Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You're not escaping any bat**** insanity. Popups are the same kids, players, and coaches you see in town. That's where they jumped from. Look at the Celtic branches, for example, read the threads in this forum. That bat**** insanity might be worse than anything at the town level. And, don't get started about CFC branch lunacy ............................
    i have no doubt you're right - i just think sometimes kids should play with teammates from different places. When you are in town you're dealing with the same people every year, many of whom have the same or similar background. When you go to a non-town affiliated team you get kids from different backgrounds, both ethnic and economic. Soccer aside, that is kind of nice.

Then on the soccer side you are more likely (admittedly not guaranteed) to escape the daddy coaching/superfriends/inner circle BS you get in town programs.

Comment

Doesn't happen in our area. Everyone gets to play rec. Travel has tryouts, but these are evaluated by coaches other than the coach who will lead the team. Some clubs in our area get out-of-town personnel to review tryouts and make any cuts. The exception is that the coach's kid gets to be on the coach's own team -- not a bad price to pay for having a licensed guy with experience coach for free.
      Our town has done away with rec and we do not have cuts. Guess what happened to our travel rosters? They got large and they have lots of kids who would be better served by rec. I don't have an issue with taking the coach's kid if the coach has very good credentials, but in our town, they do not, they take the kid (and his friends and neighbors). Many of these kids are not deserving of playing on a travel team, but definitely not a travel "A" team. This has reduced out medium sized soccer town which was VERY strong at every level of the state (travel and HS) prior to the current board to a club that hardly competes anymore at any level. It is a shame and I can't wait for these yahoos to pack their bags and get out. The sooner the better. I would typically worry that their successors might be worse, but there is no chance that could happen since we are at an all time low. Before you say it, I did get involved, but their alliance and agenda were too strong to overthrow by one or two outsiders. It wasn't worth it for me. Just easier to pay to play elsewhere so my kids could have a better soccer experience. I don't want trophies and parades for my kids, i want them to learn to work hard and be a productive part of a team that is like-minded. I also refuse to overcome the challenges my kids face. They still play travel for fun, but they play at club for the development, competition, and also for a different type of fun. I do not expect that they can overcome the policies that are club dictates but they learn to cope and get along and have found an alternate place for the additional things my wife and I also think are important (that they will simply never be able to get at our travel club).

Comment

Our town has done away with rec and we do not have cuts. Guess what happened to our travel rosters? They got large and they have lots of kids who would be better served by rec. I don't have an issue with taking the coach's kid if the coach has very good credentials, but in our town, they do not, they take the kid (and his friends and neighbors). Many of these kids are not deserving of playing on a travel team, but definitely not a travel "A" team. This has reduced out medium sized soccer town which was VERY strong at every level of the state (travel and HS) prior to the current board to a club that hardly competes anymore at any level. It is a shame and I can't wait for these yahoos to pack their bags and get out. The sooner the better. I would typically worry that their successors might be worse, but there is no chance that could happen since we are at an all time low. Before you say it, I did get involved, but their alliance and agenda were too strong to overthrow by one or two outsiders. It wasn't worth it for me. Just easier to pay to play elsewhere so my kids could have a better soccer experience. I don't want trophies and parades for my kids, i want them to learn to work hard and be a productive part of a team that is like-minded. I also refuse to overcome the challenges my kids face. They still play travel for fun, but they play at club for the development, competition, and also for a different type of fun. I do not expect that they can overcome the policies that are club dictates but they learn to cope and get along and have found an alternate place for the additional things my wife and I also think are important (that they will simply never be able to get at our travel club).
        PS - We have a pretty good pulse on the premier clubs and coaches in our area, so we didn't just jump ship to any outfit, we found the places that were best for each of our kids. And it does vary greatly by age and gender. We are very pleased with what each of our children have taken from their own experiences and that we are not beholden to the buffoons that are ruining our town's local sports organizations.

Comment

i have no doubt you're right - i just think sometimes kids should play with teammates from different places. When you are in town you're dealing with the same people every year, many of whom have the same or similar background. When you go to a non-town affiliated team you get kids from different backgrounds, both ethnic and economic. Soccer aside, that is kind of nice.

Then on the soccer side you are more likely (admittedly not guaranteed) to escape the daddy coaching/superfriends/inner circle BS you get in town programs.
          Some daddy coaching is good and appropriate. You get a coach with h.s. experience, college experience, C/D license, and completely vested in the team for town travel, it's fine that his kid is on the team. We had a daddy coach who ran three practices a week, four tournaments a year, and at least one indoor league. His kid was good, perhaps best on the team, and got the third most minutes (two defenders got more). My kid played with him through U13 when a bunch of kids left for premier "opportunities" and numbers became untenable.

