Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Florida Girls - ECNL Substitute?

So...we are approaching tryout season. I estimate it to be 4-6 weeks out for US Soccer Clubs. FYSA clubs will start around the new April 1 date or soon thereafter. We know that the GDA will make its debut for 2017-2018. Seeing that only 2 clubs offer GDA in south florida and those 2 clubs will also be dropping (rumored) their ECNL teams, it will create a big vacuum for a lot of players, regardless of their perceived skill level. Assuming that the GDA will roster about 25 players in a combined age, not all of the ECNL players at these clubs will be picked. Additionally, there are multiple players that do not want to sacrifice high school athletics, plus the huge travel commitment. Finances are also a consideration for this new non-subsidized league.

What will be the next best tier in south florida under GDA? US Club has NPL. FYSA has FPSL. I've spoken with both Weston and Boca United. From the people I got to in their respective offices, both said that an announcement would be made soon. I contacted Sunrise, Team Boca, Wellington, and Boynton. These 4 clubs pointed me to their websites. No planned changes as far as could be seen, yet. What are you hearing on the sidelines? What are the unofficial plans that are being bounced around? Anyone know yet?

This is not a troll post, but a legitimate attempt to have a decent conversation on talking-soccer.

Ready...? Go.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So...we are approaching tryout season. I estimate it to be 4-6 weeks out for US Soccer Clubs. FYSA clubs will start around the new April 1 date or soon thereafter. We know that the GDA will make its debut for 2017-2018. Seeing that only 2 clubs offer GDA in south florida and those 2 clubs will also be dropping (rumored) their ECNL teams, it will create a big vacuum for a lot of players, regardless of their perceived skill level. Assuming that the GDA will roster about 25 players in a combined age, not all of the ECNL players at these clubs will be picked. Additionally, there are multiple players that do not want to sacrifice high school athletics, plus the huge travel commitment. Finances are also a consideration for this new non-subsidized league.

What will be the next best tier in south florida under GDA? US Club has NPL. FYSA has FPSL. I've spoken with both Weston and Boca United. From the people I got to in their respective offices, both said that an announcement would be made soon. I contacted Sunrise, Team Boca, Wellington, and Boynton. These 4 clubs pointed me to their websites. No planned changes as far as could be seen, yet. What are you hearing on the sidelines? What are the unofficial plans that are being bounced around? Anyone know yet?

This is not a troll post, but a legitimate attempt to have a decent conversation on talking-soccer.

Ready...? Go.
    Take the girls who do not make DA and the girls from your second team last year and have them play in the FPL-NPL. See how they do.

Comment

What if more girls want to play high school and NPL? Can we ditch DA and earn back ECNL if our NPL teams are tops?

Comment

Take the girls who do not make DA and the girls from your second team last year and have them play in the FPL-NPL. See how they do.
        That is one option.

FPL-NPL will be either Weston or Boca United. They have FPL teams at some ages, but not all. I know that Boca United has a combined age group playing at both U14 and U16. Weston is similar.

Does anyone know if there are plans to expand the FPL teams at these clubs? Or are they going all-in with the GDA only and saying goodbye to the unpicked ECNL players?

Comment

What if more girls want to play high school and NPL? Can we ditch DA and earn back ECNL if our NPL teams are tops?
          Good question. I believe that is a combined choice between US Club and the actual soccer club (Weston or BU). From a resources point of view, I don't believe that either club could field that many players for ECNL and GDA. FPL-NPL is a regional league. Travel is predominantly in Florida, as opposed to the whole se USA for ECNL.

Going on with your question, an option that could be achieved would be a combined ECNL team from partnering clubs. That is what some teams in Jacksonville are doing. Neither can field enough players for a competitive team, so they took a little from each club and made one hybrid. That allows them to have a GDA and ECNL option for the players. Weston-Sunrise would be a great combo, as would Boca United-Team Boca-Wellington. But it would be easier asking for ice water in hell before that happens. Too many egos/individual profit centers in south florida clubs or that would have already happened, in my opinion.

