Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Seattle is now at 19 cases per 100k over the past week, with an average of zero hospitalizations per day for the past week. Those figures are well below the thresholds for opening schools and going to phase 3.

This despite one of the most proactive testing programs in the country, with large numbers of asymptomatic people tested for free each day (and the use of PCR tests that, while there's nothing better yet, are apparently largely catching large numbers of people who had the virus previously and are thus no longer infectious, and are thus if anything overstating the current risk of community transmission).

https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/hea...y-summary.aspx
    ... And today's Seattle Times article reports that Seattle United has had 1900 kids practicing for two months, with a total of two cases among kids in the club, neither contracted at practice and neither resulting in further transmission within the club.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...thers-play-on/

Comment

... And today's Seattle Times article reports that Seattle United has had 1900 kids practicing for two months, with a total of two cases among kids in the club, neither contracted at practice and neither resulting in further transmission within the club.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...thers-play-on/
      More notably, a baseball team in Yakima County has hosted teams from all over the region the entire summer and has not had a single traced case among players, staff, or families. Insane...almost like outdoor activities have an exceptionally low risk for younger people.

Comment

More notably, a baseball team in Yakima County has hosted teams from all over the region the entire summer and has not had a single traced case among players, staff, or families. Insane...almost like outdoor activities have an exceptionally low risk for younger people.
        PSPL has a petition up urging the Governor to allow return to play in youth sports: http://psplsoccer.com/kids1st

WSYSA sent a letter to the Governor yesterday urging the State to allow return to play during phase 2 (with no corner kicks or tournaments): https://washingtonyouthsoccer.org/wa...ay-guidelines/

Nice that both organizations are being proactive, but it is silly, sad, and absurd that they aren't working together and pooling their efforts to come up with return to play protocols that the state will accept. The PSPL petition could easily have been a joint blast to all of the clubs in the state, and the WSYSA letter could easily have been submitted on behalf of all the clubs in the state.

Comment

"replace corner kicks with pass-in restarts"

I'm really scratching my head over the phrasing of this one.

Comment

"replace corner kicks with pass-in restarts"

I'm really scratching my head over the phrasing of this one.
            The theory, which a couple of states have adopted (and which makes some sense), is that corner kicks are one of the few occasions during a game when players actually are standing still in close proximity for one another for more than a couple seconds, so you can further diminish the (already very, very low) risk of Covid transmission during soccer by eliminating them for the time being. Most places (including all of the UK and about 40 states) are just playing normal soccer, so this seems like overkill, but if it’s a compromise that needs to be made to get going so be it.

Comment

The Surf study is very interesting - it found that some of their members (players and coaches) DID test positive - 15 out of almost 7000 studied over 8 weeks - but zero of those cases were traced back to soccer contact. In other words, those 15 people got covid in the community, not playing soccer. And none of the 15 brought it back to the soccer community. In one case, a player tested positive and found out when his entire family got tested before visiting an elderly relative. The kid trained with his team while presumably being positive, but no one else on the team got covid.

What this tells me is two things. First, as I suspected, outdoor activities are very low risk. Second, kids are safer playing soccer than they are not playing. That's worth repeating - the very few that got covid aren't getting covid playing soccer - they're getting it when they are away from playing soccer.

Both of those things tell me we could return to playing games the way New York State and other places are, with some reasonable guidelines. I think you could also make the case that coaches could influence their players' behavior more positively if they had games to look forward to. In other words, coaches and clubs can consistently reinforce things like good hand hygiene, wearing masks, etc - away from soccer - as a reminder that their team can only play if everyone follows the rules. Kids are gonna be kids and some of them will still be reckless - but games are a reward that for many kids will make being careful more worthwhile (keeping in mind that kids generally see themselves as immortal and telling them "you might get sick and die" doesn't resonate with them).

And yes, this was a small study - but it's a start and the results are very encouraging. I think it's time we move forward. Being careful and cautious, but also mindful of the fact that forcing kids to shelter in place in front of a computer screen indefinitely has its own very legitimate health risks as well.
              The problem is the "study" is pretty garbage. They didn't do any systematic testing of the players, so there's no way to know if there was any asymptomatic spread. It also doesn't prove the point that you can move from 12 person pods to full competition as that also doesn't appear to be the numbers they are talking about. They basically said, "If you do what we are already currently doing you might be ok."

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coron...r-game-england

Comment

The problem is the "study" is pretty garbage. They didn't do any systematic testing of the players, so there's no way to know if there was any asymptomatic spread. It also doesn't prove the point that you can move from 12 person pods to full competition as that also doesn't appear to be the numbers they are talking about. They basically said, "If you do what we are already currently doing you might be ok."

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coron...r-game-england
                Shutting things down, rather than allowing them to remain open, should be based on some proof of a significant additional risk that justifies shutting them down. That can’t be said of youth soccer — 40+ states are playing, and the UK has been playing since 8/1. *** are we doing here? Gov Inslee opened up bowling last week— can anyone seriously suggest that an indoor activity largely played by dudes with high bmi’s is less risky than youth soccer?

Comment

go look at the RCL schedule.. if all goes to plan you are t-minus two and a half weeks from playing games.

