Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tryout Season

If your child is at a current club (very competitive) and reasonably happy do you have him/her tryout for other teams as backup plans in case anything at the current team changes?

For example, if kid is currently an A team starter (U11) and likes the team do you still look at other clubs or do you just stay put? Seems like the clubs love to have ID sessions and bring in new kids to practices but if they find out your kid went to something similar for another team they flip their lids.

How does everyone handle?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If your child is at a current club (very competitive) and reasonably happy do you have him/her tryout for other teams as backup plans in case anything at the current team changes?

For example, if kid is currently an A team starter (U11) and likes the team do you still look at other clubs or do you just stay put? Seems like the clubs love to have ID sessions and bring in new kids to practices but if they find out your kid went to something similar for another team they flip their lids.

How does everyone handle?
    Always a good idea to have backup plans and now is the time to do it, not at tryout time. Things can change in a heartbeat. Teams often implode at tryout time - word gets out that a few are leaving or even just looking to leave and it can start a mass exodus. Also, your player might find an even better fit elsewhere . No harm in looking but make sure to do your homework before deciding (coaches, club stability, are current parents happy ).

Comment

The grass isn't always greener, but you'll never know unless you go have a look.

Comment

The grass isn't always greener, but you'll never know unless you go have a look.
        turf is always green fstick

Comment

Definitely do not want to leave the club, just want a backup in case they decide to go in a different direction as far as my child's position on the team. My understanding is that they pool everyone at tryout. I am not sure they give much of a heads up as to whether an A team kid should be back on the A team or if a B teamer has a real chance to move up. For me, the club is very expensive and I just dont see paying so much to be on the B team and dont want to be left w/o an option, if that makes sense.

Certainly priority would be make the top team again and stay in the club.

Comment

Thanks fwad. I played on blue turf before out in Idaho.

Besides, I didn't say "not green", I said "greener", meaning there are a few different shades of green out there. Some get aged and weathered, and they are more of a faded grey-green. Some are just laid, and are a bright green. So, in effect, that would be "greener".

Keep up, numbnuts

Comment

Definitely do not want to leave the club, just want a backup in case they decide to go in a different direction as far as my child's position on the team. My understanding is that they pool everyone at tryout. I am not sure they give much of a heads up as to whether an A team kid should be back on the A team or if a B teamer has a real chance to move up. For me, the club is very expensive and I just dont see paying so much to be on the B team and dont want to be left w/o an option, if that makes sense.

Certainly priority would be make the top team again and stay in the club.
              While I understand your sentiment, if the abilities dictate playing on the B team, then that's not a reason to run. There's plenty of time to make it again next year or the following. My D was a B teamer for 3 years before making an A team. Which then became an NPL team and eventually an ECNL team.

But, I would definitely look at another club or two just to see what is out there.

Comment

Sometimes one must think before one types.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=blue...Gd2C_QiGAJvTM:

Comment

Sometimes one must think before one types.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=blue...Gd2C_QiGAJvTM:
                  thanks for proving a point hairyballbaglicker, none of these are soccer. what a tool bag sack your are

Comment

Thanks fwad. I played on blue turf before out in Idaho.

Besides, I didn't say "not green", I said "greener", meaning there are a few different shades of green out there. Some get aged and weathered, and they are more of a faded grey-green. Some are just laid, and are a bright green. So, in effect, that would be "greener".

Keep up, numbnuts
                    if I colored my ballsack hair blue, would that make it taste better for you? I hate it when you choke when you do reach my greener pasture

Comment

While I understand your sentiment, if the abilities dictate playing on the B team, then that's not a reason to run. There's plenty of time to make it again next year or the following. My D was a B teamer for 3 years before making an A team. Which then became an NPL team and eventually an ECNL team.

But, I would definitely look at another club or two just to see what is out there.
                      If you think your kid is at risk of being demoted, of course look around, but agree with above poster that sometimes that's not always the best path. Plus, club jumping makes it harder to come back to your current club if your kid wants to.

Again, this really only affects bottom 3rd of team. If your kid is top 2/3 then you probably aren't thinking about back up plans.

Comment

OP here - i don't believe kid at risk of being demoted, although this is our first year in a big club. Really just wondering is it normal for people to try out at multiple teams, etc or do you normally just stick with your club until you're really looking to leave.

Comment

OP here - i don't believe kid at risk of being demoted, although this is our first year in a big club. Really just wondering is it normal for people to try out at multiple teams, etc or do you normally just stick with your club until you're really looking to leave.
                          Always have a plan B just in case. Things happen. If wind up not needing it that's great. If you do then you're not rushing trying to find another club, possibly picking something worse

Comment

thanks for proving a point hairyballbaglicker, none of these are soccer. what a tool bag sack your are

The claim was all turf fields are green. Not true.

And sad to say, some of these fields in that link are used for soccer as well. The joy of college ball, eh?

It's always those guys who lack the maturity to be told they are wrong that respond by name calling.

Comment

The claim was all turf fields are green. Not true.

And sad to say, some of these fields in that link are used for soccer as well. The joy of college ball, eh?

It's always those guys who lack the maturity to be told they are wrong that respond by name calling.
                              Thanks for clarifying you dumfukcoklick

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X