Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Anthony DiCicco mismanaged the organization and ran it into the ground. Twelve SoccerPlus coaches left SoccerPlus because they were not getting paid. SoccerPlus owes money to 20 coaches. In addition, they also owe money to 3 towns where the played outdoor games as well as an indoor facility in the Northeast. The new CEO, John Bergstrom, is a stand up guy and he's doing the best he can to sort out the mess that was created by Anthony DiCicco.

Lewis was hired by SoccerPlus to open the Northeast branch (SoccerPlus Stars) 3 years ago. He started with 7 girls and built the team to 16 players. His U11 Girls Team won the U11 CJSA Premier Division in Fall 2011 and Spring 2012. They played 2 friendlies against Oakwood last spring and 1 tournament game. They lost twice (1-0 and 9-2) and won once (4-2).

11 out of 16 of the U11 Girls (now U12) showed up for CFC Alliance try-outs. There were a couple of crazy parents who did not like the coach and they banded together and did not come to try-outs. In addition, the new SoccerPlus coach (who's daughter also plays for the team) did not come to try-outs. Only 3 players from SoccerPlus made the transition to CFC Alliance; the rest stayed at SoccerPlus because they wanted to play with their friends. In addition, SoccerPlus made promises to the parents that the SoccerPlus Stars would be an ECNL team in a few years. Best of luck to them.

Lewis also brought his Coventry Boys team over to SoccerPlus two years ago and they also won the U11 Premier League in Spring 2011 and they also beat both Oakwood U11 Boys Teams. This spring, the Coventry Boys also won the Connecticut Cup. Naturally, the team followed him to CFC Alliance.

CFC Alliance has 7 teams and just over 100 players. They've hired quality coaches with Division I backgrounds who have coached at the Premier Level for years. They are off to a great start.

In addition to the 3 U11 Girls players who followed him from SoccerPlus Stars, Lewis picked up 12 more players for CFC Alliance U12 Girls. It might take him some time, but the CFC Alliance U12 girls will be just as competitive as SoccerPlus Stars U12 Girls. The U11 Premier League is not the best test. It is doubtful that either team will be at the top of the U12 chart this year. It will be interesting to see which team has a better record this spring.
    That was a good, albeit somewhat slanted, summary of events at the new CFC Alliance outfit. In this forum that's all you can ask for.

If S+ was promising ECNL status, these U12 Stars kids would only be ONE year away. Unless S+ fails to send a U13 representative again in 2013-14 as they are reported to be doing in 2012-13. I wonder if the S+ U12 non-Stars team knows that they've been muscled out in the bid to keep Stars in the fold...

OP seems anxious to see which teams prevail against each other this year in CJSA U12. Anything that gives CJSA league a little spice is welcome. Maybe they will battle for supremacy in the new CJSA Supereliteplatinumchampion Premier Division. I heard those games will be on PPV...

Comment

?

What does OP mean? The other S+ team is by far the worst incoming u12 team in CJSA so that was a no brainer to give to the Stars. The Bristol team would be a discgrace to ECNL even by recent S+ standards.

Comment

What does OP mean? The other S+ team is by far the worst incoming u12 team in CJSA so that was a no brainer to give to the Stars. The Bristol team would be a discgrace to ECNL even by recent S+ standards.
        OP = Original Poster
        That machine in front of you is called a com-pu-ter.

Comment

OP = Original Poster
          That machine in front of you is called a com-pu-ter.
          thank you. First time on a blog. Had no idea.

Comment

thank you. First time on a blog. Had no idea.
            You have no idea how crazy these parents are either. Like it or not CFC continues to acquire talent and revenue. This will lead them to having options other clubs will not. Looking into the crystal ball united teams have the potential to be truly elite as SCP, Arsenal, Extreme, and Wolves team up not to mention others that they may "merge" into the nation.

Comment

U13 ECNL SoccerPlus Elite

The Bristol team has some good players. The Stars has some good players. SoccerPlus will most likely take the good players from both teams as the core for their U13 ECNL team for the 2013/2014 season. From there, they will most likely hold an open try-out in order to attract the top players from other non-ECNL clubs.

