Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Post like this confuse people. Obviously you don't know about soccer. Fusa/Ole is a town travel program and they also have the premier option but NOT in every age group. Rush, Pythons, Revolution, Shoreline, etc are all PREMIER programs and do not have the TOWN Travel option. There is a big difference here... I will suggest Revolution, their coaches are the best around. Rush would be the second option. Everton has A, B, C, D, E teams in the same age group.... which means they take ANY prayer... so I am sure if you just call them, they put you in for the A team, for free.. because the B, C, D and E parent will pay for you....
    My take/experience

Top Group (not in any order): Everton A teams, BS, Revolution (but only some teams, others are weak), FSA A teams (boys only), AC CT
    2nd Place: The others above plus some town "premier" programs (eg. FUSA has a decent one). But they all have more variability across teams/ages
    3rd place; travel and remaining low level premier clubs

To the OP: If the you're coming from a well run DA program you/your son are not going to be happy with 2nd and 3rd place options. CT is a small state (3M pop) with fewer good club options and talent vs the metro Chicago area (population 9.5M city + burbs). Stick with the first group or light your cash on fire. Your choice. Get an Easy Pass to make getting to games in NJ and NY easier.

Comment

My take/experience

Top Group (not in any order): Everton A teams, BS, Revolution (but only some teams, others are weak), FSA A teams (boys only), AC CT
      2nd Place: The others above plus some town "premier" programs (eg. FUSA has a decent one). But they all have more variability across teams/ages
      3rd place; travel and remaining low level premier clubs

To the OP: If the you're coming from a well run DA program you/your son are not going to be happy with 2nd and 3rd place options. CT is a small state (3M pop) with fewer good club options and talent vs the metro Chicago area (population 9.5M city + burbs). Stick with the first group or light your cash on fire. Your choice. Get an Easy Pass to make getting to games in NJ and NY easier.
      FSA isn't an option for Fairfield County.

Comment

FSA isn't an option for Fairfield County.
        For most no, but some in FC do make the trek. I'd never do it for their girls teams even if closer.

Comment

Ok. So, after half a day of posts do you see my point. For the rest of the spring, dont pay a nickel. Take your son to two practices at each of these clubs and make an informed decision. None of the ones in Ct will have the talent of sockers or train with their intensity. Make sure to visit nycfc and red bulls too. You will also get a feel for which commutes are bearable or not. There are no supplemental programs around that will come close to what you and your son should now expect.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Some very helpful thoughts. I must admit because we ended up with Sockers practically by accident the process of picking a club is so strange to us. It also seemed like in Chicago the differences between premier and travel were clearer.

I do have a followup. Someone mentioned PDP. Is that the same as ODP? I googled CT PDP and didn't find much. In Chi we had ODP and while they did have some training sessions my son attended, it didn't really start till u14. We also found ODP to be hit or miss. One session was amazing and had the US u19 coach running practice. Kids had an incredible experience. Another session was a disorganized mess that really turned my son off.

Comment

I do have a followup. Someone mentioned PDP. Is that the same as ODP? I googled CT PDP and didn't find much. In Chi we had ODP and while they did have some training sessions my son attended, it didn't really start till u14. We also found ODP to be hit or miss. One session was amazing and had the US u19 coach running practice. Kids had an incredible experience. Another session was a disorganized mess that really turned my son off.
              In CT, ODP is more miss than hit.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Some very helpful thoughts. I must admit because we ended up with Sockers practically by accident the process of picking a club is so strange to us. It also seemed like in Chicago the differences between premier and travel were clearer.

ODP in CT is largely a waste of time. At your son's age it's marginally beneficial (and they only practice i think once a month here now?) but by U14 it's all but dead as most of the top players are in DA or ECNL. PDP is different, run through US Club Soccer and here it's run through NYCSL. It's a much better supplemental training and ID program. the guy in charge here is John Curtis - former ManU player and ran Everton CT and FC Westchester for awhile.

https://www.nyclubsoccerleague.com/html/pdp/default.asp

Comment

I had a girl in ODP for a couple of years. It is very poorly administered. Our last year, we had one practice every two months and played against other ODPs some of which practiced weekly. We never knew which coach was going to show up, coaches never got to know the girls, and, even better, "tryouts" weren't selective. They either took everybody or took the kids who were known (including mine).