Comment

Shutting things down, rather than allowing them to remain open, should be based on some proof of a significant additional risk that justifies shutting them down. That can’t be said of youth soccer — 40+ states are playing, and the UK has been playing since 8/1. *** are we doing here? Gov Inslee opened up bowling last week— can anyone seriously suggest that an indoor activity largely played by dudes with high bmi’s is less risky than youth soccer?
                    Well according to the bad data that WSYS sent to the state, yes. https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3223

I think that if an organization mandates weekly testing and contact tracing in order to do a real study on the transmission rates and proves out what anecdotal evidence people keep bringing up, we should look to reopen. But what we do have evidence of is a highly damaging, air born virus with scary infection rates, and we should take that seriously when it comes to our kids. We are 4 times over our target to get to phase 3. We're not going to get there by opening up before we data that shows how to minimize the risk, which we don't have.

Comment

Well according to the bad data that WSYS sent to the state, yes. https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3223

I think that if an organization mandates weekly testing and contact tracing in order to do a real study on the transmission rates and proves out what anecdotal evidence people keep bringing up, we should look to reopen. But what we do have evidence of is a highly damaging, air born virus with scary infection rates, and we should take that seriously when it comes to our kids. We are 4 times over our target to get to phase 3. We're not going to get there by opening up before we data that shows how to minimize the risk, which we don't have.
                      The current rate in Seattle, over the past two weeks, is 13 cases per 100k. Where are you getting 4x the 25/100k phase 3 target (which itself is outdated and much more conservative than many places)? And of that handful of cases, there have been three hospitalizations over the past ten days. Until recently, we generally assumed activities were ok until it was shown there was some risk that justified constraining them. Those wanting to go to school, play soccer, etc shouldn’t need to prove those activities don’t result in additional risk; rather, those wanting to shut down those activities should first prove the activity results some additional risk that warrants the shut down. No one has shown soccer results in any additional risk, and all the evidence — from 40+ states and numerous countries — is to the contrary as any youth sports-related outbreak would have been publicized.

Comment

Inslee will keep moving the goal posts until after the election.....fact.

Comment

The current rate in Seattle, over the past two weeks, is 13 cases per 100k. Where are you getting 4x the 25/100k phase 3 target (which itself is outdated and much more conservative than many places)? And of that handful of cases, there have been three hospitalizations over the past ten days. Until recently, we generally assumed activities were ok until it was shown there was some risk that justified constraining them. Those wanting to go to school, play soccer, etc shouldn’t need to prove those activities don’t result in additional risk; rather, those wanting to shut down those activities should first prove the activity results some additional risk that warrants the shut down. No one has shown soccer results in any additional risk, and all the evidence — from 40+ states and numerous countries — is to the contrary as any youth sports-related outbreak would have been publicized.
                          yeah but my teams first two games are in Spokane and Idaho. Idaho rates not so bad, but Spokane is increasing and you have to drive through and stop to use the bathroom in counties with skyrocketing rates and poor mask comliance. There's plenty of competition locally. RCL should have left out the eastern Washington and Idaho teams this year. They could make their own competitive group on that side of the mountains.

Comment

I appreciate this discourse. Thanks for posting something that’s not you’re wrong libtard like so many stable geniuses who post here.

I’m getting the numbers from here: https://coronavirus.wa.gov/what-you-...ment-dashboard

We are as of the 19th 3x the goal for king county. I’m assuming your child plays competitive soccer so to me, it makes sense to not look so specifically at a city because for every Seattle there’s a white center; our kids are going to have to play with kids coming from places with much higher infection rates.

There is proof that the activities you listed enable spread. We need more testing to find out at what level but 190,000 people are dead, countless more are struggling with long lasting health effects (lung scarring, heart walks thickening, etc.) in large part because of this argument which is at its core an appeal to ignorance. (Logical fallacy, not personal attack)

Comment

I appreciate this discourse. Thanks for posting something that’s not you’re wrong libtard like so many stable geniuses who post here.

I’m getting the numbers from here: https://coronavirus.wa.gov/what-you-...ment-dashboard

We are as of the 19th 3x the goal for king county. I’m assuming your child plays competitive soccer so to me, it makes sense to not look so specifically at a city because for every Seattle there’s a white center; our kids are going to have to play with kids coming from places with much higher infection rates.

There is proof that the activities you listed enable spread. We need more testing to find out at what level but 190,000 people are dead, countless more are struggling with long lasting health effects (lung scarring, heart walks thickening, etc.) in large part because of this argument which is at its core an appeal to ignorance. (Logical fallacy, not personal attack)
                              As was suggested above, the only conclusive way to assess whether outdoor sports contribute to community transmission would be to allow outdoor sports to start up and continuing and monitoring the situation. With community transmission now at low levels (even the 75k/100k/14 day level for King County reflected is at the level Harvard School of Public Health recommended for reopening schools), no meaningful current burden on hospitals, a very low apparent risk to children (certainly in terms of symptoms, hospitalizations, and deaths) of not playing sports and attending school in person vis-a-vis the relatively known and quantifiable impacts of not doing those things, and recent data showing a lot of the "positive" PCR tests are actually catching non-infectious old remnants of RNA strands due to the high cycle threshold setting in the test equipment, and 40+ states already playing, there are plenty of good reasons to think it's time to turn the dial towards a further reopening. Instead choosing to open bowling alleys (indoors, older population, lots of older facilities with mediocre ventilation, lots of high bmi's), as the state recently did, doesn't make a lot of sense.

Comment

Soccer

Yet it is okay to protest.....

Our state is in the same state of affairs as all the other states that are fully open....think about that.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X