Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No more kneeling by NFL players...so TRUMP wins again!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The most accurate post here. The good thing is the silent majority has finally noticed what has slowly crept into every part of their lives and are talking about it every day within their households.

The tide is slowly and quietly pushing back because they are sick and tired of the same ole crap of people trying to talk down to them and make them feel bad. A bunch of fricken narcissistic people on every platform.
    Truth

Comment

If employee behavior is hurting a companies bottom line, you’d be hard pressed to find a company that would not deal with that behavior in order to affect change. The NFL has clearly been hit in the wallet and so change happened.
      NFL has been paid for it's patriotic charade. That is what will get it in the end if it goes to court. Solution? Play it at the games for the audience present (while they buy beers and take a dump) but don't broadcast it. Problem solved.

"Tom E. Curran of Comcast Sportsnet New England reported in a story published on 29 August 2016 that teams standing together on the field during the playing of the national anthem was a relatively recent development in NFL history: “NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy confirmed this the practice began in 2009, adding, ‘As you know, the NFL has a long tradition of patriotism. Players are encouraged but not required to stand for the anthem.'”

What actually changed in 2009, according to NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy, was that (due to network timing issues) players had previously remained in their locker rooms during the playing of the national anthem for primetime games. After 2009, players appeared in the sidelines for the anthem during primetime games, just as they had been doing all along for Sunday afternoon games. (The distinction often went unnoticed by viewers, as network telecasts frequently didn’t air the pre-game anthem ceremonies.)

ESPN commentator Stephen A. Smith referenced Currant’s report during a segment on 14 September 2016, adding a “paid patriotism” element to the mix:

The players were moved to the field during the national anthem because it was seen as a marketing strategy to make the athletes look more patriotic. The United States Department of Defense paid the National Football League $5.4 million between 2011 and 2014, and the National Guard [paid] $6.7 million between 2013 and 2015 to stage on-field patriotic ceremonies as part of military recruitment budget-line items.

The practice of “paid patriotism” came to light on 30 April 2015, when Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) released a statement chiding the New Jersey Army National Guard for paying between $97,000 and $115,000 to the New York Jets for a series of promotions involving military personnel. That November, Flake and fellow Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain issued a report stating that the Defense Department had been paying for patriotic displays in football and other sports between 2011 and 2014:

Contrary to the public statements made by DOD and the NFL, the majority of the contracts — 72 of the 122 contracts we analyzed — clearly show that DOD paid for patriotic tributes at professional football, baseball, basketball, hockey, and soccer games. These paid tributes included on-field color guard, enlistment and reenlistment ceremonies, performances of the national anthem, full-field flag details, ceremonial first pitches͕ and puck drops. The National Guard paid teams for the “opportunity” to sponsor military appreciation nights and to recognize its birthday. It paid the Buffalo Bills to sponsor its Salute to the Service game. DOD even paid teams for the “opportunity” to perform surprise welcome home promotions for troops returning from deployments and to recognize wounded warriors. While well intentioned, we wonder just how many of these displays included a disclaimer that these events were in fact sponsored by the DOD at taxpayer expense. Even with that disclosure, it is hard to understand how a team accepting taxpayer funds to sponsor a military appreciation game, or to recognize wounded warriors or returning troops, can be construed as anything other than paid patriotism."

Comment

Nah, it still is valid. The players are being told by their employer they must stand during the anthem. There are numerous SC rulings saying you do no have to do so, not even for an employer.
        Nah, not really valid. No player is being told they must stand during the National Anthem. They are given the option to stay in the locker room and not participate. It is completely their choice.

Comment

Bottom line is NFL is screwed just as DT wanted it. He inserted himself into this deep and made it uber political and not the NFL can not win.

They piss off lots of fans either way. This one definitely goes to DT exacting his revenge on the NFL. Personally, DT could give a rats ass. This is strictly business.

