Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The point is that if you are all in, you need to be all in. Screwing around in other sports means you are not all in.
    Bingo. The Socal GDA & Ecnl girls & the NorCal GDA & Ecnl girls will all be training (the required by US Soccer) MINIMUM 4x/week, not doing high school soccer or other sports. Get on board Thorns GDA or have our Oregon girls left even further behind. GDA is supposed to be for the serious elite soccer players only. Please don't ruin the chances of Oregon girls ever being able to compete at all vs their sisters to the south. Please don't turn Thorns Oregon GDA into some weakened same old club kind of gig. GDA doesn't have to be a Yugo in Oregon. Girls might threaten but they will give up other soccer & sports for a legitimate GDA program.

Comment

Yes, all sports activities outside the GDA are not allowed.
      You're wrong but it is noted that when it comes to track and field it is allowed but events that involve running, jumping, vaulting, or throwing are disallowed.

Comment

Bingo. The Socal GDA & Ecnl girls & the NorCal GDA & Ecnl girls will all be training (the required by US Soccer) MINIMUM 4x/week, not doing high school soccer or other sports. Get on board Thorns GDA or have our Oregon girls left even further behind. GDA is supposed to be for the serious elite soccer players only. Please don't ruin the chances of Oregon girls ever being able to compete at all vs their sisters to the south. Please don't turn Thorns Oregon GDA into some weakened same old club kind of gig. GDA doesn't have to be a Yugo in Oregon. Girls might threaten but they will give up other soccer & sports for a legitimate GDA program.
        Spot on. Time to get going.

Comment

The GDA will create a new generation of soccer robots. Very few of the participants will even get a sniff of being included in any sort of an NT pool. The vast majority will just play collegiately and only about half of those will play all four years. That's right, the attrition rate of collegiate soccer players is somewhere around 50%. Kids might as well play other sports if they choose to, play high school soccer if they want to or, in general, just be more well-rounded and normal kids instead of just another doltish soccer robot.

Comment

On paper you can do any sport you want as long as it isn't soccer. In reality

- your club will pressure you not to do anything else. They want all your focus, mental and physical, on soccer. They also don't want you to get injured

- realistically there is little time for HS sports. Imagine doing a long track meet+bus ride, then going to an intense 2 hour practice? There will always be conflicts and in DA you aren't allowed to miss anything basically unless you broke your leg and you're getting it set. So unless your HS coach is really understanding and lets you skip stuff (answer:it won't happen) you really have to chose. A few boys have pulled it off but the are the rare exception and I don't know how they did it.

Comment

The point is that if you are all in, you need to be all in. Screwing around in other sports means you are not all in.
              USSF doesn't care about multisport athletes. They want a 100% soccer commitment. Does that mean great players won't do DA? Definitely. But they don't care about 99% of the players anyway. If any NT players are multisport kids USSF will quickly squash that

Comment

Many soccer players are represented in the student-athletes competing in the Oregon HS track championships this weekend. Congrats to all competing for balancing a busy life of school, dual sports, and family.

To the GDA girls competing this weekend, enjoy your final weekend of HS sports. I'm sure it will be bittersweet. No sarcasm here - I hope you are making the right decision. I'm sure that weighs heavily on you and you are sacrificing a lot. I hope it's worth it.
                Jesh what a Debbie Downer. Some girls might actually be happy about their choices, but thanks for planting those seeds of doubt.

Comment

Many soccer players are represented in the student-athletes competing in the Oregon HS track championships this weekend. Congrats to all competing for balancing a busy life of school, dual sports, and family.

To the GDA girls competing this weekend, enjoy your final weekend of HS sports. I'm sure it will be bittersweet. No sarcasm here - I hope you are making the right decision. I'm sure that weighs heavily on you and you are sacrificing a lot. I hope it's worth it.
                  I got news for you. Life isn't all about touchy feely feelings. You do what you have to do and move on.

Comment

Jesh what a Debbie Downer. Some girls might actually be happy about their choices, but thanks for planting those seeds of doubt.
                    The only person worried and unhappy is the person who spends so much time trashing the GDA. Likely a DOC for a particular club's ECNL program. I can think of one club whose had a few players and coaches leave to be elsewhere.

Comment

gda team in Oregon is not a Yugo. That is dumb.

Allowing kids to do other sports and only practice a couple days a week will give life balance and that is important. Why is it any of your business?

Comment

The girls knew going in that they were making a choice to give up some things to be a better soccer player. Why is that so bittersweet? Nobody forced them.

Comment

The girls knew going in that they were making a choice to give up some things to be a better soccer player. Why is that so bittersweet? Nobody forced them.
                          Agree and m kids are not in the GDA. It's their business, not ours.

Comment

Agree and good for them. The girls in CA are going full bore with a minimum of 4 practices per week with no other soccer or other sports/distractions. We have local girls also willing to go all in for soccer and that's a good thing. Our girls are already so far behind the girls from CA and other states. We should get behind the local girls that are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to become an elite soccer player.

Comment

Agree and good for them. The girls in CA are going full bore with a minimum of 4 practices per week with no other soccer or other sports/distractions. We have local girls also willing to go all in for soccer and that's a good thing. Our girls are already so far behind the girls from CA and other states. We should get behind the local girls that are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to become an elite soccer player.
                              It's easier if we lean on the name of a league 'Elite' to take care of it for us. How's that going for you?

Comment

You are wrong and have taken things out of context. "Outside competition" is referencing non DA soccer. You have a minimum number of training session per week. As long as you meet the training requirements, you can do whatever you want as longs as it does not include another soccer team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X