Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Crossover. The act of crossing state lines during a pandemic. I’m not sure if that’s what the poster meant but that is how I understood it.
    I don't see any pattern in these divisions that makes it look like that was really a consideration. I think this season is being planned as if there are going to be minimal travel restrictions. If there's any kind of pattern that I see in some divisions, it looks like they put all MA teams together and then RI and CT together. Possibly because MA was so jacked up with their restrictions in the fall. Recall RI teams were playing in CT for a while in the fall.

Comment

One of the best things about it is promotion/relegation by team, not by club. It's how it should be done.
      Except EDP won't let a lot of town premier teamsin the league, town premier teams that routinely beat EDP in the old CCSL league. So there is no true promotion and relegation by team.

Comment

I don't see any pattern in these divisions that makes it look like that was really a consideration. I think this season is being planned as if there are going to be minimal travel restrictions. If there's any kind of pattern that I see in some divisions, it looks like they put all MA teams together and then RI and CT together. Possibly because MA was so jacked up with their restrictions in the fall. Recall RI teams were playing in CT for a while in the fall.
        Yeah- MA and RI were supposed to be together (with a few exceptions, ie Pioneers in the NECSL Stateline Div at the younger ages), but MA could only play in-state and with their restrictions. RI could not play games in their own state, but could freely leave to play, so they all played road games- Surf mostly came here, Juve mostly went to MA. Looks like they are keeping that format for the Spring.

Comment

Yeah- MA and RI were supposed to be together (with a few exceptions, ie Pioneers in the NECSL Stateline Div at the younger ages), but MA could only play in-state and with their restrictions. RI could not play games in their own state, but could freely leave to play, so they all played road games- Surf mostly came here, Juve mostly went to MA. Looks like they are keeping that format for the Spring.
          Border crossing should be allowed by late April when the actual games would start.

Comment

My guess is they decided to split New England into North and South due to the pandemic screwing up the fall. After all, it's hard to really tell how good teams are if they aren't actually playing each other. Wouldn't be surprised if fall '21 is just one New England conference, with the weaker teams left behind and more travel for the rest.
            This is the explanation we received from EDP. Seems reasonable and rational to me.

The US Youth Soccer National League is a merit based platform and EDP, as managers of four National League Conferences, looks to identify the very best teams to contribute to a highly competitive experience.

We have reached February with no definitive timelines for the various interstate travel advisories that exist in Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts. What we do know, through conversations with the State Associations, is that the topic of interstate travel is not likely to be revisited until at least March 1st. I've actually heard some rumors over the weekend that it could be April before we see travel restrictions relaxed.

With there being no clear picture of what the Spring season will look like, we have prioritized all teams getting a guaranteed season. To do this we have split the New England Conference of the National League into North & South brackets. All teams can now plan for 4-5 weeks of games while hoping that we can cross the borders by mid-season.

If travel restrictions are lifted at any stage, we can create New England Conference Premier I & Premier II brackets based on each teams' record and competition history. This would guarantee the most meaningful matches on a weekly basis that would allow us to identify the best Conference team at every age group, sending them off to the US Youth Soccer Eastern Regional Championships event at the end of the season. We are prepared to make this adjustment as soon as it is possible, even if that means doing so mid-season.

I hope all of the above makes sense. It's not the ideal balance of competition and travel that we typically strive for but, as we've all found out over the past year, we have to reimagine and evolve the program offering in an ever-changing landscape.

Comment

Except EDP won't let a lot of town premier teamsin the league, town premier teams that routinely beat EDP in the old CCSL league. So there is no true promotion and relegation by team.
              That is actually a good thing. While it leaves a few good teams out of the mix, it creates an environment where the premier clubs want to stay. If town is allowed in the premier clubs will just go off and make another league. EDP is doing it in a way that keeps the majority of CT teams in one place which gives us the competition we need.

Comment

Crossover. The act of crossing state lines during a pandemic. I’m not sure if that’s what the poster meant but that is how I understood it.
                That's not what "crossover" means. Not in the context of scheduling games, at least.

Comment

Not accurate. Town programs that qualify through league expectations are allowed. The club has to demonstrate they meet the qualifications like: Having a DOC, having multiple boys and girls teams, access to facilities. As long as the requirements are satisfied they are admitted. They do not allow one off, renegade teams coached by a parent.

Comment

Not accurate. Town programs that qualify through league expectations are allowed. The club has to demonstrate they meet the qualifications like: Having a DOC, having multiple boys and girls teams, access to facilities. As long as the requirements are satisfied they are admitted. They do not allow one off, renegade teams coached by a parent.
                    So a town program would have to hire a DOC and his buddies to coach, thus having to pass on the cost to the parents which ultimately prices out working poor and working class families....just what soccer in this country needs , more elitism.

Forcing a club to field multiple teams at multiple ages , doesnt equate to better competition or professionalism, it usually just waters it down with teams made up of kids who are really travel level players.

And do you seriously think their are no parent coaches at the big clubs or their branch teams?

Comment

So a town program would have to hire a DOC and his buddies to coach, thus having to pass on the cost to the parents which ultimately prices out working poor and working class families....just what soccer in this country needs , more elitism.

Forcing a club to field multiple teams at multiple ages , doesnt equate to better competition or professionalism, it usually just waters it down with teams made up of kids who are really travel level players.

And do you seriously think their are no parent coaches at the big clubs or their branch teams?
                      Of course there are. This approach just prevents Daddy coaches from taking the one team they coach and entering into a Premier program. If you want to do that then there is a place for you. If, instead, you decide to go with a club then you have that pathway. EDP has a very good platform and are being stringent with who they admit. To some that may be elitism to others it’s just competition.

Comment

Of course there are. This approach just prevents Daddy coaches from taking the one team they coach and entering into a Premier program. If you want to do that then there is a place for you. If, instead, you decide to go with a club then you have that pathway. EDP has a very good platform and are being stringent with who they admit. To some that may be elitism to others it’s just competition.
                        Perhaps you need to find a Websters and look up the definition of competition

Comment

edp

EDP New England Conference (top edp division) was set up to have an A and a B divisions. Covid chaged that. They are doing a more regional set up for this year with no one travelling out of state for the early part of the season. That was how they explained their covid plan.

I have seen EDP conference for a few years. The better teams would have no problem competing with middle of the road ECNL teams. Very similar. The top part of ecnl is better for sure. More depth to those teams.

CT 2006 is even more of a level playing field than most years.

Comment

Perhaps you need to find a Websters and look up the definition of competition
                            Not really, the EDP platform is solid and keeps improving. I think most people will agree that top to bottom ECNL League is tops for girls and MLS Next is tops for boys. After that I believe EDP can lay claim to being the best platform. That includes ECNL Boys and GAL for Girls. Also includes the DPL (absolute side show) and all NPL Leagues (US club is dying outside of ECNL). With the collapse of DPL several clubs will be migrating to EDP now. This new league being created in MA, Impact League, will be as bad as NEP. EDP has slowly built up an incredible platform with promotion and relegation. Their top league, USYS National, is extremely competitive. They may not have the depth of ECNL Girls and MLS Next Boys but they are not far off and their top teams can compete at that level. So the message should be clear, if you are not ECNL Girls or MLS Boys then go to the EDP for the best competition anywhere in the Northeast.

Comment

With Juventus, Seacoast and Surf joining DPL, what is left in EDP?

Comment

With Juventus, Seacoast and Surf joining DPL, what is left in EDP?
                                Their A teams?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X