Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    the DA program is not looking after the best interests of the kids. It is trying to grind out some better skill levels. What they overlook is what kids need to be happy.

Kids would much rather play games so the train more, play less is bad.

Kids want to win tournaments, titles, state cups, surf cup..etc. DA pretty much eliminates all of that.
    Our local rec club grinds out more 'programs' each season of the year and email blasts them to us (fall,winter, spring,summer) for rec level kids and strategically calls them development opportunities. Then they charge families in the end far more than the elite DA level players ever dream of paying.

In this crusade of relentlessly capturing any disposable dollars from these newbie parents of rec players and then gives the kiddos labels PDP etc..

No such thing as 'free' play anymore, it's sick, twisted and appalling.

Comment

What started as an interesting question and dialogue regresses to touting agendas.

Comment

Yes it has

What started as an interesting question and dialogue regresses to touting agendas.
        Yes it has. I am the OP. What I got out of this is everything is expensive, basketball, gymnastics, music lesson. It is just different from when I was growing up.

Thank you to those who responded.

Comment

Many truths expressed. Could care less about the elite DA level, but the insights regarding club soccer are revealing and very disgusting.

Comment

Is club soccer worth it?

I don't see a player getting out of youth soccer paying nothing less than 16K (that would be 2K a year for eight years). GDA and ECNL way more! GDA route 21K ECNL 40K over the youth career?

There is the life experience and lessons but that can be duplicated elsewhere. Why not just be a multi sport middle school and high school athlete and save the money. High school coaches can teach you life is hard just like the club coaches. Unless you are the best player on the team all coaches seem bad.

I don't understand America's desire to invest so much money in soccer. The only athletes that truly make out are D1 Football and D1 men's basket ball.
            We invested 40k and it paid back to the tune of well over 100k in college athletic tuition scholarship. I think we did ok.

Comment

Our local rec club grinds out more 'programs' each season of the year and email blasts them to us (fall,winter, spring,summer) for rec level kids and strategically calls them development opportunities. Then they charge families in the end far more than the elite DA level players ever dream of paying.

In this crusade of relentlessly capturing any disposable dollars from these newbie parents of rec players and then gives the kiddos labels PDP etc..

A rec club has no business twisting anyone's arm. They make such opportunities available, and they might even be fun for your DS or DD, but when my kids did rec, it was less than $100 per kid (once for fall, once for spring). Uniforms were likewise low-cost. No pressure to do anything, and the furthest we had to travel in rec was to Forest Grove. (Usually got our asses kicked out there...)

If a "rec" club is attempting to require you to purchase any add-ons, etc.--find a different rec club, or complain to the sanctioning league. Rules of rec are simple and straightforward: You pay your fee and show up for practice, your kid gets to play. No tryouts, no discrimination based on skill, no outside training requirements allowed.

If, OTOH, you are the sort of tool who cannot handle an unwanted email solicitation without either a) freaking out about how dare the sanctity of your inbox be violated, or b) viewing it as a command which must be obeyed, then your kid has my sympathies.

If a rec club and/or its business partners are Hoovering thousands of dollars out of your wallet... your problem can likely be found in the mirror.

Comment

We invested 40k and it paid back to the tune of well over 100k in college athletic tuition scholarship. I think we did ok.
                We didn't invest more than 10K over 5 years and came away with nearly 185 thousand in aid for college tuition, room & board & books.

Spending anything more would of been pointless at the youth Oregon soccer level, who in their right mind would throw 40K to travel for youth sports. Maybe a Gymnast, Golfer & Tennis player perhaps.

That doesn't include the nearly 100K the schools spent on competitive travel over 4 seasons.

Never approached it as something to invest to get a return in college, grades took care that.

Most of the yo-yo's that spend 40k to 50K get no college athletic aid and regret the decision. jus sayin.

Comment

And of course there's "free play"--it's called pick-up games. Perhaps they don't occur in your neighborhood. But try this: Head down to sports authority, by a pop-up goal (they can be had for less than $100, and a good one will cost about $150) and set it up in your cul-de-sac, driveway, backyard, etc. Toss a ball into the net. Maybe, just maybe, the neighborhood kids might start playing. Depending on your neighborhood, the quality of this may be very low or very high, but kids will gladly play soccer in the street or in a patch of grass. You can even use cones or backpacks for the goal if a pop-up goal is too much.

If you like futsal, many of the futsal gyms have open gym times, where anyone can show up and play for a small fee. Not free, but doesn't require joining a league.

