Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injuries in Girls Soccer Due to playing on turf

Not sure if any studies have been done on this but it seems like playing on artificial turf is extremely harmful when it comes to increasing the chances of major injuries. Our daughter’s team has 3 girls out with torn acls and 2 more with overuse injuries. They only play or practice on turf, which I think may be the root cause of the injuries but not sure.

Our trainer who is from Europe has told me that they only play on grass over there as the game is not meant to be played on artificial turf. He says even colleges here play a lot more on grass.

Why are we doing this to our kids, letting them play nonstop on turf driving up injuries, am I missing something?

Turf is cheaper and easier to maintain so its here to stay. Generally it is much better now than it was 20 years ago, new fields can be very good. I will say that they make turf ahoes for a reason and many kids get hurt from wearing cleats on turf. The cleats lock in and theres “too much” traction and feet get stuck. Turf shoes provide grip but theres usually enough give so that the foot doesnt get locked in the ground and twisted.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Turf is cheaper and easier to maintain so its here to stay. Generally it is much better now than it was 20 years ago, new fields can be very good. I will say that they make turf ahoes for a reason and many kids get hurt from wearing cleats on turf. The cleats lock in and theres “too much” traction and feet get stuck. Turf shoes provide grip but theres usually enough give so that the foot doesnt get locked in the ground and twisted.
      So many injuries happen because of turf yet nothing is done to change that or at least educate the girls how to avoid these injuries. Remember the USWNT in the World Cup in Canada and how dissatisfied they were to have to possibly play on turf??? Seems very hypocritical to make kids play on it 100% of the time but not the pros....

Comment

That is absolutely true. I cringe every time I see girls playing with cleats on turf with all the quick turns. In addition, try playing on turf when the temperatures are excessively warm. The bottoms of their feet just burn up. It is absolutely horrible that they play on turf. Yes, it has gotten better with the removal of those “ground up” rubber tires in the turf but its still very dangerous with accidents waiting to happen. Clubs should enforce players to train and play in turf shoes. They even have modified turf/cleat shoes that are in between. Anything is better than cleats. Cleats are made to be worn on grass.

Comment

That is absolutely true. I cringe every time I see girls playing with cleats on turf with all the quick turns. In addition, try playing on turf when the temperatures are excessively warm. The bottoms of their feet just burn up. It is absolutely horrible that they play on turf. Yes, it has gotten better with the removal of those “ground up” rubber tires in the turf but its still very dangerous with accidents waiting to happen. Clubs should enforce players to train and play in turf shoes. They even have modified turf/cleat shoes that are in between. Anything is better than cleats. Cleats are made to be worn on grass.
          If your kid (like mine), really prefers cleats, look for AG models (artificial ground). These have round studs. Bladed studs are the worst possible option. Unfortunately, the majority of cleats out there have blades studs.

Comment

No player whether male or female, pro or amateur should wear cleats on turf. Do the research. It should honestly be banned.

Sports were not created to be played on turf. Yes, cheaper but you have limit use (hours per week) and eventually replace the carpet every few years. Towns and schools just have sports on it nonstop which is wearing it down.

Comment

If your kid (like mine), really prefers cleats, look for AG models (artificial ground). These have round studs. Bladed studs are the worst possible option. Unfortunately, the majority of cleats out there have blades studs.
              Nike was making some good MG patterns with conical studs for mid level mercutials and Mizuno (very expensive) also use conical studs and are worth looking at if your D really prefers a cleat.

Comment

Turf is also a necessity in wintery areas - snow/frequent rain makes it impossible to practice on grass without destroying it. If your kid is playing more than occasionally on turf then invest in turf specific shoes. All players should do training exercises that can help reduce those types of injuries (find a quality athletic trainer to show them things to do on their own). Girls are already more at risk for these types of injuries so do what you can to lessen the risks.

Comment

Agreed. A session a week of SAQ that includes injury prevention is worth more than signing up for too much extra soccer. Especially as you get past 7th gradr and pubtery.

Comment

Agreed. A session a week of SAQ that includes injury prevention is worth more than signing up for too much extra soccer. Especially as you get past 7th gradr and pubtery.
                    Overuse becomes a bigger problem once girls go through puberty too. Don't over do it, learn how to train properly, get good shoes.

Comment

Turf is also a necessity in wintery areas - snow/frequent rain makes it impossible to practice on grass without destroying it. If your kid is playing more than occasionally on turf then invest in turf specific shoes. All players should do training exercises that can help reduce those types of injuries (find a quality athletic trainer to show them things to do on their own). Girls are already more at risk for these types of injuries so do what you can to lessen the risks.
                      Turf shoes are a must and are the best preventative against turf knee injuries that are prevalent for girls post puberty. As far as over use injuries that also come with puberty is hip tears that can end their soccer careers. The best injury prevention is cross training as well as play other sports that require you to use other muscles other than the ones you use just for soccer. Any type of over use will cause these injuries. Unfortunately clubs do not have the resources or time to devote to nutrition and injury prevention. My daughter who is going to be playing college soccer next year had to figure these things out on her own and now has a personal trainer to teach her those things. I have talked with parents and this happens at every club.club

Comment

Turf shoes are a must and are the best preventative against turf knee injuries that are prevalent for girls post puberty. As far as over use injuries that also come with puberty is hip tears that can end their soccer careers. The best injury prevention is cross training as well as play other sports that require you to use other muscles other than the ones you use just for soccer. Any type of over use will cause these injuries. Unfortunately clubs do not have the resources or time to devote to nutrition and injury prevention. My daughter who is going to be playing college soccer next year had to figure these things out on her own and now has a personal trainer to teach her those things. I have talked with parents and this happens at every club.club
                        Best money you can spend is multiple sessions with a quality trainer in late middle school. Teach them how to do it right as they enter HS, and do tune-ups from time to time. Your kid is better off doing proper workouts vs playing more soccer beyond what they already are. Also give them permission to listen to their bodies. Kids are often pushed too hard but there's times when they need to scale back.

Comment

No player whether male or female, pro or amateur should wear cleats on turf. Do the research. It should honestly be banned.

Sports were not created to be played on turf. Yes, cheaper but you have limit use (hours per week) and eventually replace the carpet every few years. Towns and schools just have sports on it nonstop which is wearing it down.
                          Agreed it’s terrible that some clubs (at least ours) trains 4x week on turf and then some weekends 2 games or even 3-4 if a tourney. They have no care in the world about the damage this is doing to the girls. Unfortunately they will feel the impact as they go through puberty with injuries as another poster correctly pointed out. Use should be limited and turf should be replaced every 2 years for it to be playable without increased injury risk. Clubs in Europe, National teams etc. would never ever ever play or train on turf regularly. They know better to protect their players.

Comment

I’ve never seen a coach care much about safety of their players. Neither turf shoes nor head protective gear are encouraged.

I wondered often if injuries on the team mean a bigger roster and a bigger income for the coach. A perverse incentive not to encourage safety.

Comment

I’ve never seen a coach care much about safety of their players. Neither turf shoes nor head protective gear are encouraged.

I wondered often if injuries on the team mean a bigger roster and a bigger income for the coach. A perverse incentive not to encourage safety.
                              Unfortunately this wouldnt shock me at all, which is really messed up.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X