Comment

Good question. I believe that is a combined choice between US Club and the actual soccer club (Weston or BU). From a resources point of view, I don't believe that either club could field that many players for ECNL and GDA. FPL-NPL is a regional league. Travel is predominantly in Florida, as opposed to the whole se USA for ECNL.

Going on with your question, an option that could be achieved would be a combined ECNL team from partnering clubs. That is what some teams in Jacksonville are doing. Neither can field enough players for a competitive team, so they took a little from each club and made one hybrid. That allows them to have a GDA and ECNL option for the players. Weston-Sunrise would be a great combo, as would Boca United-Team Boca-Wellington. But it would be easier asking for ice water in hell before that happens. Too many egos/individual profit centers in south florida clubs or that would have already happened, in my opinion.
            Hybrids can involve a lot of lawyers drawing up contracts in case things change or don't work out , like if Armada doesn't like the way Clay is running the money for United Soccer Alliance.

Comment

US Club will make just as much money off the clubs who register their players in NPL as they once had their top players paying for ENCL patches. DA is the new EcNL and nothing is stopping it from being so.

Comment

US Club will make just as much money off the clubs who register their players in NPL as they once had their top players paying for ENCL patches. DA is the new EcNL and nothing is stopping it from being so.
                Let's stay on topic. No club is doing this for love. It is not a charity. Coaches and fields cost dollars. They are all in it for the money. We can skip right over that.

As stated very clearly in the first post, the GDA is fully acknowledged as the new top tier. The question was about the expansion of age group teams at the NPL and/or FSPL level for those ECNL players not joining the GDA. What are you hearing on the sidelines?

My initial inclination is that more playing slots will be available at the NPL level. Looking at the clubs in Broward and Palm Beach, those teams that are in the FSPL league already have a full roster. The availability of open positions for new players to join will be very low.

Comment

It depends on the level of your child. If she's a great player then she shouldn't waster her time at Weston or Boca NPL. Sunrise is the top option for elite players, especially those that still want to play high school ball.

Comment

It depends on the level of your child. If she's a great player then she shouldn't waster her time at Weston or Boca NPL. Sunrise is the top option for elite players, especially those that still want to play high school ball.
                    The chances of a new player being chosen for an already established team is very low. Yes, if they are a rock star or on a national team, the options are endless. We're talking about good, technical players that want to keep playing at a high level.

Sunrise fields one team at each age group. The rosters are full. Maybe 1-2 leave for whatever reason next year, but that is not meeting the expected demand. Not counting any new players that were looking at trying out for an ECNL team, you will have 12-14 former ECNL girls at each age group looking for a spot. They either did not get chosen for the GDA or want to play high school.

You recommend Sunrise, but is Sunrise planning to add more teams to each age group in anticipation of these new players being available? Is any club in south florida?

Comment

Least we not forget that just because a girl was playing ECNL at Boca or Weston did it mean they were an elite player. Those that make DA will be the rock stars who don't mind not playing in high school. DA is the new eliter ECNL with the national team potentials. Are there any clubs who have teams playing in National or Southern Region leagues?

Comment

Least we not forget that just because a girl was playing ECNL at Boca or Weston did it mean they were an elite player. Those that make DA will be the rock stars who don't mind not playing in high school. DA is the new eliter ECNL with the national team potentials. Are there any clubs who have teams playing in National or Southern Region leagues?
                        "Eliter....".

Omg.

Comment

They play ECNL and want to continue at that equivalent level. GDA may not be an option for many of them. Absolutely no reason to bash the players' perceived abilities. That is a completely separate topic that has been analyzed endlessly in other threads. We are discussing the possible relocations of these players to FYSA teams that may be expanding their age groups at the FSPL level. Or does anyone know if Weston and Boca United will be expanding their ages for the NPL?

For your questions, Sunrise U17 plays in R3PL. That team has a full roster. There are no south florida teams in the national league.

Comment

"Eliter....".

Omg.
                            And it should be "lest we forget" not "least."

Grammar police out!

Comment

For your questions, Sunrise U17 plays in R3PL. That team has a full roster.
                              Sunrise has 5 different age groups in R3PL this season.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X