Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22 field players

On a HS aged team, is 22 field players plus two keepers about right or too many? I'm trying to figure out if absences are a real issue at this age or not. I would appreciate the input from someone with actual experience on an ECNL or NPL level team. In other words, can my call up kid expect any PT in a regular game or not? Trying to manage my expectations :)

Practices and improvement for HS. PT maybe none.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      On a HS aged team, is 22 field players plus two keepers about right or too many? I'm trying to figure out if absences are a real issue at this age or not. I would appreciate the input from someone with actual experience on an ECNL or NPL level team. In other words, can my call up kid expect any PT in a regular game or not? Trying to manage my expectations :)
      So your kid isn't a regular on the team? Also there can only be 18 on an ECNL game roster

If so don't expect a lot of PT unless thers a lot of absenteeism.

Comment

I would expect for this situation that both keepers and top 6-8 players will go to every league game which leaves 12-14 pool players to alternate games. PT is another question in league games entirely, but expect those top 6-8 players to play most of the game. If your kid is outside of that then you probably paid too much.

Comment

run to the hills.

Comment

My kid was a regular starter on a team that size. It was good for her but sucked for kids who weren't in the top 6 or 7.

Comment

My kid was a regular starter on a team that size. It was good for her but sucked for kids who weren't in the top 6 or 7.
              It is very much about where you fit in the hierarchy. Now in the HS ages there are a lot more injuries, and at certain ages there are a lot of missed games because of school visits, SATs etc. Twenty two would be the high end of my preferred range but can be fine. Anything more than that run away. Even if your kid is a starter it can get very ugly and frankly depressing when a group of kids never play

Comment

So your kid isn't a regular on the team? Also there can only be 18 on an ECNL game roster

If so don't expect a lot of PT unless thers a lot of absenteeism.
                No not a regular. She was called up from a lower level team. Absenteeism is my question. Do a lot of the regulars miss games for one reason or another or no?

Comment

No not a regular. She was called up from a lower level team. Absenteeism is my question. Do a lot of the regulars miss games for one reason or another or no?
                  Some ages are worse than others. SAT or ACT Saturdays are especially brutal. But "regularly" not having enough isn't that common unless a team is just unlucky with injuries.

Comment

be very careful with this for the sake of your daughter. My kid (son) was in a similar situation and it eroded his love of the game to a tremendous degree.

Comment

does she still have other opportunities with her other team? Meaning, if she doesn't get called up with this team, she can still play somewhere?

Comment

does she still have other opportunities with her other team? Meaning, if she doesn't get called up with this team, she can still play somewhere?
                        Yes. I think technically she’s a swing player

Comment

Yes. I think technically she’s a swing player
                          That'll work - it's the best of both worlds, train with A-team but still get to play in games with B-team. It's when they bring a kid up permanently to the A-team as a #15 to #22 that the kid suffers.

Comment

Your dough pays for that freebie up top

Comment

Your dough pays for that freebie up top
                              So far no one has asked me for any extra $. I have paid the lower team fee in full and am keeping my mouth shut. If for some reason my kid gets to PDA and gets field time for the $ I paid , I'm going to be a pretty happy camper.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X