Where it's inappropriate is at permier club, particularly big 3. OW is infamous for daddy coaches who cater too much to their own kids. Stay away from such a situation.

Comment

Some daddy coaching is good and appropriate. You get a coach with h.s. experience, college experience, C/D license, and completely vested in the team for town travel, it's fine that his kid is on the team. We had a daddy coach who ran three practices a week, four tournaments a year, and at least one indoor league. His kid was good, perhaps best on the team, and got the third most minutes (two defenders got more). My kid played with him through U13 when a bunch of kids left for premier "opportunities" and numbers became untenable.

Where it's inappropriate is at permier club, particularly big 3. OW is infamous for daddy coaches who cater too much to their own kids. Stay away from such a situation.
            FSA also has daddy and mommy coaches ..... i expect many clubs do. Would it be so hard to just make it a policy that no coach should ever have their own kid?

Comment

FSA also has daddy and mommy coaches ..... i expect many clubs do. Would it be so hard to just make it a policy that no coach should ever have their own kid?
              Had a kid at each club. OW's daddy coaching is the worst kind, unearned minutes for his own kid who gets to skip practices not held to the same standards as the rest of the team (and, not a standout). The fact that Ow continues to use this guy is testament to how crappy that club really is. Good in the 90s and 00s, DF and RD should retire, because their club has jumped the shark.

Comment

Had a kid at each club. OW's daddy coaching is the worst kind, unearned minutes for his own kid who gets to skip practices not held to the same standards as the rest of the team (and, not a standout). The fact that Ow continues to use this guy is testament to how crappy that club really is. Good in the 90s and 00s, DF and RD should retire, because their club has jumped the shark.
                No different at FSA. See, they do have something in common.

Comment

My daughters town premier team destroyed FSA
                  Yes, The C team. Watched that game both teams sucked.

Comment

I dunno. OW, FSA, who cares. Neither are CJSA. My kid's club moved to CCSL and tuition went down 20%. Must be doing something right. Beat that, CJSA.

Comment

I dunno. OW, FSA, who cares. Neither are CJSA. My kid's club moved to CCSL and tuition went down 20%. Must be doing something right. Beat that, CJSA.
                      You misread that. Your costs went up +20%, which includes +7% for CCSL costs and +13% profit for the slimy guy running your club.

Comment

Not the poster but I think a coach should never coach their own kid. It's fine if a club wants to hire a well qualified parent coach to coach other teams, even let his kid play for free as a perk. But even the most well intentioned, fair and objective coach will be under the microscope all the time by parents. It creates a great deal of unnecessary problems for the club. You could argue clubs should stand up to pain in the azz parents. However, most don't want the headaches and often give up rather than fight. That's when the trouble starts.

Besides, very few daddy coaches are the ones I just described - qualified and fair.

Comment

You misread that. Your costs went up +20%, which includes +7% for CCSL costs and +13% profit for the slimy guy running your club.
                          we moved to ccsl this year and tuition stayed the same.

Comment

we moved to ccsl this year and tuition stayed the same.
                            Ignore the "ccsl costs more" guy. He's always beating the same dead horse. He's probably from CJSA. They've got nothing else to go on other than a slight price difference. Forget the lousy competition and lousy service from the organization clubs pay into

Comment

PS - We have a pretty good pulse on the premier clubs and coaches in our area, so we didn't just jump ship to any outfit, we found the places that were best for each of our kids. And it does vary greatly by age and gender. We are very pleased with what each of our children have taken from their own experiences and that we are not beholden to the buffoons that are ruining our town's local sports organizations.
                              You bash your travel team to no end and then say your kids still play travel. You're an enabler of everything your are bashing. Relax at home a few extra days/night a week and get out of the travel mess you describe. The kids will get over it.

Comment

You bash your travel team to no end and then say your kids still play travel. You're an enabler of everything your are bashing. Relax at home a few extra days/night a week and get out of the travel mess you describe. The kids will get over it.
                                They relax at travel practice ...... its a social event/play date. There is really not much soccer going on there ... just a chance to hang out with friends in town that go to other schools. Like I said, my kids like it but recognize it for what it is. While we don't agree with our soccer club as to what travel soccer should be, we still find a reason for our kids to go there ..... it's kind of like their rec soccer .... its just plain fun like soccer should always be.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X