Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sometimes you have to make a choice if you afford one showcase over another. It's not that hard to conceive if you can only afford a certain cost per year.
    Obviously even when fully scholarshiped there are other expenses involved with high level club soccer. Clubs and parents try to help where they can, coordinating players traveling with other families etc.but families need to be comfortable with that arrangement. It's one thing if you know another family really well and trust them with your kids, but you may not always have that, are new to the club etc. When I managed a younger team and had to deal with the hotel bookings often times we got a free room because we booked X number of rooms. That room always went to a family on scholarship who also brought another scholarship kid with them (the families were friends). Not sure if they still do that with group bookings, it was awhile ago? But a longer event, further away has multiple hotel nights, food, car rental and airfare. Do that for 2-3 events? Out of reach for many.

As for soccer being a heavily white sport? It's all intertwined with race and income in this country. In general - note the word "general" - lower income households have a higher % households of color as well as single parent households. I think popularity also plays a role; soccer isn't that popular with African Americans, much more so with Hispanics.
    There are plenty of white families that can't afford club soccer either. The costs have gotten ridiculous and it's not wonder participation keeps falling.

Comment

Obviously even when fully scholarshiped there are other expenses involved with high level club soccer. Clubs and parents try to help where they can, coordinating players traveling with other families etc.but families need to be comfortable with that arrangement. It's one thing if you know another family really well and trust them with your kids, but you may not always have that, are new to the club etc. When I managed a younger team and had to deal with the hotel bookings often times we got a free room because we booked X number of rooms. That room always went to a family on scholarship who also brought another scholarship kid with them (the families were friends). Not sure if they still do that with group bookings, it was awhile ago? But a longer event, further away has multiple hotel nights, food, car rental and airfare. Do that for 2-3 events? Out of reach for many.

As for soccer being a heavily white sport? It's all intertwined with race and income in this country. In general - note the word "general" - lower income households have a higher % households of color as well as single parent households. I think popularity also plays a role; soccer isn't that popular with African Americans, much more so with Hispanics.
      There are plenty of white families that can't afford club soccer either. The costs have gotten ridiculous and it's not wonder participation keeps falling.
      My daughter’s team is 100% white and virtually every team we’ve played (lots of academies, but won’t name them so they won’t be bashed) are too. That’s the reality of the sport today, although may be different/more diverse on the boys side.

Comment

My daughter’s team is 100% white and virtually every team we’ve played (lots of academies, but won’t name them so they won’t be bashed) are too. That’s the reality of the sport today, although may be different/more diverse on the boys side.
        On the boys side some MLS academies are free and pay for the kids travel expenses.

Comment

And seriously this is why the US men really ain’t that great at soccer. African Americans are superior athletes if they don’t participate we won’t be that good..lm sure I will be panned for this but the truth hurts.

Comment

And seriously this is why the US men really ain’t that great at soccer. African Americans are superior athletes if they don’t participate we won’t be that good..lm sure I will be panned for this but the truth hurts.
            The ladies side (going all the way down to youth football) is highly skewed to affluent whites. Most teams are virtually all white, very little diversity and no opportunity for minorities. If the USWNT want to do something to help the gave they should help minorities as elitist leagues like ECNL, GA etc are not affordable. Too much travel.

Comment

The ladies side (going all the way down to youth football) is highly skewed to affluent whites. Most teams are virtually all white, very little diversity and no opportunity for minorities. If the USWNT want to do something to help the gave they should help minorities as elitist leagues like ECNL, GA etc are not affordable. Too much travel.
              Why should the USWNT care? After all, it was their lawsuit that helped (amongst other reasons) that USSoccer dropped DA.

Comment

Why should the USWNT care? After all, it was their lawsuit that helped (amongst other reasons) that USSoccer dropped DA.
                Saying that the lawsuit caused the demise isn't entirely correct. The fact that MLS youth academies wanted their own league instead of DA would be more of a direct link. They also couldn't force the best clubs into GDA, which was becoming a 2nd tier league to ECNL. With the increased GDA players on the YNT instead of ECNL and the losses (0 teams made it out of groups last YWC) that pilled up looked bad. They couldn't call themselves the top and then use mostly ECNL players as it would make the league itself look bad. They couldn't pull the plug on GDA while keeping BDA and MLS wanted out anyway. Problem solved.

Nothing will come from that lawsuit as the WNT had just opened it and then voted yes to it just a few years earlier. The very same people (nearing the end of their careers) that are working on doing the same thing now and claiming prejudices to get more money. It isn't going to fly in court and is more of a headline grabber to illicit support. The women were offered the same pay structure and denied it instead opting for more perks and guaranteed higher salaries for playing in NWSL. They are also trying to make US Soccer pay the difference in the money paid by FIFA for the WC as women's side splits are far lower due to a lower intake of money overall.

Comment

Saying that the lawsuit caused the demise isn't entirely correct. The fact that MLS youth academies wanted their own league instead of DA would be more of a direct link. They also couldn't force the best clubs into GDA, which was becoming a 2nd tier league to ECNL. With the increased GDA players on the YNT instead of ECNL and the losses (0 teams made it out of groups last YWC) that pilled up looked bad. They couldn't call themselves the top and then use mostly ECNL players as it would make the league itself look bad. They couldn't pull the plug on GDA while keeping BDA and MLS wanted out anyway. Problem solved.

Nothing will come from that lawsuit as the WNT had just opened it and then voted yes to it just a few years earlier. The very same people (nearing the end of their careers) that are working on doing the same thing now and claiming prejudices to get more money. It isn't going to fly in court and is more of a headline grabber to illicit support. The women were offered the same pay structure and denied it instead opting for more perks and guaranteed higher salaries for playing in NWSL. They are also trying to make US Soccer pay the difference in the money paid by FIFA for the WC as women's side splits are far lower due to a lower intake of money overall.
                  I said "helped", and yes, they have been very forthcoming that the nervousness of the lawsuit was a factor in terminating the league.

Comment

Soccer isn't very popular with them. It's not just affordability but what kids want to play, watch on TV with friends and family. It's rarely soccer.

Comment

Always negotiate remember that the risk is always with the player. It becomes more apparent when the child is injured, he is forgotten, and you are left with the recovery treatments, and the bills associated with it. Many kids who get a serious injury rarely recover fully and get eventually demoted.

Comment

Always negotiate remember that the risk is always with the player. It becomes more apparent when the child is injured, he is forgotten, and you are left with the recovery treatments, and the bills associated with it. Many kids who get a serious injury rarely recover fully and get eventually demoted.
                        Many clubs offer heavy discounts, to attract and keep players. If you don’t ask/negotiate you’re a fool. I know for a fact my daughters team has a handful of players that are paying peanuts while others that have been there for years are paying 3k.

Comment

Many clubs offer heavy discounts, to attract and keep players. If you don’t ask/negotiate you’re a fool. I know for a fact my daughters team has a handful of players that are paying peanuts while others that have been there for years are paying 3k.
                          what age group?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X