Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Question for you though. What about those few kids who are REALLY serious about the sport? I'm talking the ones who live to play and have goals of college or beyond (whether those dreams will ever materialize or not). Do those middle ground clubs work or do they need the big guys to have a chance?
    With the options available to them right now in this area, yes clubs like GPS and Seacoast are required. Until one of 3 things happen:

1) MLS/NERevs get serious about youth development. I could imagine a scenario where Revolution have multiple fee-free satellite locations.

2) Continued growth of semi-professional/other professional clubs (where eventually they will see associated youth teams as an investment or community payback instead of a revenue generator)

3) Support from USYS and USCS for more fee-free 'regional' or 'select' teams.

When I first heard of ODP in NH I was thrilled to find out there was a pathway for those players on USYS teams who had the ability to step up for training and games at a higher level. I was appalled to find out that NH ODP is also 'pay-to-play' and is operated out of a single location. Well 2 if you count moving from Milford in the winter to Pembroke in spring.

Here is how I would run ODP if I had a say -

1) Have ODP coaches as volunteer (expenses only)

2) Ask these coaches to scout NH USYS teams through fall and engage with USYS club teams to create a list of strongest players

3)Host an early, free, Spring tournament at Pembroke with multiple 'Select' teams by splitting the state into regions and inviting players to try outs

4)Announce a state squad

5) Have the state squad practice together 3-5 times, play a scrimmage or two, then go to the Region 1 ODP tournament

Comment

So how do you know the new club won't have that also! Grass isn't always greener! There are many clubs playing in NHSL, so this doesn't seem to be any different than Amherst, BAC, or Nashua WC. Am I missing something?
      Knowing the coaches listed on the PeakFC website for over a decade, you wont find a better quality set of coaches anywhere. They are pretty modest n their resumes - these are established and highly respected coaches both at the club, high school, and collegiate levels.

Comment

Knowing the coaches listed on the PeakFC website for over a decade, you wont find a better quality set of coaches anywhere. They are pretty modest n their resumes - these are established and highly respected coaches both at the club, high school, and collegiate levels.
        I know them as well, and you are giving them a tad much credit. Good, but temper it a little bit there.

Comment

I know a couple of them and so far I like what I've heard about this club and what they are trying to achieve.

Comment

With the options available to them right now in this area, yes clubs like GPS and Seacoast are required. Until one of 3 things happen:

1) MLS/NERevs get serious about youth development. I could imagine a scenario where Revolution have multiple fee-free satellite locations.

2) Continued growth of semi-professional/other professional clubs (where eventually they will see associated youth teams as an investment or community payback instead of a revenue generator)

3) Support from USYS and USCS for more fee-free 'regional' or 'select' teams.

When I first heard of ODP in NH I was thrilled to find out there was a pathway for those players on USYS teams who had the ability to step up for training and games at a higher level. I was appalled to find out that NH ODP is also 'pay-to-play' and is operated out of a single location. Well 2 if you count moving from Milford in the winter to Pembroke in spring.

Here is how I would run ODP if I had a say -

1) Have ODP coaches as volunteer (expenses only)

2) Ask these coaches to scout NH USYS teams through fall and engage with USYS club teams to create a list of strongest players

3)Host an early, free, Spring tournament at Pembroke with multiple 'Select' teams by splitting the state into regions and inviting players to try outs

4)Announce a state squad

5) Have the state squad practice together 3-5 times, play a scrimmage or two, then go to the Region 1 ODP tournament
            I would almost rather have the Revs give up their youth programs at the youngest ages (U13-U15) and put that money toward developing a 2nd team playing in the USL, so that those graduating out of the Revs youth academy system have somewhere to continue their development. Right now, players either try for a homegrown contract (which worked out for Fagundez, but I'd imagine most players would end up sitting for years, like Herivaux), or going to play in college (which for the majority of players, ends their soccer careers).

The Revs are sinking a lot of money into their youth program, albeit much less than all the other MLS organizations, but the coaching staff and training environment are not much better than non-MLS DA teams or even the highest level club teams. The Revs are mostly staying afloat because they are free and can thus attract high level players, rather than due to the quality of the program. Three homegrown players is all they have to show, so they might want to leave the youth development to people who know what they're doing. I can't imagine how poor the training and coaching would be at satellite locations. If free, it would at least get disadvantaged kids into the system. Ultimately though, if good enough, these kids would have to travel down to Foxboro to train with the DA teams three times a week, which would be a real hardship for those families. If Seacoast could build their PDL into a USL, we'd be in business, with a nice pathway from U-little to pro and a good jumping off point for higher level pro. Much better than what the Revs are currently offering.

