Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Be careful! The almighty NLI and the 5k the comes worth it are something that set are kids apart from the masses. You see it here on TS where everyone is so put off by the signings that don't involve athletic money ...... Because all of our kids are so special and they earned something unique! 5k and a D2 NLI are just like another trophy for the loser. Get over yourselves. Have fun folks and be proud of your kids for getting 50% merit to a D3 and playing soccer! Tell everyone to suck it and get a life ..... Tell them to be nice as their kids resume might cross your kids desk some day and then that 5k and NLI won't matter a lick!
    Jealous that their kid wasn't good enough to get athletic money. So the parent posts this above.[/QUOTE]

Or, is it the other way around? Maybe your kid is too stupid to get into a good academic school?
    Better hope she is good enough to get a full ride, it's going to be hard to pay off those student loans with a career as a youth soccer coach!

Comment

Our daughter played D1, big program, and was among four players from instate that got no NLI-athletic money. They were all really good players. So let me share learnings: All else equal, the players that were brought in on a NLI-with scholarship money, got on the field, and they were paying more than our kids because of out-of-state tuition (so even 50 percent scholarship was more than our kids). Two of these NLI players were not great players at all, but we always joked that it is self-fulfilling for the coach...because they spent some of their budget, they play that player over others to prove the money was well spent. Kindof like paying a lot for a piece of clothing....you will wear it to justify the cost. And by nature of these players being on the field, they show better stats....eventually they get an assist or a goal if they play 24/7. So be careful....don't ever try to justify why your player is getting no money, and another is getting a scholarship...it does mean something. If you want to press it, ask the coach for a $500 annnual book allowance, on a NLI, and see what you get as a response....if they can't caugh up $500 and do the paper work, walk away. Or expect that your player will have a short college soccer career, so be sure they are at a school they want to be a student. If more players would demand a little money, then it would make a difference for the whole sport of womens soccer.

Comment

Our daughter played D1, big program, and was among four players from instate that got no NLI-athletic money. They were all really good players. So let me share learnings: All else equal, the players that were brought in on a NLI-with scholarship money, got on the field, and they were paying more than our kids because of out-of-state tuition (so even 50 percent scholarship was more than our kids). Two of these NLI players were not great players at all, but we always joked that it is self-fulfilling for the coach...because they spent some of their budget, they play that player over others to prove the money was well spent. Kindof like paying a lot for a piece of clothing....you will wear it to justify the cost. And by nature of these players being on the field, they show better stats....eventually they get an assist or a goal if they play 24/7. So be careful....don't ever try to justify why your player is getting no money, and another is getting a scholarship...it does mean something. If you want to press it, ask the coach for a $500 annnual book allowance, on a NLI, and see what you get as a response....if they can't caugh up $500 and do the paper work, walk away. Or expect that your player will have a short college soccer career, so be sure they are at a school they want to be a student. If more players would demand a little money, then it would make a difference for the whole sport of womens soccer.
        Thank you for such an insightful post. I will add this; imagine a head coach trying to justify to his AD or college president why the kid getting a big athletic scholarship is sitting behind a walk-on. Such a situation would reflect poorly on how that head coach manages their budget, scouts and evaluates talent and recruits. Of course the coach is going to play the kid they are investing their budget in. To think anything else is foolish.

Comment

If your expensive clothing was ugly, pretty sure you'd stop wearing it after the second or third time no matter how much it cost.

Comment

Jealous that their kid wasn't good enough to get athletic money. So the parent posts this above.
            No. So proud that my kid knows that the next level is about going to a great school and learning what she needs to in order to get to medical school. She made a choice (the absolute right choice for her) to put education ahead of soccer.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. So many soccer parents are crazy to put a game before academics. Feel for the kids whose parents don't know better.