Comment

A rec club has no business twisting anyone's arm. They make such opportunities available, and they might even be fun for your DS or DD, but when my kids did rec, it was less than $100 per kid (once for fall, once for spring). Uniforms were likewise low-cost. No pressure to do anything, and the furthest we had to travel in rec was to Forest Grove. (Usually got our asses kicked out there...)
                    If a "rec" club is attempting to require you to purchase any add-ons, etc.--find a different rec club, or complain to the sanctioning league. Rules of rec are simple and straightforward: You pay your fee and show up for practice, your kid gets to play. No tryouts, no discrimination based on skill, no outside training requirements allowed.
                    If, OTOH, you are the sort of tool who cannot handle an unwanted email solicitation without either a) freaking out about how dare the sanctity of your inbox be violated, or b) viewing it as a command which must be obeyed, then your kid has my sympathies.
                    If a rec club and/or its business partners are Hoovering thousands of dollars out of your wallet... your problem can likely be found in the mirror.
                    On a serious note why would my rec club ever want to send one of it's members unsolicited/unwanted emails? Does your club blast this kind of advertising? With add on's for their DOC's private business enterprises solicitation? Kinda sticky if that's the case.

Also why would a DOC or local rec club staff try to market prospective sales to it's geographic community membership?

Why not instead, take this enterprise into the real world and stay out of non-profit clubs that aren't formed to serve private business schemes?

I've heard of a few clubs that can't help themselves and have crossed the line as far as non-profit ethics. More to come.

Comment

And of course there's "free play"--it's called pick-up games. Perhaps they don't occur in your neighborhood. But try this: Head down to sports authority, by a pop-up goal (they can be had for less than $100, and a good one will cost about $150) and set it up in your cul-de-sac, driveway, backyard, etc. Toss a ball into the net. Maybe, just maybe, the neighborhood kids might start playing. Depending on your neighborhood, the quality of this may be very low or very high, but kids will gladly play soccer in the street or in a patch of grass. You can even use cones or backpacks for the goal if a pop-up goal is too much.

If you like futsal, many of the futsal gyms have open gym times, where anyone can show up and play for a small fee. Not free, but doesn't require joining a league.
                      That era is long gone. Great memories and development though.

Signed your local struggling millennial club coach (private trainer too!).

Comment

We didn't invest more than 10K over 5 years and came away with nearly 185 thousand in aid for college tuition, room & board & books.

Spending anything more would of been pointless at the youth Oregon soccer level, who in their right mind would throw 40K to travel for youth sports. Maybe a Gymnast, Golfer & Tennis player perhaps.

That doesn't include the nearly 100K the schools spent on competitive travel over 4 seasons.

Never approached it as something to invest to get a return in college, grades took care that.

Most of the yo-yo's that spend 40k to 50K get no college athletic aid and regret the decision. jus sayin.
                        Yeah I said over 100k in athletic funds. My kid isn't book smart. Without soccer she probably wouldn't go to college. So smart investment for me. My guess is your child is smart and would have done most of that with or without soccer so good on you.

Comment

Yes it has. I am the OP. What I got out of this is everything is expensive, basketball, gymnastics, music lesson. It is just different from when I was growing up.

Thank you to those who responded.
                          From my experience even if you are talking about a multisport high school athlete they are still playing club sports and paying for club sports. Other than boys (american) football, track& field, cross country you do not see high school athletes that are not playing club as well: Basketball, soccer lacrosse, wrestling, volleyball, gymnastics, baseball, etc. . I think the days of the just picking up a sport in high school are long gone. In many sports it is no longer club is needed for college, now it is club is needed for high school.

Comment

Yeah I said over 100k in athletic funds. My kid isn't book smart. Without soccer she probably wouldn't go to college. So smart investment for me. My guess is your child is smart and would have done most of that with or without soccer so good on you.
                            So she went straight to the NWSL Thorns or abroad since college wasn't in the plans. Got it.

It will only take a 15 year career to recoup that investment, does she eat or need living expenses currently. Not to clever.

Comment

From my experience even if you are talking about a multisport high school athlete they are still playing club sports and paying for club sports. Other than boys (american) football, track& field, cross country you do not see high school athletes that are not playing club as well: Basketball, soccer lacrosse, wrestling, volleyball, gymnastics, baseball, etc. . I think the days of the just picking up a sport in high school are long gone. In many sports it is no longer club is needed for college, now it is club is needed for high school.
                              Club is for the recreational player. HS is for the real players. Love it.

Comment

That’s great!
                                But if that was your goal from the beginning then you failed your child.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X