As for your ODP plan, I like most of it, especially at no cost. However, practicing 3-5 times with other strong players and good coaching, then playing in a tournament, would just not be enough. Yes, it would provide a little enrichment to a good player, but will certainly not make much a difference in their outcome long term. You need a DA type of environment (or better) if the kid has any chance of becoming a quality player. This, of course, can't be sustained for free, especially if you want quality coaches involved, and that's why are current system is what it is, pay-to-play with a few of the highest need players receiving scholarships.

Comment

As for your ODP plan, I like most of it, especially at no cost. However, practicing 3-5 times with other strong players and good coaching, then playing in a tournament, would just not be enough. Yes, it would provide a little enrichment to a good player, but will certainly not make much a difference in their outcome long term. You need a DA type of environment (or better) if the kid has any chance of becoming a quality player. This, of course, can't be sustained for free, especially if you want quality coaches involved, and that's why are current system is what it is, pay-to-play with a few of the highest need players receiving scholarships.
              I agree on both points. For ODP I guess it's a matter of philosophy - should it be run like a club, or should it be run like an all-star select team?

I think it should be a state version of YNT camps/games - bring the best players together, get them familiar with each other, then let loose in a few competitive games. This would be the opportunity for a player who care not in the cathcment area or can't afford a DA environment.

Separately, I think the focus of the state association should be to help grow the sport overall and support clubs who are looking to create higher level playing opportunities.

Comment

Didn’t these coaches get let go by seacoast?

Comment

The three coaches are still with Seacoast through the end of the season. I have daughters on each team. Haven't decided which way we're going. Stay with coaches or Seacoast.

Comment

ECNL level in NH will never be successful. There aren’t enough truly elite players to field a team.
                    Of course, you realize the Stars ECNL and NPL teams (which is on par with the ECNL team) have several NH girls on their teams. Add in a few from Seacoast, and a few more from NEFC or GPS possibly and, yes, you would have an excellent team. So, there is talent but it's diluted.

Comment

Of course, you realize the Stars ECNL and NPL teams (which is on par with the ECNL team) have several NH girls on their teams. Add in a few from Seacoast, and a few more from NEFC or GPS possibly and, yes, you would have an excellent team. So, there is talent but it's diluted.
                      An excellent team playing NHSL...why!

Comment

What age group? Varies from year to year but no more than 2-3 girls from NH play on an ECNL/DA team from each birth year.
                        You can’t compare Stars ECNL with GPS or Seacoast NPL talent. It’s not even close.

Comment

What age group? Varies from year to year but no more than 2-3 girls from NH play on an ECNL/DA team from each birth year.
                          You can’t compare Stars ECNL with GPS or Seacoast NPL talent. It’s not even close.
                          The girls 05 group for Stars, both ECNL and NPL (they dropped their DA before this age entered into it) are littered with NH girls. Enough to make up a full team. And, yes, you can compare some of them. Some chose to make the travel down to Lancaster, some chose to stay more local. I have direct knowledge of that.

Comment

The girls 05 group for Stars, both ECNL and NPL (they dropped their DA before this age entered into it) are littered with NH girls. Enough to make up a full team. And, yes, you can compare some of them. Some chose to make the travel down to Lancaster, some chose to stay more local. I have direct knowledge of that.
                            Why would ECNL/NPL players want to play with a startup in NHSL...Never happen!

Comment

Why would ECNL/NPL players want to play with a startup in NHSL...Never happen!
                              They wouldn't. This appears to have drifted from the original topic. It was mentioned that an ECNL team would never be successful in NH, and it's my opinion that's not the case. There is the talent, but it's thin.

Where programs like Peak and some others fit, IMO, is to continue to develop in concentrated areas. But, not be prideful enough so that if a player outgrows the competition, encourage them to move into leagues where that exists.

Comment

Coaches leaving Seacoast or asked to leave question.

I wonder why people care if a coach leaves a club on their own or if they are asked to leave. I think the more important question is: Should young developing players follow a coach for their entire youth soccer career? Can they work with other coaches or is this an issue? If it is, and you have more than one player that falls into this scenario you need to look at the larger picture.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X