FC Barcelona hosts tryouts for its youth academy in New York

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone found out where they will train next year or any other info?

Comment

It will be in Kings Park. I took my boy to tryout just to see what it was all about.
      Based on what I saw, I am certain of two things. 1. my son will receive an acceptance notification. 2. We will respectfully decline

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        It will be in Kings Park. I took my boy to tryout just to see what it was all about.
        Based on what I saw, I am certain of two things. 1. my son will receive an acceptance notification. 2. We will respectfully decline
        Where in Kings Park? Not a lot of fields up there besides the two used by the local club.

Comment

Was Messi there?

Comment

Where in Kings Park? Not a lot of fields up there besides the two used by the local club.
            not quite sure, i assumed the only hospital grounds. They may have said during the presentation, but I was too busy rolling my eyes.

Comment

^^ Old hospital grounds

Comment

Was Messi there?
                If by Messi you mean a typical Long Island "business man", with a pot belly, in a warm up suit 3 times too small wearing boat shoes, then yes he was there!

Comment

Yeah, they are going to be desperate for players the first couple of years and the teams are going to struggle as a result.

Comment

If by Messi you mean a typical Long Island "business man", with a pot belly, in a warm up suit 3 times too small wearing boat shoes, then yes he was there!
                    Messi, more like sloppy mess, amirite?

Comment

Yeah, they are going to be desperate for players the first couple of years and the teams are going to struggle as a result.
                      Yep! They did a horrible job of announcing this tryout and there was no press coverage leading up to it. The timing was also terrible, as almost every high level player has already received a commitment at this point. From what I observed, out of approximately 30 kids that showed up, maybe 4 were what I would consider high level players, and I suspect that most of them were there for the same reason we were, just to see what it was all about.

To be fair, the trainers that were there observing the tryouts were great, and seemed to be legit Barca academy staff. They also obviously spent a lot of time and effort on the presentation and set up of the tryouts (which begs the question "why wait to quietly announce them with less than a weeks notice").

This may turn out to be something spectacular years down the road, and Barca may be just wanting to break ground and get things rolling before they go all in on a big marketing blitz, but I couldn't help but notice the vibe of being at a Time Share sales pitch.

Comment

Yep! They did a horrible job of announcing this tryout and there was no press coverage leading up to it. The timing was also terrible, as almost every high level player has already received a commitment at this point. From what I observed, out of approximately 30 kids that showed up, maybe 4 were what I would consider high level players, and I suspect that most of them were there for the same reason we were, just to see what it was all about.

To be fair, the trainers that were there observing the tryouts were great, and seemed to be legit Barca academy staff. They also obviously spent a lot of time and effort on the presentation and set up of the tryouts (which begs the question "why wait to quietly announce them with less than a weeks notice").

This may turn out to be something spectacular years down the road, and Barca may be just wanting to break ground and get things rolling before they go all in on a big marketing blitz, but I couldn't help but notice the vibe of being at a Time Share sales pitch.
                        Is that 30 kids across all age groups or 30 kids in your age group?

Comment

Messi, more like sloppy mess, amirite?
                          There were two groups of people there with the academy. The first group were the young Barca staff/trainers that were observing the kids and giving presentations. They were great.

The second, was a group of local guys who were obviously financially vested/connected in some way. They were hovering around the whole time making it a point to interject in the presentations. At one point I overheard two of them discussing "how to answer questions".

They would have been much better off if the second group wasn't there.

Comment

How do you expect a soccer academy to run without business people involved. It is a business.

Comment

Is that 30 kids across all age groups or 30 kids in your age group?
                              30 in our age group. But I'm being generous with my estimate, it was probably closer to 20.

If the turnout is the same over the next three weeks, that's a pretty big group of kids trying out, and I'm sure they will attract some high level kids to the academy.

Comment

30 in our age group. But I'm being generous with my estimate, it was probably closer to 20.

If the turnout is the same over the next three weeks, that's a pretty big group of kids trying out, and I'm sure they will attract some high level kids to the academy.
                                With the very short notice and little fan fare it is isn't surprising turnout wasn't great. It will build quickly

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X