• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    ODP, how can I explain it? I’ll take you frame by frame it
    O is for Olympic, D is for Development
    The last P...well...that's not that simple

Actually it is...it’s Program

awarding this post, best post on this site.

Comment

hahaha my post has nothing to do with Naughty By Nature but wanted to give you props. With south shore select on total hiatus from club soccer this fall can you imagine all the nervous select parents rushing over to ODP? Queue select parents bragging about how ODP is the best league in the country in 3,2,1......
      You guys are hilarious. I've been on TS before posting about this and I've been real clear about the benefit of ODP for my D. She plays ECNL (National) and has been involved in ODP for 4 years. This will be her last year as she ages out. She has made more friends from ODP than any other team and I would argue has learned more from her time with ODP coaches then her club these last few years.

She has gotten attention from D1 college coaches that she otherwise may not have due to relationships with ODP. Making the state team isn't particularly difficult in MA if you are NPL level or higher (or whatever the new nomenclature is). However, making the Region 1 team is no joke and most here on TS have kids that couldn't make the cut, regardless of their nonsense posting. As far as relevance, do your homework. Every single college recruiting questionnaire my kid has filled out has asked if they participated in ODP and to what level and it has come up in multiple conversations with coaches. Many of the players who get recruited have participated at some point and is part of their soccer resume. Is it necessary? Nope. Can it be beneficial? Yep. In our case, it was well worth the time and money. YMMV.

Comment

hahaha my post has nothing to do with Naughty By Nature but wanted to give you props. With south shore select on total hiatus from club soccer this fall can you imagine all the nervous select parents rushing over to ODP? Queue select parents bragging about how ODP is the best league in the country in 3,2,1......
        Ignorant post. ODP is not a league, it’s a program. Learn before you post.

Comment

You guys are hilarious. I've been on TS before posting about this and I've been real clear about the benefit of ODP for my D. She plays ECNL (National) and has been involved in ODP for 4 years. This will be her last year as she ages out. She has made more friends from ODP than any other team and I would argue has learned more from her time with ODP coaches then her club these last few years.

She has gotten attention from D1 college coaches that she otherwise may not have due to relationships with ODP. Making the state team isn't particularly difficult in MA if you are NPL level or higher (or whatever the new nomenclature is). However, making the Region 1 team is no joke and most here on TS have kids that couldn't make the cut, regardless of their nonsense posting. As far as relevance, do your homework. Every single college recruiting questionnaire my kid has filled out has asked if they participated in ODP and to what level and it has come up in multiple conversations with coaches. Many of the players who get recruited have participated at some point and is part of their soccer resume. Is it necessary? Nope. Can it be beneficial? Yep. In our case, it was well worth the time and money. YMMV.
          It must be a girl thing. ODP for boys is like soccer daycare.

Comment

I guess this year it is very, very good for select girls to play since they stopped playing at sss. odp is going to be flooded with select players.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with post of this. But be honest about the selection process for interregionals and the camps. It is rigged from the beginning. Most of those camp girls are just paying for freight. They are good, but they do not have the support of the coaches. Those girls are picked and told about being picked even before the camp. There are some surprises that break through and get a spot, but most of those spots from each state are picked.
              The coaches sit a room and discuss which girls they want in the travel pool and then, ultimately the travel team. It is about beating the other regions. College coaches know this and your dd still have to show at the id camps. There were girls who really shouldn't have been at the camps, pool, and even at interregionals. Parents who didn't do this. Do not worry about pompous dads crowing about ODP. Your kid has to be a baller, no matter what.

PDP or CSP from ECNL is very similar. The DOC and coaches pick to send their best to the regional camp and see if they can get through.

Comment

After all the money, travel, and time spent in ECNL, you still needed to have that training augmented with ODP?

That's not a good look for ECNL.

Comment

I'm torn. My D has been on ODP for 2 years. First year went to the regional camp. This year was an almost complete loss due to covid.

It is heavily weighted to players who can make the commute. While there are a few 2007's from Martha's Vineyard that make the trek, the majority of the teams come from NEFC (I only have experience with the 07s)

The tryouts get 100+ girls for 40 or so spots. The caliber at the tryouts is good and the pool is very good. The top girls are phenomenal. The coaching is mixed, although only one year really to judge by. The coaches are new every year (as far as I can see) and are listed on the MYSA site.

Benefits-
                  * if you or your player want to see how your player stacks up against a good set of players from across the state and potentially other regions
                  * making friends. mentioned by another but my D keeps in touch with her friends from ODP and most club and town games will know a player or two on the other team from ODP
                  * building community. related to above but I've seen ODP participation lesson the "other team is evil jerks" mentality. The players on the other team would be your friends if you knew them and when you do it changes the mindset. Competition is still there but also more respect.
                  * more/different coaching. some of the coaches have been great.

