Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Are club coaches adequately informed to advise kids about this? ECNL coaches probably are. How about NPL and top division NEP coaches? When do they know enough about a player to give that type of advice? By summer after freshman year kids start making informal visits to campuses and getting a feel for schools they might consider.
    If a club coach is also a college coach I would think they are certainly qualified. If the club coach at least played college soccer then they are probably qualified. Outside of those qualifications I'd have to doubt club coach's assessment.

Comment

"Don't mean to disrespect you...You've seen a thing or two, but..."

Love the pomposity and arrogance as you just presume by definition that you are the real expert and the person could not possibly know as much or more than you. I don't recall anyone begging for your advice.

Let's see.

A pompous expert. Check.

Disses ECNL and suggests his club which is not (was not) ECNL is the real cutting edge with "research" and the best approach. Check.

Nah, couldn't be him.
      What an arrogant and pompous asshat. Must be one of those ECNL parents whose well know coach was too lazy make a call on their behalf. Can't imagine that there are clubs out there with coaches who will help their players out. Must suck to be confronted with the reality that they were played for a fool and they played right into it. Now the bitterness is understandable.

Comment

1. Players MUST reach out to coaches themselves, and they always cc our coach
        2. We compile emails of all coaches attending (from the website) and circulate our 'flyer' pre tournament
        3. We play all players during each game
        4. Manager (me) hands out 'flyer' at the games and make a quick into, do not bother them
        5. Even if a school reaches out to a player and the player is not interested we ask they respond.
        6. Our coach will reach out to any coach that a player asks. The coach also helps the player set expectations. Don't reach out to Duke if you are a C student and a D3 level player.
        7. Play like your favorite school is watching. Nothing worse than a coach watching and the player is slacking off!

If your team is not doing this, look for another that will. The coach should help, but it is the players responsibility to step up and do most of the work. Resume, short highlight video, calling the coach, season updates, tournament updates, etc.
        The player (not their parents) really is the person who does all the work. They have to figure out who they want the club coach to contact for them and the club coach is only going to make so many of those calls for them.

Our club coach (also a college coach) had our kids start by making a list of ten schools that they were interested in attending and then each family had a serious of discussions where we went through the schools with him to adjust expectations and zero in on ones that seemed to fit the bill from an educational and soccer perspective. He was all about finding the right fit and often told families that they were over shooting. After these meeting he would then contact the coach (many whom he knew personally) to see if there was any interest and open the pathway for our players to work with that coach going forward. I give the coach a lot of credit because a fair number of times what families found out is that their child's ability to play soccer was actually not as high as their ability in the classroom and that had a detrimental impact on the team because while he did set expectations realistically unfortunately not everyone reacted well to it. Those that did listen and followed the program though generally found what they were looking for and almost all of them have had an impact once they got to college. This is the actual example though why the clubs don't want their coaches getting overly involved in the recruiting process because it has a negative impact on the teams and that has a negative impact on their revenue. The trick in club soccer is to find these coaches and let them put your kid's best interests ahead of the club. They are out there.

Comment

Are club coaches adequately informed to advise kids about this? ECNL coaches probably are. How about NPL and top division NEP coaches? When do they know enough about a player to give that type of advice? By summer after freshman year kids start making informal visits to campuses and getting a feel for schools they might consider.
          Yes they should know - doesn't necessarily have to be about specific schools but can at least give examples of schools that would approximate an appropriate soccer level. If a coach knows of a school nearby that is that the level he is recommending then go watch a few home games. With so many schools in this area you can set lots of examples. I don't expect a club coach to be able to advise kids about anything academic-related, just soccer

In the end the player has to do most of the heavy lifting, with the help of family providing counsel and advice (and transportation). However, coaches should be willing to reach out when kids have narrowed their choices and certainly to speak with college coaches if they reach out first.

Comment

The player (not their parents) really is the person who does all the work. They have to figure out who they want the club coach to contact for them and the club coach is only going to make so many of those calls for them.

Our club coach (also a college coach) had our kids start by making a list of ten schools that they were interested in attending and then each family had a serious of discussions where we went through the schools with him to adjust expectations and zero in on ones that seemed to fit the bill from an educational and soccer perspective. He was all about finding the right fit and often told families that they were over shooting. After these meeting he would then contact the coach (many whom he knew personally) to see if there was any interest and open the pathway for our players to work with that coach going forward. I give the coach a lot of credit because a fair number of times what families found out is that their child's ability to play soccer was actually not as high as their ability in the classroom and that had a detrimental impact on the team because while he did set expectations realistically unfortunately not everyone reacted well to it. Those that did listen and followed the program though generally found what they were looking for and almost all of them have had an impact once they got to college. This is the actual example though why the clubs don't want their coaches getting overly involved in the recruiting process because it has a negative impact on the teams and that has a negative impact on their revenue. The trick in club soccer is to find these coaches and let them put your kid's best interests ahead of the club. They are out there.
            Yes, some people can't handle the truth. Our DOC and coach required lists and gave very honest assessments of whether it was a fit - would be an impact player, could start as freshman, maybe starter by junior year, big stretch for you, they only take nt caliber prospects, you would never play, not a fully funded program, etc.

There was a parent and player who took deep offense to the assessment and didn't believe it. You know the type, blamed all the other players for their child's shortcomings, saw good games when their kid struggled, etc. Despite the guidance they chased the big power programs, top 20 schools, etc. went to camps, were pissed when the schools didn't show or if they did didnt understand that it was because they a recruit on the other team...

It was actually sad to watch but eventually they got a nice package from a low D1. Through the process though, there was no convincing them otherwise.

Comment

My gosh you are psychopathic narcissist.

