Club soccer and winter sports

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ours doesn't discourage it, but they make it clear they expect Club to take priority. That alone makes it difficult for those looking to do both, as the HS expects the same.

I grew up playing three sports, but that's because there wasn't a ton of cross-seasonal activities. I likely would've dropped one, possibly two, of the others if I was in the same position today. I wished I had spent more time on one sport, no doubt I would've been better at it.

Every minute you are missing while playing another sport, is a minute lost that someone else is taking. Sure, there will always be players who can do both successfully. They are in the minority.

Comment

My son's not there yet, but if club soccer is 3 nights per week and winter sport is 5 days after school and into evenings with games, must be lots of overlap and lots of burn out, fatigue and overuse injuries. How do these multisport athletes deal with this? Whether the winter sport is Ball, track, wrestling they all require lots of energy and so does soccer. I don't get how they can recover. I also don't understand how they could possibly have time for homework.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Discouraged on what grounds? It distracts from their work on soccer (it certainly doesn’t have to) ? It might lead to injury? (I suppose, but it also helps enhance fitness and develop qualities like agility). Seems to me a tad intrusive for a youth coach you are paying (rather than a pro team which is paying you to play) to dictate your kid’s other athletic endeavors especially if they don’t directly conflict with his practices. If kids at places like PDA ECNL are also playing sports like HS B-BALL, maybe your coach is unnecessarily overstepping his bounds.
        Discouraged based on if you play the other sport and you miss soccer training or even a scrimmage then you lose your spot in the pecking order on a roster with 22 players on it. The world has gone mad and these coaches are money hungry without regard for the kids best interest. If the roster had only 15 on it I wonder if the coach would have the same viewpoint???

Comment

Discouraged based on if you play the other sport and you miss soccer training or even a scrimmage then you lose your spot in the pecking order on a roster with 22 players on it. The world has gone mad and these coaches are money hungry without regard for the kids best interest. If the roster had only 15 on it I wonder if the coach would have the same viewpoint???
          Club coaches don't care about you once you leave their fields. Show up and perform for THEM. At high school ages up playing time should be earned and that means showing up for practices. Why should a kid sho misses practices get PT over the ones who are there every single time?

Not all clubs operate this way but the ones that give more leeway tend to be in the lower leagues. If playing multiple sports is important to your athlete then most times compromises have to be made.

Comment

Club coaches don't care about you once you leave their fields. Show up and perform for THEM. At high school ages up playing time should be earned and that means showing up for practices. Why should a kid sho misses practices get PT over the ones who are there every single time?

Not all clubs operate this way but the ones that give more leeway tend to be in the lower leagues. If playing multiple sports is important to your athlete then most times compromises have to be made.
            Totally agree, the coaches do not care at all for the well being of the kids and doing what’s right and supporting them being well rounded. As long as their business driven success is met that’s what matters most. Just the way it is...if you don’t like it go play basketball.

Comment

Club coaches are hired, and keep their employment, but making players better soccer players.

You want them to actually be happy about players missing their training, so they lose control over their ability to do what they are hired for?

Really?

Club coaches don't care about your kid being "well rounded". That's not what they are hired for, and that's not what you pay the club for.

Comment

Club coaches are hired, and keep their employment, but making players better soccer players.

You want them to actually be happy about players missing their training, so they lose control over their ability to do what they are hired for?

Really?

Club coaches don't care about your kid being "well rounded". That's not what they are hired for, and that's not what you pay the club for.
                Club coaches are terrific people in terms of looking after their own bottom line. Keeping their employment is number one priority, caring for your little Suzy not so much.

Comment

Club coaches are terrific people in terms of looking after their own bottom line. Keeping their employment is number one priority, caring for your little Suzy not so much.
                  Sure it is. Caring for your little Suzie to be a better soccer player, as per their employment requirement. Little Suzie playing basketball instead of soccer goes against what you (generalization) hired them for.

Comment

Sure it is. Caring for your little Suzie to be a better soccer player, as per their employment requirement. Little Suzie playing basketball instead of soccer goes against what you (generalization) hired them for.
                    May I remind you of Christie Rampone, Mia Hamm etc all multi sport athletes??? I bet you their travel soccer coaches loved seeing them compete and be successful in multiple sports and did not punish them....but no not now, that’s not possible for today’s soccer “superstar”. Gimme a break about caring about the players being better soccer players! All today’s coaches care about is collecting a paycheck and applying next paying customer in line mentality.

Comment

Coaches keep their jobs by producing decent results. Higher ranked teams bring in more customers (because parents think winning equates to development). Don't blame the coaches, who don't make much and just want to stay employed. Blame the clubs who put too much emphasis on results as well as parents who don't take the time to understand how it all works - easier to keep writing checks

Comment

May I remind you of Christie Rampone, Mia Hamm etc all multi sport athletes??? I bet you their travel soccer coaches loved seeing them compete and be successful in multiple sports and did not punish them....but no not now, that’s not possible for today’s soccer “superstar”. Gimme a break about caring about the players being better soccer players! All today’s coaches care about is collecting a paycheck and applying next paying customer in line mentality.
                        How old is Mia Hamm?

I'm not against playing another sport, but I am against spreading yourself too thin. Every minute you spend bouncing a ball with your hands at the expense of time on the ball, if your intent is to get getter at soccer, is wasted. Play, but don't let it get in the way of what your intentions are.

And, yes...coaches care about collecting a paycheck. So, they would like to have as much control in the successes to reward them with a paycheck, just like anyone else. Ever have a job where your successes at it are dependent on a metric that is 100% outside your control? Sucks.

Comment

How old is Mia Hamm?

I'm not against playing another sport, but I am against spreading yourself too thin. Every minute you spend bouncing a ball with your hands at the expense of time on the ball, if your intent is to get getter at soccer, is wasted. Play, but don't let it get in the way of what your intentions are.

And, yes...coaches care about collecting a paycheck. So, they would like to have as much control in the successes to reward them with a paycheck, just like anyone else. Ever have a job where your successes at it are dependent on a metric that is 100% outside your control? Sucks.
                          Oh boy! So says the world cup soccer star poster. What the hell are you intentions? The world cup? Premier League? Get over it world cup star it is not happening and that is ok. Dribble a ball anyway you like. Or if you listen to this guy you might lose precious time and won't make a world cup roster. Get a grip

Comment

Oh boy! So says the world cup soccer star poster. What the hell are you intentions? The world cup? Premier League? Get over it world cup star it is not happening and that is ok. Dribble a ball anyway you like. Or if you listen to this guy you might lose precious time and won't make a world cup roster. Get a grip
                            Totally agree lots of fools out there that miss the point! Enjoy playing soccer and be the best at it but it’s also ok to enjoy other sports/activities too! Talent is talent it stands out above all at the end of the day.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X