Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes it is silly and it makes the claims silly. Certainly if you get trounced it calls into questions wether you are the best in the state let alone the best in the country. Could "the best" lose of course but it so nebulous its best to avoid the hyperbole and grandiose claims of dominance unless your resume is flawless.
    Not really. Teams lose in sports all the time at one point or another, for many reasons (bad day, injury, hot keeper, just not good, you name it).

By your logic, only an undefeated team will ever be considered best. So, we have a nation made up of 2nd-bests.

Comment

Yes it is silly and it makes the claims silly. Certainly if you get trounced it calls into questions wether you are the best in the state let alone the best in the country. Could "the best" lose of course but it so nebulous its best to avoid the hyperbole and grandiose claims of dominance unless your resume is flawless.
      Agreed if people said "my son is on a really good team and they won a pretty good tournament out west" there would be much less or no trolling. Too bad that reality is insufficient for both club and parents.

Comment

The team was outstanding but it doesn't even exist any more, many are now playing DAP. Once you start talking about some mythical "national championships" against second rate teams then you are opening up the door for ridicule, like it or not. There is a team a few miles away that NEFC team played six or seven times over the years and never beat.

Comment

Not really. Teams lose in sports all the time at one point or another, for many reasons (bad day, injury, hot keeper, just not good, you name it).

By your logic, only an undefeated team will ever be considered best. So, we have a nation made up of 2nd-bests.
          No not necassarily. I'm not valeo parent but watching the pre revs 02 team do what they did over the past 4 years I think they could claim best in state comfortably. Largely based on nefc and valeo being the two best consistently and valeo always winning the nefc tournament. Leave the state and things get way too hard to measure.

Who'd you beat?
          Who'd you lose to?
          Did you just collect tons of GS points?(some trips aren't worth it competition wise)

You must see how substance has to support a grandiose claim. Or else be comfortable Toni g it down a little

Comment

So, since individual in-season results rank more than the overall body of work,

I welcome you to the XLVIII Super Bowl Champion Kansas City Chiefs. They, afterall, trounced the Patriots that year.

Comment

So, since individual in-season results rank more than the overall body of work,

I welcome you to the XLVIII Super Bowl Champion Kansas City Chiefs. They, afterall, trounced the Patriots that year.
              That's crazy talk. You need to work on your analogies.

The patriots in a playoff system beat the best teams in the world. Which ulittle are you saying had a similar accomplishment at their age level?

Comment

That's crazy talk. You need to work on your analogies.

The patriots in a playoff system beat the best teams in the world. Which ulittle are you saying had a similar accomplishment at their age level?
                Hey, I majored in Analogous Studies at Local U.

It was stated that they can't be the best in the Nation, since they lost to Valeo 4-1 in the Fall. So, based on that one single result, nothing else matters.

I still maintain this is silly as I agree basing a title of stupid GS points is a fallacy. Just pointing out how that one result referenced means absolutely nothing.

Comment

Hey, I majored in Analogous Studies at Local U.

It was stated that they can't be the best in the Nation, since they lost to Valeo 4-1 in the Fall. So, based on that one single result, nothing else matters.

I still maintain this is silly as I agree basing a title of stupid GS points is a fallacy. Just pointing out how that one result referenced means absolutely nothing.
                  I wouldn't say they can't but when you are hanging your hat on GS points the rest of the resume better be pretty tight. I've seen these debates on TS before and many claim the title and feel the burden of proof to debunk the title falls to the detractors.

All to often the title is linked to an inferior tournament, watered down league, or GS points. The nefc 02's were also #1 in the nation for a week or so that appears to be one of the clubs goals. As referenced in a previous post they never beat valeo.

These claims need to be much much more solid.

Congrats on the degree.

Comment

I agree with everything...except for the notion that they never beat Valeo. That means nothing to the overall point.

Comment

I agree with everything...except for the notion that they never beat Valeo. That means nothing to the overall point.
                      I'm not valeo but they were the two best teams and if valeo won all ~ 6 times they played valeo would be right to balk at claims of best in ....

To clarify I'm not trying to trumpet valeos greatness either

Comment

I'm not valeo but they were the two best teams and if valeo won all ~ 6 times they played valeo would be right to balk at claims of best in ....

To clarify I'm not trying to trumpet valeos greatness either
                        Did they? One was mentioned.

Comment

Did they? One was mentioned.
                          Sorry the beat the 02 "national champion" team. I haven't checked 03's other than see the one time in the fall

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X