Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    ODP Parent here. My kid is a decent soccer player and wanted to tryout. We did our homework, got educated, spoke with her coach and decided we'd support it. She made the team and is having fun. Absolutely no expectation that this is a pathway to the USWNT, a D1 scholarship, or anything else. Certainly no belief that this is her ONLY path to any of those things. Reading this thread it seems I should believe that the decision we made was a huge mistake, but I just don't get it.
    You did the right thing and are maintaining a decent attitude. ODP is fine for what it is, and you didn't make a mistake. It's extra training that you're paying for. What's the difference if it's this or something else.

The people that are saying it's a giant waste are wrong. More touches and playing with a different group of kids are both good things. Even it's crap soccer, they can focus on things they need to work on.

On the other hand, you've got people on here saying it's the "path to the olympics". They are idiots as are the parents at ODP who are so high on themselves and their kid for the "amazing soccer" that is being played. Oh please.

Comment

ODP seems like a thing that has lost its relevance over time. Probably was a very good thing when it was first started back in the 70s, but there are so many competing platforms now that doesn't achieve its original purpose anymore. At this point, it might be a good opportunity to get additional training with other good players, but it's just one of many of those kinds of things now.

Comment

You did the right thing and are maintaining a decent attitude. ODP is fine for what it is, and you didn't make a mistake. It's extra training that you're paying for. What's the difference if it's this or something else.

The people that are saying it's a giant waste are wrong. More touches and playing with a different group of kids are both good things. Even it's crap soccer, they can focus on things they need to work on.

On the other hand, you've got people on here saying it's the "path to the olympics". They are idiots as are the parents at ODP who are so high on themselves and their kid for the "amazing soccer" that is being played. Oh please.
        It’s not the parents that are saying it’s a platform to be identified for the highest level of play (national, Olympic etc.) it’s ODP. I don’t think they are saying is “extra training”. If so the programme name should be changed to extra training. Why is it not represented for what it is, any idea?

Comment

It’s not the parents that are saying it’s a platform to be identified for the highest level of play (national, Olympic etc.) it’s ODP. I don’t think they are saying is “extra training”. If so the programme name should be changed to extra training. Why is it not represented for what it is, any idea?
          ODP was started in the 70s and offered exactly what it claims to be offering. Over time, particularly in the last 5-10 years, it has lost its luster because of competing platforms.

Comment

ODP was started in the 70s and offered exactly what it claims to be offering. Over time, particularly in the last 5-10 years, it has lost its luster because of competing platforms.
            My kid was in ODP a couple of years ago, and the marketing message by folks doing evaluation was that:
            - "look at the XYZ players on the national team they went through ODP"
            - "player XYZ didn't make the team, but through hard work, they made it 2 years later and now they are on the national team"

Clearly it had that aspiration even 5 years ago. Fortunately we had a chance of evaluating the program against other options
            - cost (very high)
            - drills and training (some OK, but also lots of standing and listening, not touches on the ball)
            - flexibility (no make up sessions, priority over club sessions or games)
            - travel (excessive and inconvenient)

Comment

Womens soccer is all about finding common narratives and pathways and selling them to parents as the reason player A is where they are. Your player can be similar by doing ODP is one of them. Every league, team, facility etc is selling that story. They all try and minimize the things you cant replicate so easily - talent and mentality.

There will be kids who make YNTs who do/did ODP, but ODP will not be the reason they get/got there

Comment

My kid was in ODP a couple of years ago, and the marketing message by folks doing evaluation was that:
                - "look at the XYZ players on the national team they went through ODP"
                - "player XYZ didn't make the team, but through hard work, they made it 2 years later and now they are on the national team"

Clearly it had that aspiration even 5 years ago. Fortunately we had a chance of evaluating the program against other options
                - cost (very high)
                - drills and training (some OK, but also lots of standing and listening, not touches on the ball)
                - flexibility (no make up sessions, priority over club sessions or games)
                - travel (excessive and inconvenient)
                We went through it 10 years ago with my oldest and it was a complete waste....I could not imagine what it looks like now. Either way the name Olympic should not be used.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X