Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overzealous Parents

Which team has the worst, and what do you do about it?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Which team has the worst, and what do you do about it?
    "Hmm, what can I post that will stir up conflict..."

Comment

To me parent insanity seems to decrease as the level of play gets higher and players get older. Run into way more issues with my U10 team than my U13+ Premier teams. I’ve talked to my own parents and usually don’t run into any issues. Biggest thing younger parents don’t seem to understand is why I don’t “tell” the players what to do on the field. Some of them also just don’t t understand basic soccer concepts and will say things like “wrong way” when a player passes back. Usually once you tell them what you are trying to accomplish and that, if it continues, they won’t be allowed to attend anymore they fix themselves or find a new team.

Comment

To me parent insanity seems to decrease as the level of play gets higher and players get older. Run into way more issues with my U10 team than my U13+ Premier teams. I’ve talked to my own parents and usually don’t run into any issues. Biggest thing younger parents don’t seem to understand is why I don’t “tell” the players what to do on the field. Some of them also just don’t t understand basic soccer concepts and will say things like “wrong way” when a player passes back. Usually once you tell them what you are trying to accomplish and that, if it continues, they won’t be allowed to attend anymore they fix themselves or find a new team.
        This goes for young refs too. They younger the team, the more insane the parents are. This is the reason why young refs never make it past their first year or two. The ones that do, this is the perfect part time job during their college years.

Comment

"Hmm, what can I post that will stir up conflict..."
          yup, entertaining... you must be one of those insufferable parents

Comment

honestly, it seems to be getting worse. Parents living their lives through kids soccer. Look at how many U11 kids have instagram accounts. ridiculous.

Comment

egocentric, narcissistic parents raising even more egocentric narcissistic children.

what could be wrong with that?

Comment

I agree its less as you get older plus IMO its more yelling in girls games.

My husband gets more upset by rough play during our younger girls games vs older son's. Partly he feels the refs don't seem to be as strict in the girls games and things can get rough.
                There are games where 1/3 of our girls come home black and blue in the ribs (usually inflicted intentionally). After 5 yrs of girls soccer I have never seen a yellow despite it being merited.

Comment

I’m a referee and a parent of players. Younger ages and select/rec parents are the worst. Older and more competitive play clubs seem to have them inline more. Things are still an issue. There are over 300 less referees this year then last year for whatever reason.

Comment

none

My husband gets more upset by rough play during our younger girls games vs older son's. Partly he feels the refs don't seem to be as strict in the girls games and things can get rough.
                    There are games where 1/3 of our girls come home black and blue in the ribs (usually inflicted intentionally). After 5 yrs of girls soccer I have never seen a yellow despite it being merited.
                    I completely agree with this observation based on what I have seen over many years of watching competitive girls soccer. Refs are really reluctant to give yellow cards in girls soccer, and it is just part of the game and a way to keep things from getting out of hand. I've been very curious to understand why the reluctance. College women's soccer might be worse - can get away with murder and not get a yellow. Wonder if any refs have any thoughts on this?

Comment

I completely agree with this observation based on what I have seen over many years of watching competitive girls soccer. Refs are really reluctant to give yellow cards in girls soccer, and it is just part of the game and a way to keep things from getting out of hand. I've been very curious to understand why the reluctance. College women's soccer might be worse - can get away with murder and not get a yellow. Wonder if any refs have any thoughts on this?
                      Are your guys certain that the refs are more hesitant on giving yellow cards during girls games or do you think it can be anecdotal, like you are thinking about one or two really weird games. If anything I would have assumed refs would be more willing to give cards during a girls game.

Is it possible that girls games tend to have more female refs? Or newer refs? Or some other category.

Comment

The ISC Gunners G07 team parents are the absolute worst.

Comment

Their parents aren’t the worst just because their team wins every time against you.

Comment

There are over 300 less referees this year then last year for whatever reason.

Huh, I wonder why.

Obnoxious parents possibly?

I could never be a referee. I would get arrested for assault.

Comment

finally a brave soul willing to call another team out!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X