• Show
Clear All

UMass Lowell Women's Coach Steps Down

http://www.goriverhawks.com/news/201...cer-coach.aspx

about time

Comment

He is leaving Aztecs, too!

Comment

He was a passive-aggressive psycho. Players hated him. Oh, and he couldn't coach, either.

Comment

Mens asst will get this job.

Comment

Never watch a girl's game after a men's game. I made that mistake this year and stayed after a very good Lowell men's game to watch the girl's. It was painfully boring.

Comment

he couldn't/didn't coach, just yelled and intimidated. The one and only thing that he was good at is recruiting. At best he's a lifetime assistant who can recruit for someone who actually knows how to coach soccer. (Even as a recruiter, though, I know parents who said he came off a bit creepy at times.)

Interesting that UML announced this as a "resignation," because I believe his initial 3-year contract was up this year. Was he asked to resign or did UML just not renew his contract? Can't find any indication or announcement that he has landed a new job anywhere. You would think that if he were afraid about not being renewed that he would have other irons in the fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                he couldn't/didn't coach, just yelled and intimidated. The one and only thing that he was good at is recruiting. At best he's a lifetime assistant who can recruit for someone who actually knows how to coach soccer. (Even as a recruiter, though, I know parents who said he came off a bit creepy at times.)

Interesting that UML announced this as a "resignation," because I believe his initial 3-year contract was up this year. Was he asked to resign or did UML just not renew his contract? Can't find any indication or announcement that he has landed a new job anywhere. You would think that if he were afraid about not being renewed that he would have other irons in the fire.
                Its the creepy part that got him in trouble.

Comment

This just in...

Aztec Soccer is delighted to announce that Joel Bancroft will join the Aztec staff as the Girls’ Director, overseeing all girls in the program from age U11 through U19. Bancroft recently stepped down from the division one UMass-Lowell women’s head coaching position, where he inherited a program that was 1-16-1 in its first year of NCAA D1 transition and in three short years guided the program to its first America East playoff berth in 2016.
                  “Joel expressed to our senior staff that he was interested in starting a family, and that the division one travel schedule limited those possibilities. With all of his experience, and the connections he has built throughout his career, we feel extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to bring Joel on board in this capacity,” said Aztec President Mike Kersker.
                  “After getting a sense of the Aztec community in the short period of time I have been here, I can see Aztec is a special club where the possibilities for both players and coaches are endless. They truly develop talented players. The fact that the Aztec program has sent over 350 players on to play collegiate soccer speaks directly to that overall development,” said Bancroft.
                  “Bringing Joel on as the Girls’ Director lightens the load on current Director of Coaching Greg Cosgrove. It now gives Greg the ability to focus on advancing the club in other ways for our players, both on and off the field,” said Jared Scarpaci, Aztec Vice President.
                  “I personally couldn’t be more delighted. Joel is a great person first and foremost, but he also brings the experience and professionalism you need in a role like this,” Cosgrove said.
                  Joel will start in his new role with immediate effect.

Comment

Aztec Soccer is delighted to announce that Joel Bancroft will join the Aztec staff as the Girls’ Director, overseeing all girls in the program from age U11 through U19. Bancroft recently stepped down from the division one UMass-Lowell women’s head coaching position, where he inherited a program that was 1-16-1 in its first year of NCAA D1 transition and in three short years guided the program to its first America East playoff berth in 2016.
                    Reading that it wounded like he was successful - then I read the press release which didn't impress me (ok maybe they're not awful any longer just less than awful)

"Bancroft worked four years for the River Hawks, including a three-year stint as head coach. During his tenure, Bancroft complied a 16-35-3 overall record, including an 8-15-1 mark in America East play. The River Hawks are coming off their most successful Division I season yet, with a 5-10-2 overall mark and a 3-5-0 record in league play this past season. Had the squad been eligible for post-season play, the River Hawks would have qualified for a spot in the America East Championship for the first time since the university's transition to Division I."

Then there's the "wants to start a family" bit. Companies use "spend more time with family" line when they can someone.

Comment

“Joel expressed to our senior staff that he was interested in starting a family, and that the division one travel schedule limited those possibilities. With all of his experience, and the connections he has built throughout his career, we feel extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to bring Joel on board in this capacity,” said Aztec President Mike Kersker.
                      “After getting a sense of the Aztec community in the short period of time I have been here, I can see Aztec is a special club where the possibilities for both players and coaches are endless. They truly develop talented players. The fact that the Aztec program has sent over 350 players on to play collegiate soccer speaks directly to that overall development,” said Bancroft.
                      “Bringing Joel on as the Girls’ Director lightens the load on current Director of Coaching Greg Cosgrove. It now gives Greg the ability to focus on advancing the club in other ways for our players, both on and off the field,” said Jared Scarpaci, Aztec Vice President.
                      “I personally couldn’t be more delighted. Joel is a great person first and foremost, but he also brings the experience and professionalism you need in a role like this,” Cosgrove said.
                      Joel will start in his new role with immediate effect.
                      This is the news? We are hiring the guy we already hired because he got fired?

Comment

This is the news? We are hiring the guy we already hired because he got fired?
                        I'd run fast away from any club this guy is running. The Lowell women's team was very bad.

Comment

Reading that it wounded like he was successful - then I read the press release which didn't impress me (ok maybe they're not awful any longer just less than awful)

"Bancroft worked four years for the River Hawks, including a three-year stint as head coach. During his tenure, Bancroft complied a 16-35-3 overall record, including an 8-15-1 mark in America East play. The River Hawks are coming off their most successful Division I season yet, with a 5-10-2 overall mark and a 3-5-0 record in league play this past season. Had the squad been eligible for post-season play, the River Hawks would have qualified for a spot in the America East Championship for the first time since the university's transition to Division I."

Then there's the "wants to start a family" bit. Companies use "spend more time with family" line when they can someone.
                          Word is that he was sampling the good's.

Comment

I'd run fast away from any club this guy is running. The Lowell women's team was very bad.
                            Agree 100%. His record over 4 years at Lowell was down right awful. This guy cannot coach. Resign - my arrssee. He was canned. He was already the girls DOC at Aztec. Aztec was bragging that he was a Div. 1 coach and how he was going to help with college recruiting. The truth is he sucked as a D! coach, was fired and now is at a club on it's last leg. This guy is no help to Aztec.

Comment

Word is that he was sampling the good's.
                              WHOA!!! That's a pretty big allegation. I hope you have actual FACTS to back that up with because that goes WAY beyond the level of even some of the trolls on this site.

No doubt that Bancroft was not a good coach or a good person. He chased players and assistants away left and right and created a toxic atmosphere among his players. However, I have a personal connection to this team and have never heard anything about Bancroft (who is married) being a predator.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X