Comment

The Bristol team has some good players. The Stars has some good players. SoccerPlus will most likely take the good players from both teams as the core for their U13 ECNL team for the 2013/2014 season. From there, they will most likely hold an open try-out in order to attract the top players from other non-ECNL clubs.
                Are we witnessing the birth of the S+ branch network model? Funneling into an elite "United" team at older ages?

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

If S+ follows the CFC model, what does it mean for OW, Yankee, Beachside, FSA? Are they just on the menu for future absorption by one of the franchisers? CFC FSA, S+ Yankee, CFC Beachside, S+ OW, ...

Comment

Are we witnessing the birth of the S+ branch network model? Funneling into an elite "United" team at older ages?

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

If S+ follows the CFC model, what does it mean for OW, Yankee, Beachside, FSA? Are they just on the menu for future absorption by one of the franchisers? CFC FSA, S+ Yankee, CFC Beachside, S+ OW, ...
                  You must be new to premier soccer. Why any club would want to follow what S+ has done in the past few years? Soccerplus Oakwood? Are you serious. I'm sure RD and DF would be glad to step aside after 20+ years. C'mon now

Comment

You must be new to premier soccer. Why any club would want to follow what S+ has done in the past few years? Soccerplus Oakwood? Are you serious. I'm sure RD and DF would be glad to step aside after 20+ years. C'mon now
                    The issue isn't whether anyone would WANT to step aside... It's whether the evolution of the business would FORCE them to step aside.

CFC has demonstrated the power of the branch model. If S+ follows suit and further confirms the dominance of that strategy what is OW to do? Start their own network of franchises? Not likely. Especially with two incumbents in place. No, they would try to hold on as long as they could and, ultimately, maximize their value to an eventual acquirer.

This question is not about which club you think has better soccer - it's about which business is better positioned to survive / thrive in the market that is likely to exist over the next 5-10 years.

Comment

The issue isn't whether anyone would WANT to step aside... It's whether the evolution of the business would FORCE them to step aside.

CFC has demonstrated the power of the branch model. If S+ follows suit and further confirms the dominance of that strategy what is OW to do? Start their own network of franchises? Not likely. Especially with two incumbents in place. No, they would try to hold on as long as they could and, ultimately, maximize their value to an eventual acquirer.

This question is not about which club you think has better soccer - it's about which business is better positioned to survive / thrive in the market that is likely to exist over the next 5-10 years.
                      Obviously you don't know anything about RD or DF and the oakwood program. You can talk all you want about business models. If Oakwood was about making lots of money they would have just continued to use fields in gbury for a lot less than building their own facility. I don't know much about soccerplus but if the earlier post is valid about their issue with paying coaches I don't see how they will be able to follow suit with what cfc is doing. What I do know is they have tried and failed at the merger game multiple times.

Comment

Obviously you don't know anything about RD or DF and the oakwood program. You can talk all you want about business models. If Oakwood was about making lots of money they would have just continued to use fields in gbury for a lot less than building their own facility. I don't know much about soccerplus but if the earlier post is valid about their issue with paying coaches I don't see how they will be able to follow suit with what cfc is doing. What I do know is they have tried and failed at the merger game multiple times.
                        Look, I get it. I know RD and respect the hell out of the OW program. I understand how warped the notion of S+ and OW together would seem. And none of that matters.

OW, like FSA, is based on centralized facilities. They provide great coaches at their great facilities and people come from far and wide to be part of it. That model worked great when competition for talent started at U13 or U12. And when the competition wasn't that stiff.

Now, the competition for players begins at U9 (and younger). The ability to get good training, locally, is a very important factor for parents. The branch / regional / united model gives CFC a huge advantage to offer the right product at the right time as the player develops. What happens when CFC and (potentially) S+'s branch networks choke off the pipeline to OW?

