X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    People still do ODP?
    Yes much like people get fooled into paying thousands to so called “academies” which just like ODP are stealing people’s money. To each their own....

Comment

Ask all the parents from last year ODP.

They got seminars and maybe a practice. Everything got cancelled. Even when things opened up somewhat during summer, they did nothing to make it up, just rolled into the next year payment cycle.

No thank you.

Absolutely no credit towards next year or a chance for a partial refund.

Anyone from last year who came back for the A,B,C team per age group are suckers.

Spend your $ wisely, youth soccer will gladly take it, with a laugh.

Comment

Ask all the parents from last year ODP.

They got seminars and maybe a practice. Everything got cancelled. Even when things opened up somewhat during summer, they did nothing to make it up, just rolled into the next year payment cycle.

No thank you.

Absolutely no credit towards next year or a chance for a partial refund.

Anyone from last year who came back for the A,B,C team per age group are suckers.

Spend your $ wisely, youth soccer will gladly take it, with a laugh.
        I feel like **** we did both ODP and played GA and got ripped off in both with lots of cancellations and no refunds. Fooled me once....

Comment

ODP did give a partial refund.maybe 15-20%. My son played in 3 tournaments/friendlies last year, had several practices, and participated in several onsite (Pre-Covid) and virtual (post-Covid seminars). I was very happy with the program and am happy we did it again. There are no A,B,C teams. With age groups with multiple teams, they are broken up evenly (as best they can).

Comment

I'm thinking maybe the ODP staff need to rebalance some of the teams. Hopefully they shuffle some people around to balance the teams out better since they got to compete with each team and see them in game situations.

As for last year, everyone got screwed with COVID refunds. No clubs gave back what the cost of the spring would have been. Only difference was some got nothing and some got a few hundred and everyone else fell in between.

If you think ODP is a waste good for you. Stop complaining about it and don't have your kid participate simple as that. The only parents I know, personally, that complain are the ones whos kid never makes it.

Comment

I'm thinking maybe the ODP staff need to rebalance some of the teams. Hopefully they shuffle some people around to balance the teams out better since they got to compete with each team and see them in game situations.

As for last year, everyone got screwed with COVID refunds. No clubs gave back what the cost of the spring would have been. Only difference was some got nothing and some got a few hundred and everyone else fell in between.

If you think ODP is a waste good for you. Stop complaining about it and don't have your kid participate simple as that. The only parents I know, personally, that complain are the ones whos kid never makes it.
              What folks don’t understand is that if you don’t put in the time to get identified via ODP you may be overlooked for National and even Olympic level exposure.

Comment

Has there been any mention of the ODP summer camp or tournaments? The ODP organization is having financial issues and there was talk that these might not happen in 2021.

Comment

What folks don’t understand is that if you don’t put in the time to get identified via ODP you may be overlooked for National and even Olympic level exposure.
                  Correct so opportunity lost for the ones that want to play in other inflated leagues like GA, ECRL etc. is opportunity gained for the lads and young ladies that want to shoot for the stars with The Olympic Development Programme.

Comment

Do you really think that in 2020, youth National Team players are being identified through ODP?

Comment

Do you really think that in 2020, youth National Team players are being identified through ODP?
                      Not sure but that’s what’s being touted as one of the benefits of the program. Is that misleading? Why do they name themselves “Olympic”???

Comment

Not sure but that’s what’s being touted as one of the benefits of the program. Is that misleading? Why do they name themselves “Olympic”???
                        So, the way this worked in the past was that there was a summer camp for all of Region 1. At every age group, some 300-400 kids would show up. They had the equivalent of the Hunger Games every day, picking a regional pool. The final day's selection was then the Regional Pool for that year. About 30-40 kids per age group. Later in the year (November-ish), there would be an inter-regional tournament and from the Region 1 pool, they would pick a team (18 players) to participate. At that tournament, there were indeed NT scouts who would maybe invite 1 or 2 players from the whole age group across all the regions to a NT training camp.

Comment

So, the way this worked in the past was that there was a summer camp for all of Region 1. At every age group, some 300-400 kids would show up. They had the equivalent of the Hunger Games every day, picking a regional pool. The final day's selection was then the Regional Pool for that year. About 30-40 kids per age group. Later in the year (November-ish), there would be an inter-regional tournament and from the Region 1 pool, they would pick a team (18 players) to participate. At that tournament, there were indeed NT scouts who would maybe invite 1 or 2 players from the whole age group across all the regions to a NT training camp.
                          Are chances slim? Yes. Even with ECNL and GA ID2 clinics it is slim. There are tens of thousands of players, thousands or good ones and hundreds of exceptional. If you put your eggs in 1 basket maybe your kids that good and it is done. Reality is that multiple looks from multiple evaluators increases the chances of maybe making it.

Just like the lottery...Can't win if you don't play. And really, what's the down side? A feather in the cap for the soccer resume? A memory of being one of the best? The chance to play with and against different players?

Comment

Do national team scouts and coaches even talk with ODP coaches? I mean isn’t there pool generally from ECNL and partly GA, except in a rare few cases? My kid is on an ECNL team and there are a couple girls at ODP, but they are lower half of the team. Any kid on this team could easily make it, but don’t bother. Honestly, am I missing something?

Comment

Do national team scouts and coaches even talk with ODP coaches? I mean isn’t there pool generally from ECNL and partly GA, except in a rare few cases? My kid is on an ECNL team and there are a couple girls at ODP, but they are lower half of the team. Any kid on this team could easily make it, but don’t bother. Honestly, am I missing something?
                              Probably jealous of those “lower half” girls it’s amazing how much people downplay something when their kid does not make the team. ODP is still a great accomplishment and a springboard to be seen at a regional and national level.

Comment

Probably jealous of those “lower half” girls it’s amazing how much people downplay something when their kid does not make the team. ODP is still a great accomplishment and a springboard to be seen at a regional and national level.
                                Stop trying to stir up trouble. Person was most likely trying to be honest about abilities. ODP has been deemphasized at many clubs and by many coaches. That's just the reality. It doesn't take away the accomplishment of making it on a state level, and yes, there are potential regional and national opps you have get out of it.

The reality though is that the best of the best DON'T try out for ODP. I know of a few age levels where ODP was forced to take a lot of town travel/lower-level club girls because of the turn out. Again, if your kid made it, that's great. You and they should be happy. If you are going around bragging about it, please please please keep in mind the competition. If girls from the "best" clubs and teams aren't in the pool then it's probably not made up of the best in the area. That's just the truth.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X