Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECNL vs NPL experience

My daughter is debating a move to an ecnl program, she has been playing NPL for years. Not entirely impressed with level of play lately. Looking for more but has concerns about it being cut throat atmosphere - any suggestions or feedback appreciated.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My daughter is debating a move to an ecnl program, she has been playing NPL for years. Not entirely impressed with level of play lately. Looking for more but has concerns about it being cut throat atmosphere - any suggestions or feedback appreciated.
    Don’t go Alby. Teams are bad and may get boot. If Nassau go EMSC if Suffolk go Susa. Either will be a better experience for your daughter.

Comment

Don’t go Alby. Teams are bad and may get boot. If Nassau go EMSC if Suffolk go Susa. Either will be a better experience for your daughter.
      I’ve heard that elsewhere, so thankful that’s not on her list. Her concern is the change in team dynamic, she wants a supportive group that pushes each other, not looking for a situation where team mates are so wrapped up in individual progress that it takes away from unity of the team.

Comment

I’ve heard that elsewhere, so thankful that’s not on her list. Her concern is the change in team dynamic, she wants a supportive group that pushes each other, not looking for a situation where team mates are so wrapped up in individual progress that it takes away from unity of the team.
        It think it's hard to generalize since it's driven more by coaching/leadership and personality mix rather than league. The level of intensity and commitment on " most" ECNL teams is strong, but not always. I've seen some teams that are incredibly cohesive, others that are filled with selfish players. If she is in NE NPL, the league that mirrors ECNL, then you're familiar with the other clubs. Please factor in much more travel and cost - flights vs car rides to showcases. Another thing to consider is she will be new to a team that probably has been together for awhile. That isn't always easy to do with girls (they can be cliquey) plus coming in from a lower league she will have to prove herself.

Comment

I think it's going to depend on the team itself. My kid has a bunch of friends that started playing at East Meadow this past year. Kids in one age group said its exactly what your daughter does NOT want-everybody out for themselves, lots of talking about each other behind their backs, ostracism, etc.

The kids my kid knows in another age group at East Meadow, absolutely love it!!! Having a great experience, all the kids are friends on and off the field even though they're from all different parts of LI.

Comment

I think it's going to depend on the team itself. My kid has a bunch of friends that started playing at East Meadow this past year. Kids in one age group said its exactly what your daughter does NOT want-everybody out for themselves, lots of talking about each other behind their backs, ostracism, etc.

The kids my kid knows in another age group at East Meadow, absolutely love it!!! Having a great experience, all the kids are friends on and off the field even though they're from all different parts of LI.
            Agree with this. It is not a league dynamic but rather depends on the people on the team. Imo, some dedicated and talented coaches attend to this team dynamic and engage in team building exercises. Seems fairly rare in my experience but valuable if you can find it.

Comment

We've been to 2 and know many from the third. Game results should be low priority. Training and college contacts IMO should be higher. Those two factors, Alby far and away the best. EM a distant second and SUSA should not even be in the discussion.

Comment

We've been to 2 and know many from the third. Game results should be low priority. Training and college contacts IMO should be higher. Those two factors, Alby far and away the best. EM a distant second and SUSA should not even be in the discussion.
                Generalities are of very limited use. Review the options at your age group with your player in mind. There are players thriving and struggling at all three.

Comment

Alby ECNL is no longer what it once was. If you want PR, you go to Fury GDA at this point. He has basically treats Alby ECNL as an afterthought.

Comment

What age group?

Comment

What age group?
                      Seems like so much is changing - First DA, but I believe they are combining 02 & 03, not sure if that’s all clubs, then ECNL clubs leaving, new ones coming in, US Youth/ EDP changes - it’s hard to know the right move. Also does any of this have the potential to affect what happens to NPL?

Comment

Seems like so much is changing - First DA, but I believe they are combining 02 & 03, not sure if that’s all clubs, then ECNL clubs leaving, new ones coming in, US Youth/ EDP changes - it’s hard to know the right move. Also does any of this have the potential to affect what happens to NPL?
                        I would go with Fury DA, as that is probably the best training on crap island, thanks!
                        -NYCFC troll

Comment

ECNL AND NPL tryouts at the same time

Excellent thread. We are in a similar position. My daughter is a little older though. She’s going to be a freshman in high school next year and is ready to jump to ECNL or NPL.
                          We are considering Albertson and EM. Other threads indicate EM doesn’t really have an NPL team, it’s Smithtown, too far to travel for games and practices.

Albertson has tryouts for ECNL AND NPL at the same location and times. IS IT ONE TRYOUT?
                          I am trying to determine if you tryout for one of those teams, will you be considered for the other. That is if you try out for Albertson ECNL and don’t make it, will they offer you a position at NPL. Alternatively, if you tryout for NPL and do well, will they offer you an ECNL Slot. Does anybody have advice.

Thank you.

Comment

Excellent thread. We are in a similar position. My daughter is a little older though. She’s going to be a freshman in high school next year and is ready to jump to ECNL or NPL.
                            We are considering Albertson and EM. Other threads indicate EM doesn’t really have an NPL team, it’s Smithtown, too far to travel for games and practices.

Albertson has tryouts for ECNL AND NPL at the same location and times. IS IT ONE TRYOUT?
                            I am trying to determine if you tryout for one of those teams, will you be considered for the other. That is if you try out for Albertson ECNL and don’t make it, will they offer you a position at NPL. Alternatively, if you tryout for NPL and do well, will they offer you an ECNL Slot. Does anybody have advice.

Thank you.
                            Reach out to the clubs to ask. information gathered on anonymous soccer forums may be useful or may be junk. Can be hard to tell.

Comment

Play HS then. team uity is not the goal at most Clubs. Nice to have, sure, but you need to wake up. the end game for most is College. Kids all have different levels of drive , talent and commitment. To think you are going to synch that up in a Club environment that is pay to play is fanciful.

Focus on your child and not the rest of the team. You cannot control who is added or subtracted from a roster, who gets heavy minutes and who does not.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X