But, if your kid is interested, has a pulse, and you have money to burn, go here for more info.: http://www.cjsa.org/odp/odpypdp_practices .

Comment

ODP in CT is largely a waste of time. At your son's age it's marginally beneficial (and they only practice i think once a month here now?) but by U14 it's all but dead as most of the top players are in DA or ECNL. PDP is different, run through US Club Soccer and here it's run through NYCSL. It's a much better supplemental training and ID program. the guy in charge here is John Curtis - former ManU player and ran Everton CT and FC Westchester for awhile.

https://www.nyclubsoccerleague.com/html/pdp/default.asp
                    correction.. The PDP program practices once a week at 16-18 different location throughout NY, NJ, LI & CT. within those groups kids are selected to participate in a monthly showcase and or tournament at each age group. within these groups a few are selected to participate in a ID2P throughout the country. Starting this Fall the 05s will be evaluated for the ID2P program.. Note: Academy players are able to participate in the COE however they are forbidden by US soccer and club soccer to be part of the ID2 program. This is where you pick your poison. Take the academy route give-up high school and if not an elite player which each age group has only 2-3 then you lose out on other opportunities and a childhood life. or you play premier at lower lever competition training isn't as good but your child has a life and you can play high school. The PDP program supplements the training needed that is lost not playing academy. the decision was easy for me.

Comment

correction.. The PDP program practices once a week at 16-18 different location throughout NY, NJ, LI & CT. within those groups kids are selected to participate in a monthly showcase and or tournament at each age group. within these groups a few are selected to participate in a ID2P throughout the country. Starting this Fall the 05s will be evaluated for the ID2P program.. Note: Academy players are able to participate in the COE however they are forbidden by US soccer and club soccer to be part of the ID2 program. This is where you pick your poison. Take the academy route give-up high school and if not an elite player which each age group has only 2-3 then you lose out on other opportunities and a childhood life. or you play premier at lower lever competition training isn't as good but your child has a life and you can play high school. The PDP program supplements the training needed that is lost not playing academy. the decision was easy for me.
                      What are you correcting. Nothing you quoted about the ODP was incorrect.

Comment

What are you correcting. Nothing you quoted about the ODP was incorrect.
                        More like an addition.

Mine did COE and PDP. Great program, well run, good training. ODP is a joke not only from a coaching standpoint but the talent isn't there any longer. I think they're doing COE in the spring in a few CT locations and that might be an option for the OP. ODP doesn't even have their next tryouts until June

Comment

More like an addition.

Mine did COE and PDP. Great program, well run, good training. ODP is a joke not only from a coaching standpoint but the talent isn't there any longer. I think they're doing COE in the spring in a few CT locations and that might be an option for the OP. ODP doesn't even have their next tryouts until June
                          Yeah, and it's not really "tryouts" in the traditional sense of tryouts. It's more, show up and be on the team automatically.

Comment

Yeah, and it's not really "tryouts" in the traditional sense of tryouts. It's more, show up and be on the team automatically.
                            After you pay the tryout fee. The fact that they charge to tryout is you're first sign that something is amiss.

Comment

After you pay the tryout fee. The fact that they charge to tryout is you're first sign that something is amiss.
                              Yes. That p!ssed me off when I ran into it. Didn't go back after that.

Comment

Yes. That p!ssed me off when I ran into it. Didn't go back after that.
                                You did yourself a favor. By the time you pay the fees, camp etc it's a lot of money for very mediocre training. Better off using the $ for supplemental work with a quality coach or camps and clinics. ODP is still decent in some states that support it and put an effort into it. Here we have CJSA and that tells you all you need to know.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X