Sporting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They will post assignments before tryouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Any FSA kids heading to Sporting in order to keep playing EDP?
      every team needs a bench, so sure, why not?

Comment

They will post assignments before tryouts.
        Any club can tell you who will be coaching, but it can and easily will change by the fall. It isn't always the club's fault - things can change out of their control - so look for a good stable of coaches, not just the one you're hoping for or want to avoid

Comment

Any club can tell you who will be coaching, but it can and easily will change by the fall. It isn't always the club's fault - things can change out of their control - so look for a good stable of coaches, not just the one you're hoping for or want to avoid
          FSA's coaching assignments changed seven times over last weekend alone. FSA is still hiring coaches for next season. FSA's roster will change significantly after tryouts, it seems. So will yours. Coaching assignments now mean diddly, so get over it.

Comment

every team needs a bench, so sure, why not?
            hmmm - so FSA C teams you play weak in state competition, pay a lot but save the travel/mileage. Sporting you pay less in fees but have to travel far beat downs in EDP. Not much of a choice is it?

Comment

hmmm - so FSA C teams you play weak in state competition, pay a lot but save the travel/mileage. Sporting you pay less in fees but have to travel far beat downs in EDP. Not much of a choice is it?
              FSA has better facilities, but Sporting has the adequate parking.

Comment

FSA has better facilities, but Sporting has the adequate parking.
                Bah. Talk to us when either of them have beer and the best veinless hot dogs in North America!

Comment

Bah. Talk to us when either of them have beer and the best veinless hot dogs in North America!
                  I don't mind Sporting, but I hate the prison stripe uniforms.

Comment

FSA's coaching assignments changed seven times over last weekend alone. FSA is still hiring coaches for next season. FSA's roster will change significantly after tryouts, it seems. So will yours. Coaching assignments now mean diddly, so get over it.
                    OP here - I'm not upset about it. I've seen clubs change coach promises multiple times. Like I said it isn't always their fault - coaches quit, or the club has more or less teams than they anticipated. It is what it is. But that's why I said you better be happy with the entire staff at a club because pre-fall promises are often not kept. Best case the club can at least tell you it will be one of 2-3 coaches so you have a narrowed sense of who it will be

Comment

I miss coaching. I coached town travel for three or so cycles of kids. We had 3 practices a week in the summer, 1 a week indoors in the winter, two tournaments, and 3 sessions indoors, plus usually three or four friendlies each spring and fall. I volunteered my time. Costs including uniform were around $125 plus indoor league fees and tournament fees (costs divided by number of players, maybe another $150-200).

I had season-long lesson plans with room for practices devoted to fixing specific game-related issues, rotated kids through all spots, and earned at least as many wins as losses most seasons. I played. I'm nationally licensed. I miss it. Finding goalies was always tough, but I focused them on field play anyway, because that's what I believe town travel should do, with occasional goalie-specific training.

The trouble is, things begin to break down at U11 and U12, when some parents begin to feel they know better, and are looking to spend lots more money to go play pop-up premier. And, I'm really not in it for the bullsh, I didn't get paid enough. So, on the third go round, I just let it go. I do miss it, though.

A lot of the talk on TS reminds me of those parents I left behind.

Comment

I miss coaching. I coached town travel for three or so cycles of kids. We had 3 practices a week in the summer, 1 a week indoors in the winter, two tournaments, and 3 sessions indoors, plus usually three or four friendlies each spring and fall. I volunteered my time. Costs including uniform were around $125 plus indoor league fees and tournament fees (costs divided by number of players, maybe another $150-200).

I had season-long lesson plans with room for practices devoted to fixing specific game-related issues, rotated kids through all spots, and earned at least as many wins as losses most seasons. I played. I'm nationally licensed. I miss it. Finding goalies was always tough, but I focused them on field play anyway, because that's what I believe town travel should do, with occasional goalie-specific training.

The trouble is, things begin to break down at U11 and U12, when some parents begin to feel they know better, and are looking to spend lots more money to go play pop-up premier. And, I'm really not in it for the bullsh, I didn't get paid enough. So, on the third go round, I just let it go. I do miss it, though.

A lot of the talk on TS reminds me of those parents I left behind.
                        And it's because travel is losing coaches like you that parents go to "premier" programs. Some towns still have good coaching and those programs still are doing well. But if the program is faltering, either because of bad coaching, politics, weak management, then parents will be easily lured to premier clubs.

Comment

And it's because travel is losing coaches like you that parents go to "premier" programs. Some towns still have good coaching and those programs still are doing well. But if the program is faltering, either because of bad coaching, politics, weak management, then parents will be easily lured to premier clubs.
                          From my perspective, it's three things. Firstly, I have no time for the petty politics and bullsh; I could be more tolerant, but I volunteer to do this and so must like what I do to keep going. Secondly, I've seen town travel clubs where board members coach for and recruit for pop-up premier, so the clubs destroy themselves from within. These parasites, btw, only have their own kids agenda in mind AND they are the worst kind of daddy coaches: no experience playing, inability to teach, and no training (E-license doesn't count for anything). Thirdly, some parents are just stupid. They think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, they are willing to burn money to go there, and for the next 4-5 years they end up bouncing between numerous pop-up premier teams, with an occasional brief FSA/OW appearance, because they remain unsatisfied. Knock that sht off. Anyway, in the end, the issue comes down to parents, and there's probably no fixing it.

Comment

From my perspective, it's three things. Firstly, I have no time for the petty politics and bullsh; I could be more tolerant, but I volunteer to do this and so must like what I do to keep going. Secondly, I've seen town travel clubs where board members coach for and recruit for pop-up premier, so the clubs destroy themselves from within. These parasites, btw, only have their own kids agenda in mind AND they are the worst kind of daddy coaches: no experience playing, inability to teach, and no training (E-license doesn't count for anything). Thirdly, some parents are just stupid. They think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, they are willing to burn money to go there, and for the next 4-5 years they end up bouncing between numerous pop-up premier teams, with an occasional brief FSA/OW appearance, because they remain unsatisfied. Knock that sht off. Anyway, in the end, the issue comes down to parents, and there's probably no fixing it.
                            Amen.

Comment

you can't fix stupid (#3). you can try and change an organization (#2) but sometimes that takes and iron will and a lot of time and energy, which many of us don't have. #1, politics and bullsh** is partly organizational (#2) and partly parental (#3) because many are looking to give their kids a one up. I get it seems hopeless at times. I was involved on our town travel board for years. There's only so many times you can go to battle without eventually giving up. I also get why parents want to get their kids out of some of those programs and into something more "professionally" run.

Comment

I know kids who went premier, and ended up quitting all soccer as a direct result of the premier experience, and who were doing fine with travel and would still be playing if they had stayed with travel. Oh, and they screwed it up for the travel team on the way out because the took a couple of kids with them. Those kids didn't stay together, either. And, so, some might say this is instant karma, but I say it's typical ego-driven bad parenting that ends up doing nobody any good. Nicely played.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X