Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Athletes that have earned the right to sign an NLI do care. That's simply not true. And they discuss this on social media. If it's not a big deal, then why insist on signing in on NLI day? If you chose a great D3 school, pick another day. Maybe have a D3 Commitment Day! Wouldn't this solve any misunderstanding while honoring the accomplishments of the athlete?
    Earned the right? Get over yourself. They all work hard and earn their spot, regardless of the division. Pick another day? Because it bothers you? Uh okay.

Comment

Earned the right? Get over yourself. They all work hard and earn their spot, regardless of the division. Pick another day? Because it bothers you? Uh okay.
      Another D1 parent chiming in to say my athlete didn't care. He was just as happy for his classmates going D3 as D1. D1 all upset by this parents need to get over themselves. I imagine them bragging at the watercooler (pre covid) about their kid getting a scholarship, when in fact it's probably 8K athletic and the rest financial aid.

Comment

Another D1 parent chiming in to say my athlete didn't care. He was just as happy for his classmates going D3 as D1. D1 all upset by this parents need to get over themselves. I imagine them bragging at the watercooler (pre covid) about their kid getting a scholarship, when in fact it's probably 8K athletic and the rest financial aid.
        so whats your point that they are lame for signing and actual contract that just wasn't enough? But your ok with people signing a faux contract for nothing?

Comment

For those that already lied - and yes it was a lie if you held a pen, or posted anything on social media with the word "signing" - I realize that we are no longer having a conversation because you need to protect yourself. Learn to live with it.

For those of you that are facing upcoming commitments without NLIs please post on social media, tell all your friends, and celebrate a great accomplishment, and even share with the local paper. Just don't betray your kid and imply that you were really hoping for something more by forcing them to hold a pen or suffer from you posting a "signing day" when they know they signed nothing.

Comment

For those that already lied - and yes it was a lie if you held a pen, or posted anything on social media with the word "signing" - I realize that we are no longer having a conversation because you need to protect yourself. Learn to live with it.

For those of you that are facing upcoming commitments without NLIs please post on social media, tell all your friends, and celebrate a great accomplishment, and even share with the local paper. Just don't betray your kid and imply that you were really hoping for something more by forcing them to hold a pen or suffer from you posting a "signing day" when they know they signed nothing.
            Betray your kid? Force them? What the h*ll is wrong with you? You are out of control and pissed off about kids celebrating something they ALL worked years for. Get off your high horse.

Comment

You sit on a throne of lies.

Comment

Why are people getting upset with another group of parents trying to hijack a day designated for NLI signings? Everyone should get to sign and celebrate a day designated for signings.

Comment

D1 college soccer rosters have a very limited number of spots where kids get money. I think it is like 9 out of 30. The reality is that if two kids are of equal playing ability and one kid is from a low income family and one is a high income family then the low income kid gets the money. So...the kid that didn't get a scholarship because his parents have money shouldn't enjoy a few minutes of the spotlight for years of hard work and sacrifice? Sounds petty. I am not a purist...if a kid is accepted to a college and offered a spot on the team then he/she should be able to take a picture...with or without a pen in their hand.
                  Seems like you believe the poor kid is also stupid. The “money” might be merit because the kid went to a prep school or public school and busted their ass. The coach will love it for reasons you know.

Comment

Seems like you believe the poor kid is also stupid. The “money” might be merit because the kid went to a prep school or public school and busted their ass. The coach will love it for reasons you know.
                    You are ignorant. The post didn't say anything about merit aid or a poor kid being stupid. It was specifically about scholarship money. It said that both kids were accepted to the same college. The post was about a typical NLI situation in todays college admissions and recruitment process. This is standard in todays world...the families that are less able to pay full fare are subsidized. Coaches ask upfront about financial aid requirements.

Ever hear of 'Need-Blind' in the college admissions process?

Comment

You are ignorant. The post didn't say anything about merit aid or a poor kid being stupid. It was specifically about scholarship money. It said that both kids were accepted to the same college. The post was about a typical NLI situation in todays college admissions and recruitment process. This is standard in todays world...the families that are less able to pay full fare are subsidized. Coaches ask upfront about financial aid requirements.

