• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Da is pay to play. The MLS teams are funded and a few other clubs

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Some Da is pay to play. The MLS teams are funded and a few other clubs
      There's what 22 MLS clubs and even then one or two still charge something. That leaves almost all the rest pay to play. Girls will have no free to play other that about 5 clubs who said they will do it and the odd scholarship here and there.

Comment

WYSA's ranting about pay-to-play is so disingenuous given how much WYSA has served the big Washington clubs - they give Seattle U a monopoly in the city of Seattle to play RCL and be defined as premier. Same thing in other regions of the metro (xfire, Eastside, Washington Premier). They have been hemorrhaging clubs because of this to US Club. DA + ECNL has further eroded their base . . .

Fine for them to rant about pay-to-play but the little monopoly they set up for the big clubs certainly served it well, until DA and ECNL started eating their lunch.

Yes USYSA is antiquated; not sure how threatening to leave helps what is left of WYSA.

Comment

Rumor is that WYS and USYS are working on a resolution. So nothing will change. Who knows what WYS really wanted. The SA article
          http://www.socceramerica.com/article...s-back-at.html
          has the 'issues' but the only thing I see is that WYS wants only one highest level of competition (DA and GDA) and wants to get rid of any competition for that level (so get rid of ODP and ECNL). The highest level will, no doubt, be populated by Crossfire and whatever other club wins the power struggle.

Now if WYS were arguing that US Soccer should take charge and

a) allow only the MLS clubs to run the DA and GDA teams
          b) forbid all association between MLS and youth clubs to remove any club favoritism
          c) create league system based purely on promotion and relegation that is open to all clubs

that would be a "major schism". Right now it is just another tactic to try to kill clubs and close options so that players are funneled where they "should" be.

Comment

Washington Youth Soccer is a disaster

Washington Youth Soccer has been a problem for a long time. Some qualified coaches, because they are not part of a big organization, are not allowed to put their club in the RCL. They have to be under the big clubs created by the association to be able to put their program there. I have been fighting this program for years. As you remember, Bobby Howe, was the one who created the separation so that the big clubs would hold all the power. (His plan ended up backfiring and he and Emerald City were ousted from WYSA). I addressed this problem at the last AGM with Christopher Moore, CEO of USYSA. We talked about all of the experienced and qualified coaches who want to have their own clubs, but because of Seattle United, they are not allowed to be a part of the RCL, so they’ve been forced to work with DOCs and other coaches who aren’t qualified to be running these programs. Mergers were forced upon clubs so that certain people were to have all of the power. On my own, I went directly to Terry Fisher to discuss this problem and I didn’t feel that he got my message. Basically he ignored me. There is no reason for the association to make a monopoly for some people. Years ago, we started PSPL because of this problem with Washington Youth Soccer. I don’t think the letter Terry sent to address the issue explained anything about the problem. How do you say that you want help the recreational to elite players when you push out the qualified coaches? 10 or 15 years ago, Washington State was the number one pool for National team players and since Terry took over, he hasn’t developed anything. You cannot take the association to partner with one club, like the Seattle Sounders. You don’t see the Seahawks partnering with every youth football club in Washington. That is not the way soccer outside of the US works. We love the Sounders here in Seattle, but we don’t want every youth program to become the Sounders. England is a small country, and not every club is Manchester United. I started to pursue Washington SAY Premier League because I knew that this problem was coming. When I was telling the people that this was going to happen, they thought I was crazy. Now you lost all the power in Washington State with no ODP, no EPD, no state cup and the associations no longer belong to WYSA because USYSA has dismantled it already. I don’t think that Terry’s letter addressed the issues or problems, it was sent out to give false hope, it’s a scam. I created WASAYPL to give people another option. The recreation programs and NPSL can use WASAYPL and SAY Soccer to continue their leagues. SAY soccer is an association who cares about kids playing soccer, they aren’t about taking advantage of people. The deductible for WASAYPL is $100. The deductible for Washington Youth Soccer is $10,000, yet they claim they care about all of their members from the bottom up. Why does the rec player have to pay $10,000 if they get injured? I support Crossfire and Bernie James for separating themselves and demanding independence. Check out WASAYPL and see what we have planned for the new league.

The WASAYPL is looking to build a division with teams in southwest WA and metro Portland, Oregon areas. Check out WASAYPL

www.wasaypl.com

Alex Kajumulo
            206-765-9907

There are photos of me with all of the big guys in US Soccer.
            Sunil Gulati US Soccer Federation
            Kevin Payne, US Club Soccer
            Terry Fisher, WYSA
            Christopher Moore, USYSA

Comment

Thanks Alex! Will pass this along!

Comment

Rumor is that WYS and USYS are working on a resolution. So nothing will change. Who knows what WYS really wanted. The SA article
                http://www.socceramerica.com/article...s-back-at.html
                has the 'issues' but the only thing I see is that WYS wants only one highest level of competition (DA and GDA) and wants to get rid of any competition for that level (so get rid of ODP and ECNL). The highest level will, no doubt, be populated by Crossfire and whatever other club wins the power struggle.

Now if WYS were arguing that US Soccer should take charge and

a) allow only the MLS clubs to run the DA and GDA teams
                b) forbid all association between MLS and youth clubs to remove any club favoritism
                c) create league system based purely on promotion and relegation that is open to all clubs

that would be a "major schism". Right now it is just another tactic to try to kill clubs and close options so that players are funneled where they "should" be.
                I dont understand your logic. Is crossfire associated with MLS?

Comment

a) meant get rid of all non-MLS DA teams, so get rid of Crossfire DA and all other club-based DAs (and GDAs).

Club DA team gives that club access to a league that is closed to other clubs and it is used to direct players to the non-DA pay-to-play teams. Crossfire has a rule about DA players being required to spend a certain # of years on their pay-to-play teams or pay-to-participate pre-academy program. Doesn't apply if you are out of area, but if you in commuting range of Crossfire and want to tryout for Crossfire DA later? Gotta pony up at the younger ages.

Comment

a) meant get rid of all non-MLS DA teams, so get rid of Crossfire DA and all other club-based DAs (and GDAs).

Club DA team gives that club access to a league that is closed to other clubs and it is used to direct players to the non-DA pay-to-play teams. Crossfire has a rule about DA players being required to spend a certain # of years on their pay-to-play teams or pay-to-participate pre-academy program. Doesn't apply if you are out of area, but if you in commuting range of Crossfire and want to tryout for Crossfire DA later? Gotta pony up at the younger ages.
                    Seriously?

Comment

There was a long discussion about this on the WA forum back in Feb 2015. I seemed to recall it spilled over to the Oregon forum too.

http://washingtonpremiersoccer.com/f...html#msg335204

Thoughts seemed to be split. Many felt like it's a fair requirement if the club's DA team is free to the players. Others were furious that USSF would grant such an advantage to one club over others and felt that it invited abuse by the club.

Comment

Not leaving
                        https://usys-assets.ae-admin.com/ass...0Statement.pdf

Comment

quote:

"We do apologize for all the angst and inconvenience that this has caused all the stakeholders of Washington Youth Soccer and US Youth Soccer members."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X