Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boys U13/U14 - 2019-2020 Leagues

Now that the Boys DA is dead in Oregon, where are your local clubs moving their top tier teams in these age groups?? There is discussion of ECNL or a combined upper division within OYSA.

We are not getting answers from our DoC because they simply don't know what they are doing this coming year. Regardless, we are expected to commit our players to another year at the club in the next few weeks, but we don't know where they will be playing or with whom.

It would be great if anyone who has a hard answer from their club could let us know the plan so that we can begin to work out the lay of the land for the coming year and get a real sense of what the field will look like.

It would be great to disseminate some real information via this forum. If some of you insist on yet another talking-soccer.com snark-fest that will be a shame.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Now that the Boys DA is dead in Oregon, where are your local clubs moving their top tier teams in these age groups?? There is discussion of ECNL or a combined upper division within OYSA.

We are not getting answers from our DoC because they simply don't know what they are doing this coming year. Regardless, we are expected to commit our players to another year at the club in the next few weeks, but we don't know where they will be playing or with whom.

It would be great if anyone who has a hard answer from their club could let us know the plan so that we can begin to work out the lay of the land for the coming year and get a real sense of what the field will look like.

It would be great to disseminate some real information via this forum. If some of you insist on yet another talking-soccer.com snark-fest that will be a shame.
    Reasonably confident speculation -
    Capital, FC, OPFC, UPDX, and Westside will return to OYSA. Some modified rules/standards for premier divisions, somewhat similar to USDA or old RCL.
    Not foregone conclusion, but think that is the way this is leaning.

Washington Timbers goes boys ECNL at u14. I don't know what they do at u13.

I don't know what Timbers are going to do at this age. The rumors on here are the same ones I've heard out there.

Comment

Oysa

I heard OYSA premier division.

Comment

Capital, FC, OPFC, UPDX, and Westside will return to OYSA. Some modified rules/standards for premier divisions, somewhat similar to USDA or old RCL.

I don't know what Timbers are going to do at this age. The rumors on here are the same ones I've heard out there.
        I have also heard the same. Personally, I do think it is a perfect commentary on the status of Oregon Youth Soccer that the Timbers Academy U14 is going to have to play boys ecnl. It is my most sincere hope that when my grandkids are playing soccer in this area that there is a more well-defined method and path for youth.

Comment

It's actually really simple if you want it to be. If the TA invites your 'grandson' and your family can arrange to get him to training regularly then he should take it. It's the best program available in our area by a wide margin. Then he should prepare to work like hell at the trainings and on his own in the hopes of earning minutes and spots on future rosters as he ages into the older teams. He should know that his best might not be good enough at the highest levels regardless of the effort he puts in. That's it really.

Worrying about who they'll play is silly. Games will happen and over time will become as meaningless in the big picture as some random training on a Tuesday night.

Comment

It's actually really simple if you want it to be. If the TA invites your 'grandson' and your family can arrange to get him to training regularly then he should take it. It's the best program available in our area by a wide margin. Then he should prepare to work like hell at the trainings and on his own in the hopes of earning minutes and spots on future rosters as he ages into the older teams. He should know that his best might not be good enough at the highest levels regardless of the effort he puts in. That's it really.

Worrying about who they'll play is silly. Games will happen and over time will become as meaningless in the big picture as some random training on a Tuesday night.
            Well, it is not really that simple, and it really would not be up to me. Regardless of what I think or want, it will be up to this community AND the Timbers. No pathway has been established. It should be TA....but who they play very much matters as well. That an MLS academy is reliant upon Seattle clubs and whatever direction. they choose to go, does not exactly indicate stability. Nor for that matter does the TA necessarily have the best coaching. It depends on the age group, and the current regime. The one constant is that the Timbers have historically shown little interest in the academy, and that has been reflected by the lackluster results.

Comment

Well, it is not really that simple, and it really would not be up to me. Regardless of what I think or want, it will be up to this community AND the Timbers. No pathway has been established. It should be TA....but who they play very much matters as well. That an MLS academy is reliant upon Seattle clubs and whatever direction. they choose to go, does not exactly indicate stability. Nor for that matter does the TA necessarily have the best coaching. It depends on the age group, and the current regime. The one constant is that the Timbers have historically shown little interest in the academy, and that has been reflected by the lackluster results.
              The timbers academy is playing boys ecnl? That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard in a long time!