Comment

No. So proud that my kid knows that the next level is about going to a great school and learning what she needs to in order to get to medical school. She made a choice (the absolute right choice for her) to put education ahead of soccer.
              Agree 100%. So many soccer parents are crazy to put a game before academics. Feel for the kids whose parents don't know better.[/QUOTE]

so who is doing that? Straw man argument-
              you can go to a good school, play soccer ,sign an NLI and still have a great experience. you can do none of those things and have a great experience

Comment

Agree 100%. So many soccer parents are crazy to put a game before academics. Feel for the kids whose parents don't know better.
                you can go to a good school, play soccer ,sign an NLI and still have a great experience. you can do none of those things and have a great experience[/QUOTE]

You definitely can, there is no doubt. Many do not though for sure. Even kids in my D's HS were chosen by soccer programs rather than choosing the schools that were right for them. One got a little athletic money (very little) and the other got pretty good money. Neither school seemed a good fit for the kid or their intended major, but they are going anyway. I can't help but wonder what happens what happens if (When) soccer doesn't work out for them? One kid can walk away as the soccer money was paltry, but the other kid got a good amount and will be held hostage for all 4 years, even if it doesn't work out. You can't say anything to them or their parents except 'congratulations', but I really do want to cross-examine them and hear their thought process regarding these choices.

Comment

you can go to a good school, play soccer ,sign an NLI and still have a great experience. you can do none of those things and have a great experience
                  You definitely can, there is no doubt. Many do not though for sure. Even kids in my D's HS were chosen by soccer programs rather than choosing the schools that were right for them. One got a little athletic money (very little) and the other got pretty good money. Neither school seemed a good fit for the kid or their intended major, but they are going anyway. I can't help but wonder what happens what happens if (When) soccer doesn't work out for them? One kid can walk away as the soccer money was paltry, but the other kid got a good amount and will be held hostage for all 4 years, even if it doesn't work out. You can't say anything to them or their parents except 'congratulations', but I really do want to cross-examine them and hear their thought process regarding these choices.[/QUOTE]

For many th money plays a vital role in the ability to pay for college. In a perfect world choices would be based first on academic fit with soccer second. But when it comes to higher ed nothing is even close to perfect, especially when it comes to cost. unless you make serious coin and don't have to worry about price tags affordability is important.

Of course transferring is always an option - students do it all the time - but it's very possible you'll lose your deal in the process

Comment

I know a parent that's paying 60k a year..more with flights outta state and putting change in the kids pocket (75K) all that and the kid touched the field enough minutes to make a good half of a game.

Fools

Comment

You definitely can, there is no doubt. Many do not though for sure. Even kids in my D's HS were chosen by soccer programs rather than choosing the schools that were right for them. One got a little athletic money (very little) and the other got pretty good money. Neither school seemed a good fit for the kid or their intended major, but they are going anyway. I can't help but wonder what happens what happens if (When) soccer doesn't work out for them? One kid can walk away as the soccer money was paltry, but the other kid got a good amount and will be held hostage for all 4 years, even if it doesn't work out. You can't say anything to them or their parents except 'congratulations', but I really do want to cross-examine them and hear their thought process regarding these choices.[/QUOTE]

Who do you think you are? Who are you to question their choices? Cross examine your life
                      Be happy for them or dont- they dont care
                      What arrogance!!!!

Comment

Who do you think you are? Who are you to question their choices? Cross examine your life
                        Be happy for them or dont- they dont care
                        What arrogance!!!!
                        Sounds like you must have made some bad choices for your kids too. Sorry, I call them like I see them and I can not validate your bad choice.

Comment

Sounds like you must have made some bad choices for your kids too. Sorry, I call them like I see them and I can not validate your bad choice.
                          No surprise that you made that leap- being wrong for you seems to come easy
                          *** died and left you in charge of other peoples choices- you dont have to agree, but your opinion on someone elses college choice is meaningless. Maybe youre just not as happy as they are with their choice

Comment

No surprise that you made that leap- being wrong for you seems to come easy
                            *** died and left you in charge of other peoples choices- you dont have to agree, but your opinion on someone elses college choice is meaningless. Maybe youre just not as happy as they are with their choice
                            I am neither happy or unhappy with their choice. it is their choice ... just surprised.

Comment

I am neither happy or unhappy with their choice. it is their choice ... just surprised.
                              for someone who now appears to "Not give a shot" you certainly spent a lot of time dissecting it
                              and letting everyone know your displeasure

Comment

for someone who now appears to "Not give a shot" you certainly spent a lot of time dissecting it
                                and letting everyone know your displeasure
                                Actually, you seem to be the poster who won't let it go. That annoying a-hole that talks over everybody and thinks the last poster wins. You have a self implied arrogance that makes me believe that nobody wants to be near you on the sidelines because you just won't shut up about things you know nothing about. But you're loud and you speak last so you think you do.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X