Downsides-
                  * TRAVEL. Every Monday out to lancaster isn't for everyone. (tip- the Dunkin Donuts has good free wifi if your work allows you to be flexible)
                  * Cost. another $1k or so for fees, travel, etc. Not counting if you make it on to the travel team (which my D has not). You pay winter, spring, tournaments separately tho so you could stop if you wanted

Given the ongoing covid mess I'm torn on if it makes sense to do this year.

Comment

I'm torn. My D has been on ODP for 2 years. First year went to the regional camp. This year was an almost complete loss due to covid.

It is heavily weighted to players who can make the commute. While there are a few 2007's from Martha's Vineyard that make the trek, the majority of the teams come from NEFC (I only have experience with the 07s)

The tryouts get 100+ girls for 40 or so spots. The caliber at the tryouts is good and the pool is very good. The top girls are phenomenal. The coaching is mixed, although only one year really to judge by. The coaches are new every year (as far as I can see) and are listed on the MYSA site.

Benefits-
                    * if you or your player want to see how your player stacks up against a good set of players from across the state and potentially other regions
                    * making friends. mentioned by another but my D keeps in touch with her friends from ODP and most club and town games will know a player or two on the other team from ODP
                    * building community. related to above but I've seen ODP participation lesson the "other team is evil jerks" mentality. The players on the other team would be your friends if you knew them and when you do it changes the mindset. Competition is still there but also more respect.

Downsides-
                    * TRAVEL. Every Monday out to lancaster isn't for everyone. (tip- the Dunkin Donuts has good free wifi if your work allows you to be flexible)
                    * Cost. another $1k or so for fees, travel, etc. Not counting if you make it on to the travel team (which my D has not). You pay winter, spring, tournaments separately tho so you could stop if you wanted

For context, what league is your daughter playing in and how do her teammates compare to the level of player at ODP?

Comment

After all the money, travel, and time spent in ECNL, you still needed to have that training augmented with ODP?

That's not a good look for ECNL.
                      What a waste of time and money

Comment

For context, what league is your daughter playing in and how do her teammates compare to the level of player at ODP?
                        There were several of her club teammates on the pool this year. Fairly certain some others on the club team wouldn't have made it. Was a good team but not one of the top teams.

Fwiw very few top Select or Scorpions players come out for the team. Not because they couldn't make it (they would) but because of their location and existing soccer load.

If your player is at the top of their ok team and looking to get some time playing with other good/better players odp might be worth it. If you are on a top 5 team in the state and getting plenty of training and good coaching and live 1hr+ away? Probably not worth it

(not particularly interested in outing anyone on TS)

Comment

Benefits-

Downsides-

Our daughter did ODP for many years. It was a great experience for her, but you have to go in being realistic. We didn't expect her to be one of the best players, make the regional pool, have the very best coaches all the time. We did expect her to make new friends, be challenged most of the time and get to test herself against other players from many other states while at the regional camp. She got all of that and more. She made some very close friends with players from many different clubs. She went through the excitement and dissapointment of doing very well and not so well at camps. Each year she did better and finally fought her way into the pool. It was all a learning experience and she's a better kid and player because of it. Don't listen to the people who bash ODP. Make up your own mind.

Comment

Many helpful thoughts re: ODP on this list. Those that just say "waste of money", are useless without providing context around why. Like everything else it comes down to personal situation and goals.

If you are a high level player already on high level teams in high level leagues with college coach exposure, yeah, ODP is unnecessary.

If you are younger or middle-school aged, it can be a helpful supplement to a local club team with your friends. On the good side ODP can give an extra boost of pride to parents and players as they progress from pool to travel teams, and may justify move to a big name club. On the bad side ODP ends in a harsh judgement for all but 3-5 players that get invited (make the cut) to the regional level. This causes parent dissatisfaction and feeling that it is all fixed and isn't worth it. Ironically, this may be the most "worth it" assessment, but most don't want to hear their kid doesn't have it.

For those the do make it to the regional pool and get selected for the inter-regional teams to play at national tournaments it offers very good soccer and college exposure (in a non-covid year). As another poster pointed out, it adds to her soccer resume, and builds familiarity/friendships with teammates from across the region (Buffalo to VA). These are players she will run into again and again as opponents at club events and showcases.

For our family ODP was a good experience, and served as a supplement to her local club. She stopped ODP in 9th grade after joining a big name club

Comment

My daughter was in the 2007 Region 1 training pool that trained in Hershey PA last December. It was a very talented group and great experience.

Comment

My daughter was in the 2007 Region 1 training pool that trained in Hershey PA last December. It was a very talented group and great experience.
                                We know. You mention it at every opportunity.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X