Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    With the very short notice and little fan fare it is isn't surprising turnout wasn't great. It will build quickly
    And they appear to be limiting the # of registrations per time slot, as several are now listed as waitlist only. I don't know what that # is, but at least they are trying to keep it at a certain player to trainer ratio.

Comment

How do you expect a soccer academy to run without business people involved. It is a business.
      You are correct, it is a business. But tryouts are a function of the technical staff, not business. Maybe their time would have been better spent on marketing and press releases in order to generate theygreatest talent pool possible.
      Hell, the FCBescola schools had more buzz than this "Only owned and operated Barca Academy in the US".

All I'm saying is that there is already a good deal of skepticism that this is just a big money grab by a group of local guys who got Barca to buy in on it. Having people from the business side of things at the tryouts reinforced that skepticism.

I'm being honest when I say that I hope that I am 100% wrong and I will be the first person putting my foot in my mouth if this turns out to be the new "La Masia". For now, I'm going to trust my gut.

Comment

With the very short notice and little fan fare it is isn't surprising turnout wasn't great. It will build quickly
        I agree, but will the name alone convince the best players in the area to leave the top clubs/pre-academy teams before the academy is up and running with some success?

Comment

I agree, but will the name alone convince the best players in the area to leave the top clubs/pre-academy teams before the academy is up and running with some success?
          I'm betting that they will be satisfied with just being able to field teams in every age group, which is no guarantee.

Did they mention the cost?

Comment

I'm betting that they will be satisfied with just being able to field teams in every age group, which is no guarantee.

Did they mention the cost?
            No mention of the cost. Those details will be emailed to us after the tryout process.

The impression that I got from the presentation is that there will be a program/space for all levels of player and that the tryouts were being used to determine where in that "pyramid" the kids fit.

Comment

Appreciate the thoughtful posts. We are too far away or we'd check it out too. I'm also highly dubious. . . .

Comment

No mention of the cost. Those details will be emailed to us after the tryout process.

The impression that I got from the presentation is that there will be a program/space for all levels of player and that the tryouts were being used to determine where in that "pyramid" the kids fit.
                I kind of read that as "We'll cash every check offered to us.".

Comment

I kind of read that as "We'll cash every check offered to us.".
                  Has anyone heard back? We attended the tryout last week, and haven't heard anything. My son is very impressed, I thought it would be another big factory though.

Comment

Has anyone heard back? We attended the tryout last week, and haven't heard anything. My son is very impressed, I thought it would be another big factory though.
                    Didn't go but I have a couple questions:

Did they mention anything about boys or girls DA?

Will they be located in Kings Park?

Thanks

Comment

Thanks
                      If they play in KP it will be a at Tiffany on the old hospital grounds. KP soccer uses them. I am sure they have excess capacity.

Comment

If they play in KP it will be a at Tiffany on the old hospital grounds. KP soccer uses them. I am sure they have excess capacity.
                        I do not believe that is the facility location in King's Park...they indicated it is currently being built.

Comment

I do not believe that is the facility location in King's Park...they indicated it is currently being built.
                          Nothing is currently being built.

Comment

Nothing is currently being built.
                            There have been plans tied to a local who owns average near a solar farm. Also PR was supposed to get involved. PR can't share power so I always doubted that angle.

Like SUSA in CI it's just vaporware for now. I drive by the CI land all the time and there isn't even a trailer on the lot, just overgrowth from lack of maintenance.

On an aside, I have heard from many parents that they would never play in CI, this lot is less than a mile from 6-7 gang deaths over the last 5 years from the nearby park with the recent killings to the killings a few years ago behind the lot on Wilson Avenue.

Comment

Thanks
                              No mention of leagues, doesn't look like DA. Heard 3rd tier team will play NYCSL.

Location next to Golf Park.

Comment

No mention of leagues, doesn't look like DA. Heard 3rd tier team will play NYCSL.

Location next to Golf Park.
                                Doesn't look like DA? How could it have possibly been DA? Honestly, how could a team that doesn't yet exist, has no facilities, and no track record of developing players get awarded a DA team in June? They won't be able to get an NPL or even a Metro league team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X