Ever hear of 'Need-Blind' in the college admissions process?
                      Fed financial aid income cutoffs are ridiculously low. Most soccer families are middle to upper income and won't qualify. Financial assistance that comes from the schools themselves is all over the map, from very generous to very stingy.

Comment

Not for nothing, but I have a current D3 college player and a recent D1 commit. The D1 commit, 100% worked harder for her spot on her college team, no question. The D3 player literally opted for D3 because she didn't want to have to work that hard. I'm very proud of both of them and they both made the decisions that were best for them and their collegiate aspirations.

My college Senior will be graduating in the Spring and will be wearing the chord (and maybe the stole) representing the honor society for her major, that she was recently inducted to. I would feel just as strongly if kids in her graduating class were wearing fake chords that the school made up for them, just so they wouldn't feel left out as I do about including D3 commits on NLI signing day. NLIs don't exist for D3 players, period.

Comment

Not for nothing, but I have a current D3 college player and a recent D1 commit. The D1 commit, 100% worked harder for her spot on her college team, no question. The D3 player literally opted for D3 because she didn't want to have to work that hard. I'm very proud of both of them and they both made the decisions that were best for them and their collegiate aspirations.

My college Senior will be graduating in the Spring and will be wearing the chord (and maybe the stole) representing the honor society for her major, that she was recently inducted to. I would feel just as strongly if kids in her graduating class were wearing fake chords that the school made up for them, just so they wouldn't feel left out as I do about including D3 commits on NLI signing day. NLIs don't exist for D3 players, period.
                          First, congratulations on your kids acceptances.

Second, this is all semantics. Call it 'Acceptance Day' if it makes everyone happy. The reality is that a kid that gets $1000 in athletic scholarship from D1 Central Connecticut State (3.0 GPA and ranked 197 out of 206) gets to sign during 'NLI Day' but a kid that gets no athletic scholarship from Tufts (4.0 GPA and ranked #1 out of 407) can't hold a pen in a picture. I'm not even saying Tufts is better than Central Connecticut State but the academic requirements are more difficult and Tufts soccer teams would probably beat Central Connecticut State 10 times out of 10.

Comment

First, congratulations on your kids acceptances.

Second, this is all semantics. Call it 'Acceptance Day' if it makes everyone happy. The reality is that a kid that gets $1000 in athletic scholarship from D1 Central Connecticut State (3.0 GPA and ranked 197 out of 206) gets to sign during 'NLI Day' but a kid that gets no athletic scholarship from Tufts (4.0 GPA and ranked #1 out of 407) can't hold a pen in a picture. I'm not even saying Tufts is better than Central Connecticut State but the academic requirements are more difficult and Tufts soccer teams would probably beat Central Connecticut State 10 times out of 10.
                            A National Letter of Intent is a legal document. You don't have homeless people at your lawyer's office signing mortgages on "signing day." IEPs are legal documents. Do you want your perfectly functioning child having a "signing day" for that? My child is signing for UConn, but maybe I'll have her wear a Harvard sweatshirt instead.

Comment

A National Letter of Intent is a legal document. You don't have homeless people at your lawyer's office signing mortgages on "signing day." IEPs are legal documents. Do you want your perfectly functioning child having a "signing day" for that? My child is signing for UConn, but maybe I'll have her wear a Harvard sweatshirt instead.
                              Most kids are doing Early Decision which is also a legal document.

Comment

IEPs are legal documents. Do you want your perfectly functioning child having a "signing day" for that? (Ridiculous statement since IEPs are for minors and require an adult to sign). Most, if not all, of the NLI's are kids that are 18 or older)

UConn signing wearing a Harvard sweatshirt is another foolish statement. A kid is holding a pen in a picture. They are not misrepresenting that they are signing to go to a school. It's all of you hardons that think NLI is a big deal in all cases and that D3 kids shouldn't be able to represent their achievement (especially if they are holding a pen...gasp!).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X