Its very easy to SAY "RD would never [fill in the blank]" but if the organization experienced even a blip in performance things could get pear shaped very quickly. And once the revenues fail to support the heavy infrastructure that's already in place... The only options are to merge or start writing checks from the personal account. All of a sudden, the list of things RD would never do shrinks considerably. There are lots of examples of non-profits doing things that don't maximum revenue but that's a lot different from underwriting a bleeding operation with your own coin.

Comment

Ow

Very true potential on the last post but the numbers don't back it up. Ytl 5,6,7 year olds has been wildly successful in terms of numbers. This has been a great feeder to the younger teams which are very good across boys and girls side. Next years 11s are first URL class and the skill level is very strong. Good foundation for the future and the ow one team model for older ages means club does not need big numbers like other clubs. Indoor facility is a revenue maker for rd and df so they do not need to rely on club dues to pay their bills.

Comment

ok....fact check

Look, I get it. I know RD and respect the hell out of the OW program. I understand how warped the notion of S+ and OW together would seem. And none of that matters.

OW, like FSA, is based on centralized facilities. They provide great coaches at their great facilities and people come from far and wide to be part of it. That model worked great when competition for talent started at U13 or U12. And when the competition wasn't that stiff.

Now, the competition for players begins at U9 (and younger). The ability to get good training, locally, is a very important factor for parents. The branch / regional / united model gives CFC a huge advantage to offer the right product at the right time as the player develops. What happens when CFC and (potentially) S+'s branch networks choke off the pipeline to OW?

Its very easy to SAY "RD would never [fill in the blank]" but if the organization experienced even a blip in performance things could get pear shaped very quickly. And once the revenues fail to support the heavy infrastructure that's already in place... The only options are to merge or start writing checks from the personal account. All of a sudden, the list of things RD would never do shrinks considerably. There are lots of examples of non-profits doing things that don't maximum revenue but that's a lot different from underwriting a bleeding operation with your own coin.
                            On the girls side, how far and wide are people coming to FSA? I doubt there are many kids travelling from greater then a 30 mile radius. Same goes for Oakwood, but especially FSA. Nothing special about their program, including the coaching. No one making the national team practicing 2 times a week for an hour with someones dad or a high school coach who once had a hat trick when he was playing intramural soccer in junior college babby sitting their kid for $3000 a yr, plus camp fees.

Comment

OW, FSA, Yankee, etc are quite successful. It is far from clear that CFC is hurting them in any meaningful way or that the CFC branch model is an inevitable evolutionary development. Just as likely that CFC will fall apart.

Comment

On the girls side, how far and wide are people coming to FSA? I doubt there are many kids travelling from greater then a 30 mile radius. Same goes for Oakwood, but especially FSA. Nothing special about their program, including the coaching. No one making the national team practicing 2 times a week for an hour with someones dad or a high school coach who once had a hat trick when he was playing intramural soccer in junior college babby sitting their kid for $3000 a yr, plus camp fees.
                                Again with the FSA bashing.... I am an FSA parent but not going to get caught up in your nonsense so I'll just give you some facts and you can do what you want with them....

You seem to be really caught up on teams practicing for 1 hr a week indoor twice a week. What are the other programs are offering indoor for 2hrs a week? We are just talking about indoor here but you keep bringing it up. Outdoor practices are standard 1.5 hrs. As for indoor, I always see older teams doing running before or after practice so older teams often do 3hrs a week but I'm sure you are just going off what it says on the website right?

As for your national team comment, not too many CT kids on boys and girls side in the National teams in the last 10 years. TT from SCP may be the only kid from CT right now currently.

As for hs coaches comment who exactly are you bashing here? I've seen the HS/Dad comment before so you must be the same poster. Who exactly do you have a beef with? Yes some FSA coaches coach HS. Does that mean they are all bad coaches?

And camp fees? what are you talking about? There are no camp fees but please feel free to explain that one to me so I can figure that one out. Maybe I missed something. $3,000 is incorrect by about $1,000 but hey you were in the ballpark.

Let's try to keep it civil if possible.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X