Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two problems if you don't have positional versatility:

1) If you only play one position, and someone is better at that position than you, then you don't play.

2) If you only know how to play one position, and you end up in a different portion of the field (due to a run, chasing down a defender, switch, etc etc.) then you are useless where you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I would somewhat disagree that center mid is mot important, but I agree multi-position is great, it all changes when your player moves to high school and college. be prepared at all positions!
      I think the OP had a valid question. No need to jump all over him for it.
      Some coaches leave the player in the same role, season after season; thus a natural, single position is established. If you like that, then good for you.

On the flip side, some coaches work to develop their players in various roles. The latter does often pay off at the older ages. Dual role capability becomes important as rosters change, injuries surface, etc.,

Comment

I think the OP had a valid question. No need to jump all over him for it.
        Some coaches leave the player in the same role, season after season; thus a natural, single position is established. If you like that, then good for you.

On the flip side, some coaches work to develop their players in various roles. The latter does often pay off at the older ages. Dual role capability becomes important as rosters change, injuries surface, etc.,
        Agreed a player doesn't need to play all over to develop, but better to try a few than none at all. Too many kids do get pigeonholed too young. Also it gets risky when another better player comes along who plays the same position but better. A flexible player gives the coach many more options to work with and gives a player a better chance for success.

Comment

A coach who has set positions at a young age only cares about winning, and not player development. Simple as that.

Comment

A coach who has set positions at a young age only cares about winning, and not player development. Simple as that.
            Or he's just lazy - plenty of that as well

Comment

A coach who has set positions at a young age only cares winning, and not player development. Simple as that.
              Agreed. This happened with one of my kids. One position, albeit defense so she played all of the time due to his philosophy of never subbing the defense. Thus no development in other areas.

Comment

define younger -- 10U or 12U -- positions should be switched. players naturally graviate to a preferred role. but as coach should encourage versatility.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X