Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D1 dead period pushed out to Jan 1

How do you guys feel about the dead period being extended yet again for D1? How is the recruiting process affecting your kid?

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ng-dead-period

My kid's a 2023. So I feel we are right on track for June 15.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My kid's a 2023. So I feel we are right on track for June 15.
      ditto

Comment

How do you guys feel about the dead period being extended yet again for D1? How is the recruiting process affecting your kid?

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ng-dead-period
        2022 son, sucks bad. The 21's are really getting the shaft.

Comment

My understanding was that this was done to "level the playing field" since the whole country isn't "open" but it sucks for the 2021s. Kids can still call/email/send film. Send out academic info now that school has started, send practice footage if that's all you've got, get creative. Very thankful my kid already committed. We got lucky

Comment

Agree that is in name to level the playing field, but there are tourneys and games in other parts of the country that kids can at least get SOME footage at to send to coaches. I think it is also to let the coaches graciously back out of recruiting at all in a situation in which they are uncertain who is going to be on their CURRENT teams. Who knows how many freshman delaying admission will actually show up next year and how many seniors will want to take an extra year of eligibility.

It is a complete sh*t show out there for the class of 2021. Add almost two weeks of no training due to smoke and my house is not a pleasant place to come home to...Things were looking great for DS in March but since the covid hammer came down, its mostly radio silence from coaches-they had all wanted to see him play in person.

Comment

Agree that is in name to level the playing field, but there are tourneys and games in other parts of the country that kids can at least get SOME footage at to send to coaches. I think it is also to let the coaches graciously back out of recruiting at all in a situation in which they are uncertain who is going to be on their CURRENT teams. Who knows how many freshman delaying admission will actually show up next year and how many seniors will want to take an extra year of eligibility.

It is a complete sh*t show out there for the class of 2021. Add almost two weeks of no training due to smoke and my house is not a pleasant place to come home to...Things were looking great for DS in March but since the covid hammer came down, its mostly radio silence from coaches-they had all wanted to see him play in person.
              Take heart that boys do tend to commit a little later...My older son didn't commit til Jan of senior year with no pandemic and landed in a great program, and older daughter still had programs contacting her in spring sr yr that didn't know she'd committed. Not knowing who will be on the team due to covid disruption is a huge issue tho. My 2021 was warned by college coach that roster may be big next year because they aren't cutting anyone. Hope it works out for you!

Comment

Take heart that boys do tend to commit a little later...My older son didn't commit til Jan of senior year with no pandemic and landed in a great program, and older daughter still had programs contacting her in spring sr yr that didn't know she'd committed. Not knowing who will be on the team due to covid disruption is a huge issue tho. My 2021 was warned by college coach that roster may be big next year because they aren't cutting anyone. Hope it works out for you!
                This very well could ripple out for years. 28 man roster with 6 seniors could theoretically play 12 games this year and only use up eligibility for the seniors. That’s getting 22 players valuable playing time and use zero eligibility. Gonna be tough to crack that roster for a few years. Depending on how many of those 22 are freshman the coach can spend 0 on recruiting for 2 years and spend that $$ elsewhere.

Comment

Out of curiosity, for those of you with 2021s, how is the recruiting process going? Any contact from D1 coaches in light of the dead period? Anyone going through in the pre-read process with D3s? Or has it been radio silence?

Comment

Out of curiosity, for those of you with 2021s, how is the recruiting process going? Any contact from D1 coaches in light of the dead period? Anyone going through in the pre-read process with D3s? Or has it been radio silence?
                    My 2021 saw more activity in the early phases of lockdown/spring from schools in all divisions, including some who contacted out of the blue after viewing her profile. She committed to a school in the summer -- she was able to do an official visit there in Feb before everything shut down, and had previously been to their camps, met with coach etc so the relationship had been built over time. If you have a 2021, I wouldn't give up -- coaches can still email, watch film etc. Keep in touch with schools you're interested in. Some already have 2021 class set, but if you like the school, you never know. Reach out. Ideally kids should email every few weeks with some news - latest thing the're working on in practice, latest grades, a volunteer project - anything that makes the kid stand out in the sea of emails. Include photos too, of sports activity but also family stuff. At this point many schools have already recruited their "stars" but if they need to round out the roster, they're looking for nice kids who contribute athletically but are also just good kids to have around.

Comment

A lot of emails and phone calls in spring for my DS21. A few schools requested transcripts in July. Things have slowed down recently.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X