X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The starters ARE the level. We can debate whether it should be higher
    Not necessarily. Even among starters some teams have real depth while others have 3-5 top starters and then a sharp drop off. The drop off between starters and nonstarters matters too. If the level of play falls dramatically with subs then coaches will be less likely to sub in tougher games (because wins still matter). The addition of GDA has largely lessened roster depth at both GDA and ECNL.

Comment

how about gda. play 5 minutes or not at all for games. and no development.
      I don't think you've met anyone that played/practiced in GDA. I have kids that did both. Just about the same rule applies "playtime is not guaranteed".

GDA's rule is 25% minimum start. It even applies to goalies.

Comment

I don't think you've met anyone that played/practiced in GDA. I have kids that did both. Just about the same rule applies "playtime is not guaranteed".

Have some integrity and dont put a kid on the team and take their money if they are not good enough to play on the team.

Comment

Starts isn't playing time. Coaches save the starts for weak players for the easier games and can still yank them after just a few minutes. Some clubs don't even follow the rules. Of course ECNL starts aren't guaranteed but don't make GDA sound like it's Nirvana. Sub rules in ECNL make it easier to give players some PT.

Comment

Have some integrity and dont put a kid on the team and take their money if they are not good enough to play on the team.
            Yes the team should be transparent and not bring a player not up to snuff or potential on the GDA team as just a body to fill the roster. Keep them at the lower level team within the club where they will play. But clubs don’t do what is best for their player.

You need to play to develop.

Comment

Starts isn't playing time. Coaches save the starts for weak players for the easier games and can still yank them after just a few minutes. Some clubs don't even follow the rules. Of course ECNL starts aren't guaranteed but don't make GDA sound like it's Nirvana. Sub rules in ECNL make it easier to give players some PT.
              Yes. Agreed.

Comment

In fairness to coaches it isn't always easy to assess how players will work out once on a team. That gets sussed out over time and tryouts or even a few practice sessions aren't always the best way to evaluate. In addition clubs can't carry rosters of 14. A few injuries or school visits and you might not even have enough players. That doesn't mean I think coaches and clubs cant be doing better or shouldn't have big rosters. But the the system will forever be imperfect. You have to accept that if you're going to participate in it. You have to go in k owing PT is earned. If you have ANY concerns your player may not get much time then you probably should be looking elsewhere. I wouldn't put my kids on any team where I didn't think they'd start or be anything lower than player 14. Training only does so much and not getting PT can really kill a kid's love of the game. Fit matters.

Comment

“We do believe in our standards,” Hickey says. “We don’t believe re-entry for U-14 and older enhances player development. Soccer is a game where players are expected to make mistakes, both technical execution and decision-making. For players, knowing they’ll be on the field for an extended period of time gives them the opportunity to be creative, self-correct mistakes and learn from them. Many times players are subbed after they mess up so the coach can discuss these mistakes with the player, and that results in players being scared to make mistakes.”

I don't like a lot of things about DA, but I do like the subbing rules and I think this quote sums it up best.

Comment

Not necessarily. Even among starters some teams have real depth while others have 3-5 top starters and then a sharp drop off. The drop off between starters and nonstarters matters too. If the level of play falls dramatically with subs then coaches will be less likely to sub in tougher games (because wins still matter). The addition of GDA has largely lessened roster depth at both GDA and ECNL.
                    no matter the drop off, or whatever, the statement is true. the starters, the kids that play 70 pct of the minutes DEFINE the level. you can debate all you want about whehter the level is high enough. Thats a different debate.

Comment

So fill the spots, play the game and dont whine about the level of play. How was the level of play last year with last year's crop of players in any of these leagues at any of the age groups? Don't remember or care? Well neither does anybody else because that is not the point. These are businesses in the business of providing soccer lessons to children. The level of play is not important to running the business successfully. If it were, how would so many low level teams and clubs go on and on and on and on.
                      ^^ This.

Comment

“We do believe in our standards,” Hickey says. “We don’t believe re-entry for U-14 and older enhances player development. Soccer is a game where players are expected to make mistakes, both technical execution and decision-making. For players, knowing they’ll be on the field for an extended period of time gives them the opportunity to be creative, self-correct mistakes and learn from them. Many times players are subbed after they mess up so the coach can discuss these mistakes with the player, and that results in players being scared to make mistakes.”

I don't like a lot of things about DA, but I do like the subbing rules and I think this quote sums it up best.
                        The problem is is that the top 3 or 4 players are allowed to make mistakes (Over and over and over again), for the rest of the team (especially for players 8 on down), the subbing rule is an excuse to get them off of the field and not return them. Sorry, that is how it is for everyone else outside of the top 3 or 4.

Comment

all these sub rule debates revolve around giving marginal players more time. the real issue is why are marginal players playing in so called elite leagues to begin with ? Largely because parents dont know any better

Comment

In fairness to coaches it isn't always easy to assess how players will work out once on a team. That gets sussed out over time and tryouts or even a few practice sessions aren't always the best way to evaluate. In addition clubs can't carry rosters of 14. A few injuries or school visits and you might not even have enough players. That doesn't mean I think coaches and clubs cant be doing better or shouldn't have big rosters. But the the system will forever be imperfect. You have to accept that if you're going to participate in it. You have to go in k owing PT is earned. If you have ANY concerns your player may not get much time then you probably should be looking elsewhere. I wouldn't put my kids on any team where I didn't think they'd start or be anything lower than player 14. Training only does so much and not getting PT can really kill a kid's love of the game. Fit matters.
                            In fairness to the coaches? spare me. If the players on the team know the pecking order, and they do for the most part, what is the coaches excuse?

Lol. Put a competent mature player in charge then if you cant evaluate a player properly.

Comment

The problem is is that the top 3 or 4 players are allowed to make mistakes (Over and over and over again), for the rest of the team (especially for players 8 on down), the subbing rule is an excuse to get them off of the field and not return them. Sorry, that is how it is for everyone else outside of the top 3 or 4.
                              why is that a problem? the real problem is that on most teams 8 on down should not be out there period. They should be playing at a level that suits them bette. Where PT is not an issue

Comment

all these sub rule debates revolve around giving marginal players more time. the real issue is why are marginal players playing in so called elite leagues to begin with ? Largely because parents dont know any better
                                Or largely because soccer is, first and foremost, a business ... and this includes DA. It is largely because clubs need checks, not because of parents. Any club with integrity bent on developing all of its players would set a minimum standard for level of play for any player and not start by saying we need 22 on the roster to make this work. Similarly, USSF should have reinforced this at the club and coach levels when it started GDA by not allowing in 80 clubs most of whom were never ever considered elite.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X