Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is the problem with youth sports today; the parents do what they want. Guess what their children learn? Don't want to participate fully with a team or can't, then do not join the team. This is what rec and travel are for (although I do not agree with it even for travel soccer).

Exactly. I agree with this so much, I feel like putting it on a T-Shirt and wearing it this weekend.

We moved to a higher-level team this year, and have to say we are surprised on the dedication. Mostly off-season training, but it's an issue overall. 16 girls on a roster, and the same 6 have 95% attendance to everything: fitness training, video training, skills, practices, games, etc. Same ones always there.

Other 10? Some don't go to practice if it's too early; if scrimmages are too far; if it's cold, etc. If that's what you want...that's perfectly fine. There's plenty of opportunities for that. But, for supposedly higher (not highest) level of play, we are disappointed.

Not coincidentally, 3 of those 10 get limited minutes yet complain the most about it.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....

Comment

This is the problem with youth sports today; the parents do what they want. Guess what their children learn? Don't want to participate fully with a team or can't, then do not join the team. This is what rec and travel are for (although I do not agree with it even for travel soccer).
      Very true. A few times my kids have waivered in their enthusiasm in various things, which then resulted in discussions about commitment, sticking it out, digging into why they aren't enjoying it any more. Quitting part way through isn't an option unless there's an extreme reason. Same with ailing out on a game or tournament just because they don't feel like it.

Comment

Exactly. I agree with this so much, I feel like putting it on a T-Shirt and wearing it this weekend.

We moved to a higher-level team this year, and have to say we are surprised on the dedication. Mostly off-season training, but it's an issue overall. 16 girls on a roster, and the same 6 have 95% attendance to everything: fitness training, video training, skills, practices, games, etc. Same ones always there.

Other 10? Some don't go to practice if it's too early; if scrimmages are too far; if it's cold, etc. If that's what you want...that's perfectly fine. There's plenty of opportunities for that. But, for supposedly higher (not highest) level of play, we are disappointed.

Not coincidentally, 3 of those 10 get limited minutes yet complain the most about it.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....
        6 kids are not a soccer team. Blame the game not the players. if the sport had not been monetized to the max at the competitive levels, maybe you could find 16 super committed players. When you have small pool of only middle and upper middle players to choose from you cant be so choosy. Be grateful you have 16 players that can afford it period.

Comment

6 kids are not a soccer team. Blame the game not the players. if the sport had not been monetized to the max at the competitive levels, maybe you could find 16 super committed players. When you have small pool of only middle and upper middle players to choose from you cant be so choosy. Be grateful you have 16 players that can afford it period.
          Excuses. Either you want to be there, or you don't.

It's fine if you don't, but don't drop $2k+, take a roster spot, then roll-over when the alarm kicks at 5:00 because you (or your kid) wants to sleep.

Comment

Excuses. Either you want to be there, or you don't.

It's fine if you don't, but don't drop $2k+, take a roster spot, then roll-over when the alarm kicks at 5:00 because you (or your kid) wants to sleep.
            Good luck. If those players you want were so easy to find, all our teams would be full of them. You can charge thousands or be choosy. If you try to be both you might have to settle for small sided soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X