions. When you play kick and run you neutralize skill players and athleticism comes into play. Just like putting Usain Bolt forward and kick the ball to him 20 times and hope he’ll score 3 goals by chance bc of his athleticism, speed and strength.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X