Amazing you have a fiction focused on the coach telling parents they weren't good enough and implicitly the families are making "too much of the soccer", and of course this is meant for the "D3 crowd." With the bonus of these overshooting families ruining things for everyone else. You are the grand wizard DB.

Comment

My gosh you are psychopathic narcissist.

Amazing you have a fiction focused on the coach telling parents they weren't good enough and implicitly the families are making "too much of the soccer", and of course this is meant for the "D3 crowd." With the bonus of these overshooting families ruining things for everyone else. You are the grand wizard DB.
                The sad part is the passage above yours is all too real and it probably hurts a bunch because it actually explains all of your hatred and jealousy.

Comment

The sad part is the passage above yours is all too real and it probably hurts a bunch because it actually explains all of your hatred and jealousy.
                  LOL! No one cares enough to hate you, and certainly no one would be jealous. Maybe you don't know what "jealousy" involves: you yourself would have to have accomplished something, anything. (Being the father of a national-level player doesn't count. Nor does being the son of a locally famous person.) Moreover, no post, ever, seems to have suggested that the nt-level kid isn't an excellent, deserving player and a good person. In fact, maybe you're jealous of her success--which would explain why you've been determined for years to try to direct limelight to yourself.

Comment

What does FC Boston and NEFC/ Breakers have that will be the end of Stars? College coaches helping the process. Now that the Breakers will be on an even playing field with each having the girls DA and ECNL Stars are in trouble. CH was just waiting for this and now down goes Stars. Watch as players flock to Breakers.

Comment

Yes, some people can't handle the truth. Our DOC and coach required lists and gave very honest assessments of whether it was a fit - would be an impact player, could start as freshman, maybe starter by junior year, big stretch for you, they only take nt caliber prospects, you would never play, not a fully funded program, etc.

There was a parent and player who took deep offense to the assessment and didn't believe it. You know the type, blamed all the other players for their child's shortcomings, saw good games when their kid struggled, etc. Despite the guidance they chased the big power programs, top 20 schools, etc. went to camps, were pissed when the schools didn't show or if they did didnt understand that it was because they a recruit on the other team...

It was actually sad to watch but eventually they got a nice package from a low D1. Through the process though, there was no convincing them otherwise.
                      Many families aren't ready to hear the truth. Usually they finally get it but they can waste a lot of time and money (going to school, camps) learning the truth. Some coaches also aren't 100% honest in their assessment either because they know families won't take it well. But having a realistic target is the first place to start.

Comment

LOL! No one cares enough to hate you, and certainly no one would be jealous. Maybe you don't know what "jealousy" involves: you yourself would have to have accomplished something, anything. (Being the father of a national-level player doesn't count. Nor does being the son of a locally famous person.) Moreover, no post, ever, seems to have suggested that the nt-level kid isn't an excellent, deserving player and a good person. In fact, maybe you're jealous of her success--which would explain why you've been determined for years to try to direct limelight to yourself.
                        You certainly seem to care Mr LOL. No denying the frequency of your posts, nor the emotion in them. You care, and you hate. I'm still waiting for you to produce some - any! - content beyond "Nuh-uh BTNT".

I agree that being the parent of an NT level player may not be his accomplishment, but within the realm of TS if that "doesn't count" than what does?

His advice seem pretty sound to me: See realistic goals, responsibility lies more with player/family than club, distant travel not necessary for local college, and grades matter.

Can you refine or improve upon this?
                        Will you share your experience and the lessons learned?

Here's mine: My oldest would have preferred to play soccer in college. I didn't know what I didn't know. She's athletic enough to have played D1, and ended up signing an LOI (w/scholarship) for another sport. She's happy, we are happy. But we did not navigate club soccer nor recruiting process well. Failure is a good teacher. The lessons I learned are consistent with his advice.

Comment

The sad part, the sad part, the sad part....do you cry or laugh more each day? So confused.

Otherwise, BTDT pathetic logic fail #53,984. Anytime you see some bizarre inferences, followed by the standard "actually explains all of your..." you can be sure you have landed in BTDT-land.

Comment

You certainly seem to care Mr LOL. No denying the frequency of your posts, nor the emotion in them. You care, and you hate. I'm still waiting for you to produce some - any! - content beyond "Nuh-uh BTNT".

I agree that being the parent of an NT level player may not be his accomplishment, but within the realm of TS if that "doesn't count" than what does?

His advice seem pretty sound to me: See realistic goals, responsibility lies more with player/family than club, distant travel not necessary for local college, and grades matter.

Here's mine: My oldest would have preferred to play soccer in college. I didn't know what I didn't know. She's athletic enough to have played D1, and ended up signing an LOI (w/scholarship) for another sport. She's happy, we are happy. But we did not navigate club soccer nor recruiting process well. Failure is a good teacher. The lessons I learned are consistent with his advice.
                            I think people's problem with BTDT is not that reasonable sounding advice, it is that his version of "set reasonable goals" is to say that everyone's kids are "talentless" and that if one is interested in d3 they are somehow losers.

(And that parents are duped, bitter and hysterical).

Comment

This has zero to do with soccer specifically and certainly zero to do with any unsolicited advice from the brilliant one. We all know parents who overestimate their kids and what their outcomes must be for all kinds of endeavors.

Comment

Well, then, with all due respect (and I'm not the poster you responded to), you royally screwed up. You got her a scholarship with another sport but just couldn't figure out soccer even though she preferred soccer? Wow.

BTDT's "advice" is standard...nothing new or that anyone wouldn't figure out through commonsense, a year of observation and a decent brain. Not to mention that he insists on "sharing" his advice for reasons having zero to do with helping out the slow ones like you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X