Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You all think it’s all about playing soccer for the sake of enjoyment

Read this article and look at yourself in the mirror.

https://apple.news/AaHpMf7UrS6u1pivfOXrspA

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Soccer isn’t a county club sport like squash, fencing, or rowing. Nobody I know putting up a private coach in their guest house or flying them to tournaments in their jet.

Comment

Soccer isn’t a county club sport like squash, fencing, or rowing. Nobody I know putting up a private coach in their guest house or flying them to tournaments in their jet.
      Plenty of soccer families pay for extra training, camps, ID events etc and then there's the $7K a year or more for the higher soccer leagues. All in thebname of trying to play in college.. Soccer isn't squash but it's not exactly a sport for the masses either.

Comment

Plenty of soccer families pay for extra training, camps, ID events etc and then there's the $7K a year or more for the higher soccer leagues. All in thebname of trying to play in college.. Soccer isn't squash but it's not exactly a sport for the masses either.
        soccer is THE sport for the masses...but club soccer in the US is definitely not...

Comment

Squash is what parents do so their kids don't have to compete in major sports, or, if they are girls, so they don't have to compete in soccer.

Comment

Op needs a hobby

Comment

Try bingo with the old folks ☺️

Comment

Read the article earlier today. The Squash stuff is over the top, but the core motivations, and frustrations are identical to club soccer. Lacrosse is essentially identical to soccer.

Comment

Article is spot on, albeit more extreme than most people I know. I know of one family that spent $20k/yr on soccer per child, and they had 4 kids. They were millionaires but I found it outrageous. Also know of families with kids in other sports and getting into the IVYs was the goal. And their kids lives were completely devoted to this even if it meant they had no friends outside their team (and even then teammates were only teammates), no meaningful extra curriculars, and no social lives. One of their kids tried to commit suicide because they were so depressed when they got injured. The pressure parents put on their kids is child abuse.

Comment

I'm half way through this article and I already have a question...

What is the percentage of parents of youth soccer players that "behave" in such manner?

Comment

I've heard of parents giving soccer coaches the keys to their beach house; great deals on car leases or purchases if they own dealerships, cash bonuses as a thank you for working with/playing their kid and more. How is that different?

Comment

Squash is what parents do so their kids don't have to compete in major sports, or, if they are girls, so they don't have to compete in soccer.
                        I have friends that put their kids in fencing because they are not as athletic as required by most other sports and the number of competitors are less. Basically playing a numbers game as far as admissions supported through sports. So far it worked for them. Kids were very smart in top private school too. In outlier sport, that is a must.

Comment

I'm half way through this article and I already have a question...

What is the percentage of parents of youth soccer players that "behave" in such manner?
                          I know soccer parents that have tried to kabosh other kids vs their own. I know of some that gave keys to beach or lake houses to coaches. I know plenty that did things to elevate their kid over others that i did not think fair or ethical; cash bonuses to certain club coaches; gift certificates to fine dining; gas cards; prepaid credit cards for whatever; etc.

Soccer is as cutthroat like other sports. Look at what the former yale coach did and others.

Comment

Article is spot on, albeit more extreme than most people I know. I know of one family that spent $20k/yr on soccer per child, and they had 4 kids. They were millionaires but I found it outrageous. Also know of families with kids in other sports and getting into the IVYs was the goal. And their kids lives were completely devoted to this even if it meant they had no friends outside their team (and even then teammates were only teammates), no meaningful extra curriculars, and no social lives. One of their kids tried to commit suicide because they were so depressed when they got injured. The pressure parents put on their kids is child abuse.
                            Terrible. What a shame that poor kid felt worthless for being hurt. Just terrible.

Comment

I know soccer parents that have tried to kabosh other kids vs their own. I know of some that gave keys to beach or lake houses to coaches. I know plenty that did things to elevate their kid over others that i did not think fair or ethical; cash bonuses to certain club coaches; gift certificates to fine dining; gas cards; prepaid credit cards for whatever; etc.

Soccer is as cutthroat like other sports. Look at what the former yale coach did and others.
                              I don't doubt that you know soccer parents that do this. I think we all know someone who does a few "shady" things to get an advantage, but to the extent of what is described in this article, I would quantify those parents as a minority.... let's say less than 5%.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X