Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LK commits to Stanford

Wow, good for her, must be a hell of a player. Big time soccer! I'm not her dad btw, just happy to see a kid from our area head to one of the best programs in the country. I'm sure the haters will hate, but to sign this early it's hard to debate her talent.

She is definitely a home grown CT who should be celebrated. Congratulations on showing that talented kids from CT can move from club to club and (if talented enough) have the opportunity to receive national exposure. Verbal commit to Stanford (top tier D1) as a junior is impressive.

Definitely will be following her career at Stanford and beyond!

Comment

Not sure who LK is, but I am curious about how a school so far away would offer something. Clearly he/she has excellent grades, but I have to believe there was a national-level tourney appearance or an appearance at a west coast showcase. Anyone know? Just curious how stuff works for those with the skills.

I personally do not think soccer scholarships will be around for my kids to enjoy in ten year because the pathway seems to be changing and college sport directors are becoming very cheap outside of basketball and football.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Not sure who LK is, but I am curious about how a school so far away would offer something. Clearly he/she has excellent grades, but I have to believe there was a national-level tourney appearance or an appearance at a west coast showcase. Anyone know? Just curious how stuff works for those with the skills.

I personally do not think soccer scholarships will be around for my kids to enjoy in ten year because the pathway seems to be changing and college sport directors are becoming very cheap outside of basketball and football.
        The kid was in the National team pool a few times and has been on the radar for years. The big showcase events attract coaches from around the country.

CT had kids go to Michigan and Ohio State last year. Nothing new here. CT’s best players can hang anywhere but as a small state we just don’t produce them annually.

Do your research on Title 9 and scholarships. There’s always opportunities but for most of our players their work in the classroom can generate more money than soccer

Comment

She is in the YNT pool.

Comment

Stanford finds their players on the US National team. The kid has quite the soccer resume. Stanford isn’t shopping for talent at Showcase events

Comment

Obviously you have a very young player. First reality check:she might not even be playing by high school. Lots of kids drop out for other interests. Second: only 2% of HS players play D1 sports. Third: While scholarship dollars can be significant for women, the myth of a full rides is largely a myth for a typical player.

As long as a school has a football team there will be female soccer teams and scholarships. It's the easiest way for a school to meet Title 9. Some universities are re evaluating the role of athletics at their schools. Stamford cut several smaller teams but the big ones are unlikely to be gone even by the time your student is ready for college

Comment

Obviously you have a very young player. First reality check:she might not even be playing by high school. Lots of kids drop out for other interests. Second: only 2% of HS players play D1 sports. Third: While scholarship dollars can be significant for women, the myth of a full rides is largely a myth for a typical player.

As long as a school has a football team there will be female soccer teams and scholarships. It's the easiest way for a school to meet Title 9. Some universities are re evaluating the role of athletics at their schools. Stamford cut several smaller teams but the big ones are unlikely to be gone even by the time your student is ready for college
                Ah that's really interesting bit about the Title 9 connection. Yes agree my girls are a ways off, but as someone who played high school soccer before "showcases", DA/GAL, etc. it does seem like there are more ways to stand out these days. I only got D3 interest from a pre-season high school tournament. My grades led me to choose a college without soccer and that will probably be the case for my kids. But, what I did learn along the way was that some parents really knew the system far better than mine which did in theory limit any opportunity I may have had.

Comment

Wow, good for her, must be a hell of a player. Big time soccer! I'm not her dad btw, just happy to see a kid from our area head to one of the best programs in the country. I'm sure the haters will hate, but to sign this early it's hard to debate her talent.
                  Good job cashing in. The size advantage is gone for her. Hope she does well out there, but if I was a betting man, I would take the under.

Oakwood will try and spin it as their player, but she was cfc before Oakwood and then used the club to play up for a few years and then jumped ship to nysc.

Comment

Good job cashing in. The size advantage is gone for her. Hope she does well out there, but if I was a betting man, I would take the under.

Oakwood will try and spin it as their player, but she was cfc before Oakwood and then used the club to play up for a few years and then jumped ship to nysc.
                    By getting into Stanford she has already succeeded - she won the bet, and then some. Rest is gravy.

Comment

By getting into Stanford she has already succeeded - she won the bet, and then some. Rest is gravy.
                      She isn’t in yet.

Anyway, this isn’t talking college education, it is talking soccer.

If she goes to Stanford and never plays and quits, was it a winning bet from a soccer perspective?

She will get the opportunity for a great education and if she is not paying for college, then a great free education. Clearly winning there. Hopefully she doesn’t mind being on the west coast, that is tough on some kids

Comment

Just curious.... why did she leave CFC?

Comment

Just curious.... why did she leave CFC?
                          Most likely because USSF was pushing NT kids hard to go to GDA.

Comment

She isn’t in yet.

Anyway, this isn’t talking college education, it is talking soccer.

If she goes to Stanford and never plays and quits, was it a winning bet from a soccer perspective?

She will get the opportunity for a great education and if she is not paying for college, then a great free education. Clearly winning there. Hopefully she doesn’t mind being on the west coast, that is tough on some kids
                            I would imagine most all on TS would jump at their kid getting a chance to play at Stanford.....hard to criticize this move.

Most of the discussion on TS marries soccer and education and very few of these girls will ever play professionally. They are not good enough and the money stinks anyway.

Comment

Most likely because USSF was pushing NT kids hard to go to GDA.
                              Nice guess but she left CFC at a young age before GDA. The rumor at the time was she left because CFC wouldn’t let her play up an OW would

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X