Comment

Our DOC told us that 07’s and older will play Boys ECNL. My DD plays for Washington Timbers. We will play the old Seattle DA teams.

Comment

The timbers academy is playing boys ecnl? That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard in a long time!
                  Timbers 'DA' has played USYS/OYSA, US Soccer DA when available regionally and nationally at the HS ages, if their little ones play will play in a US Club league to avoid the OYSA clubs it tells you the confidence or lack of it they have in pre HS aged teams they have formed for nothing more than giggles.

This narrative is consistent with everything related to a misplaced Academy in the Portland metro area.

Almost as misguided as having 2 neighborhood clubs and girls NWSL DA play in a nationwide travel league at the same time.

The girls are driven by title ix payouts which has created the illusion it's necessary. Which is more laughable by the undersourced Timbers DA efforts.

Comment

Timbers aren't some renegade (or even independent) organization. Are we really supposed to imagine they're going to be the first MLS academy to play outside of the da?

Comment

Timbers aren't some renegade (or even independent) organization. Are we really supposed to imagine they're going to be the first MLS academy to play outside of the da?

Below the HS ages Timbers youth teams are simply local club team level.
                      That type of team would never be offered a spot in a national da platform.

Name will always play where their talent takes them right now it's either USYS or US club no big deal called reality.

Comment

Below the HS ages Timbers youth teams are simply local club team level.
                        That type of team would never be offered a spot in a national da platform.

Name will always play where their talent takes them right now it's either USYS or US club no big deal called reality.
                        You keep wanting this to be true, but their 06s are a top 20 team nationally according to topdrawer.

It may be that the best solution going forward is more like the Sounders, but you should stop pretending that OR players don't deserve a good solution.

Comment

Timbers 'DA' has played USYS/OYSA, US Soccer DA when available regionally and nationally at the HS ages, if their little ones play will play in a US Club league to avoid the OYSA clubs it tells you the confidence or lack of it they have in pre HS aged teams they have formed for nothing more than giggles.

This narrative is consistent with everything related to a misplaced Academy in the Portland metro area.

Almost as misguided as having 2 neighborhood clubs and girls NWSL DA play in a nationwide travel league at the same time.

The girls are driven by title ix payouts which has created the illusion it's necessary. Which is more laughable by the undersourced Timbers DA efforts.
                          Other than the 05 team, any Timbers Academy team would crush any local club team on age. The 05s, of course, are a gross anomaly, bankrolled by a team father and with a somewhat-poorly chosen roster of players--resulting in a team that wouldn't have an easy time winning the Oregon DA league. The good news is that it appear the Timbers are getting serious about this age group, and rumor has it that there will be many cuts and new players announced, perhaps as soon as this week.

Compound that with an 05 thread here that is more active than any boys' thread before or since, and a casual reader of TS might be confused into thinking that the Timbers are simply running a glorified club team. For the most part, they're not. There's much they can do better--and a good argument can be made that they shouldn't start until U15, and instead work with clubs to identify and develop prospects before that.

Comment

Other than the 05 team, any Timbers Academy team would crush any local club team on age. The 05s, of course, are a gross anomaly, bankrolled by a team father and with a somewhat-poorly chosen roster of players--resulting in a team that wouldn't have an easy time winning the Oregon DA league. The good news is that it appear the Timbers are getting serious about this age group, and rumor has it that there will be many cuts and new players announced, perhaps as soon as this week.

Compound that with an 05 thread here that is more active than any boys' thread before or since, and a casual reader of TS might be confused into thinking that the Timbers are simply running a glorified club team. For the most part, they're not. There's much they can do better--and a good argument can be made that they shouldn't start until U15, and instead work with clubs to identify and develop prospects before that.
                            The Sounders system works because they have a much deeper talent pool mainly due to bigger population which allows meaningful training at more local clubs than what can be done in Portland. Training environment is everything. Seattle can support 3-4 stellar clubs that feed the Sounders at U15. Portland can really only support 1-2. The boys in Portland are significantly behind their Seattle counterparts at U15 because the local clubs can't offer the same competitive training environment. The TA needs to exist at the younger ages just to keep up with what the local clubs in Seattle are producing. The talent needs to be consolidated to create the training environment of the top clubs up there

Also, it's not the coaching that drives the Seattle clubs. It's that they have more kids who are all in on making soccer their focus.

Comment

Especially in the ecnl! That would be hilarious.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X