Comment

Coming on the heels of Memorial Day, one in which I spent far too much time watching a bunch of Band of Brothers episodes on HBO.....

These spoiled athletes can suck it. They have it so good, the least they can do is respect the flag and what it represents.

Entitled citizens enjoying the freedoms provided and protected by other. Ungrateful. Spoiled. Disconnected.

Comment

Coming on the heels of Memorial Day, one in which I spent far too much time watching a bunch of Band of Brothers episodes on HBO.....

These spoiled athletes can suck it. They have it so good, the least they can do is respect the flag and what it represents.

Entitled citizens enjoying the freedoms provided and protected by other. Ungrateful. Spoiled. Disconnected.
              Save your salute for someone that appreciates it. The NFL wants your money not your salute. If they thought they would make more siding with the players, they would do that.
              ABC cancelled roseanne over money. They are not concerned with her politics - but the advertisers are.

Comment

Bottom line is NFL is screwed just as DT wanted it. He inserted himself into this deep and made it uber political and not the NFL can not win.

They piss off lots of fans either way. This one definitely goes to DT exacting his revenge on the NFL. Personally, DT could give a rats ass. This is strictly business.
                Seriously??? Another thing to blame Trump for? Trump made this political? Gee, I thought it started with Colin Kaepernick well before Trump took office. I didn’t know it was Trump that took a knee in protest a couple years back for social injustice. Damn it! I just bit my tongue...f u c k i n g TRUMP!!!

Comment

So prior poster claims it isn't about the flag but protesting police brutality against African Americans. Which is it? can't have it both ways. Let me guess - you're white? Many vets agree that no one should be forced to stand or pledge allegiance. That's what they fought for - the freedom to chose.

Comment

Seriously??? Another thing to blame Trump for? Trump made this political? Gee, I thought it started with Colin Kaepernick well before Trump took office. I didn’t know it was Trump that took a knee in protest a couple years back for social injustice. Damn it! I just bit my tongue...f u c k i n g TRUMP!!!
                    If Trump hadn't inserted his ugly mug into the debate it would have gone away. When he saw them taking a hit he pounced on it. He's the one calling players SOB's who should be kicked out of the country. He's pandering to his base but he also he HATES the NFL because he couldn't get a NY franchise.

Comment

And they are. Have u seen the attendance and viewing numbers? Why do u think the NFL imposes the new rule...to stop the bleeding!
                      Viewership has been declining for years. The reality is the kneeling is having a negligible affect on viewership. That said the whole debate is pushing people on both sides away from the game because of the debate in general.

The truth of the matter is, people are making it about the flag because they don't like hearing that black people are being mistreated by police officers. So instead of hearing that reason they make it about patriotism.

Comment

Educate yourself. He hates the NFL. They refused to give him a franchise.

Comment

Viewership has been declining for years. The reality is the kneeling is having a negligible affect on viewership. That said the whole debate is pushing people on both sides away from the game because of the debate in general.

The truth of the matter is, people are making it about the flag because they don't like hearing that black people are being mistreated by police officers. So instead of hearing that reason they make it about patriotism.
                          People don't like to hear about anyone being mistreated by police officers, regardless of color. It's terrible.

I love our country and think you should show respect for our flag and veterans.

The two are not mutually exclusive, I'm sorry you think they are.

Comment

True it has been declining for many reasons, not just this. I grew tired of 3.5 hour games and constant stoppages, but the kicker for me was the whole concussion thing. Anyway, the NFL is scrambling to try and improve its image but this action won't help, except with the base. Is that enough to sustain the NFL?

Comment

It's the white folk most upset by it, naturally. They don't mind rich white owners telling black athletes what to do.

Comment

People don't like to hear about anyone being mistreated by police officers, regardless of color. It's terrible.

I love our country and think you should show respect for our flag and veterans.

The two are not mutually exclusive, I'm sorry you think they are.
                                Not standing for the flag doesn't mean the athletes don't care about this country. That also is not mutually exclusive.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X