Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New List of "Programs That Inspire" Begins With Women's Soccer Top 20

Thought this was interesting... evidently they're going to do men's programs next week.

https://collegeathleticadvisor.com/inspire/ has the whole explanation, but surprised a local site included Western but not UPS...

Top 20 Women's Programs That Inspire (non-NCAA Division 1)

THE TOP 20 (RANK, SCHOOL, AFFILIATION)
    1. William Smith (NY, NCAA Division 3)
    2. Western Washington (WA, NCAA Division 2)
    3. Christopher Newport University (VA, NCAA Division 3)
    4. College of St. Rose (NY, NCAA Division 2)
    5. University of Tampa (FL, NCAA Division 2)
    6. University of Chicago (IL, NCAA Division 3)
    7. Grand Valley State (MI, NCAA Division 2)
    8. Westmont College (CA, NAIA)
    9. Johns Hopkins (MD, NCAA Division 3)
    10. Sonoma State (CA, NCAA Division 2)
    11. Middlebury College (VT, NCAA Division 3)
    12. Benedictine College (KS, NAIA)
    13. The College of New Jersey (NJ, NCAA Division 3)
    14. Rollins College (FL, NCAA Division 2)
    15. St. Edward’s University (TX, NCAA Division 2)
    16. Pomona – Pitzer (CA, NCAA Division 3)
    17. Indiana Wesleyan University (IN, NAIA)
    18. Hardin-Simmons University (TX, NCAA Division 3)
    19. Colorado School of Mines (CO, NCAA Division 2)
    20. UMass - Boston (MA, NCAA Division 3)

Cool list, thanks for sharing. I do wish that the author had provided more explanation for each school and why they deserve to be named. I see the overall considerations, but school-level detail would have been great.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Cool list, thanks for sharing. I do wish that the author had provided more explanation for each school and why they deserve to be named. I see the overall considerations, but school-level detail would have been great.
      An interesting but somewhat odd list. I'm most familiar with the highly selective D3 schools, and don't see any particular rationale for listing Middlebury rather than Williams or Amherst or Bowdoin, U of Chicago and not Wash U or Carleton, or Johns Hopkins but not Swarthmore, etc. But as a somewhat random assortment of the many D2 and D3 schools around the country that have soccer programs kids might want to consider if the school fits the bill academically (and economically), it's sort of useful.

Comment

UW is a great school, but it doesn’t compare to University of Chicago. Also, no D1 schools on the list. Maybe supports the idea that, for the vast majority of solid soccer players, D2/3, NAIA, or Juco end up being a more fulfilling experience than D1.

Comment

An interesting but somewhat odd list. I'm most familiar with the highly selective D3 schools, and don't see any particular rationale for listing Middlebury rather than Williams or Amherst or Bowdoin, U of Chicago and not Wash U or Carleton, or Johns Hopkins but not Swarthmore, etc. But as a somewhat random assortment of the many D2 and D3 schools around the country that have soccer programs kids might want to consider if the school fits the bill academically (and economically), it's sort of useful.
          My daughter has done camps and had contact with a lot of schools on that list. She really liked the Middlebury coach's style and personality, so maybe that's a factor in terms of what seems inspiring? Amherst as an institution is notorious for giving athlete's good prereads and then rejecting them at admissions time, though the women's soccer coaches seem great. U of Chicago coach seems excellent too!

Comment

UW is a great school, but it doesn’t compare to University of Chicago. Also, no D1 schools on the list. Maybe supports the idea that, for the vast majority of solid soccer players, D2/3, NAIA, or Juco end up being a more fulfilling experience than D1.
            I'm sure many would consider the #6 ranked national university (U of C) is comparable to the #16 ranked national university (Wash U). Wash U's soccer program has a solid history of success in D3 too.

Comment

I'm sure many would consider the #6 ranked national university (U of C) is comparable to the #16 ranked national university (Wash U). Wash U's soccer program has a solid history of success in D3 too.
              Sorry, I misread your previous post as talking about University of Washington not Washington University in St. Louis. I almost went there. Don’t know a ton about the soccer program, but agree, great school.

Comment

From their website looks like they intentionally wanted to highlight non D1 schools that aren't highly publicized but have solid athletic and academic programs. Would love to know what their criteria is for "holistic." Glad to see WWU on this list. Soccer wise, Western's Women's soccer program is awesome and always in the running for a National title which you can't really say about UW or WSU. Also glad to see Colorado School of Mines listed. It is one of the more academic D2 schools that have great outcomes for their graduates. Several of the schools on the list I have never heard of but I know someone with a kid who played soccer for GVS and said it was a very sports centered school. A list like this is a good launching board for researching schools outside of the "known" D1 and D3 programs.

From the website "About These Rankings"

These holistic program rankings are open to all 4-year U.S. collegiate level programs sponsoring women’s soccer outside of NCAA Division 1 (so this is a top 20 out of over 1,200 colleges & universities). Rankings are based on a subjective assessment of student experience in four areas:

Holistic development of student-athletes in the institution
                Academic achievement & support for the academic success of student-athletes
                Overall college experience for participants within the program
                Affordability/Graduation Rates/Student Satisfaction

These rankings are meant to highlight programs that may not be widely publicized despite having achieved consistent elite status in competition and in elevating the lives of participating student-athletes. While this is a subjective list, we believe these rankings present an informed starting point for a discussion about where student-athletes can excel as “triple-threat” competitors (academics, athletics, and socially) in college and in their future lives.

Comment

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge about WWU's Women's soccer program? My 2022 player is putting together her list and I would appreciate any info anyone has about the team culture, coaches, etc. Thank you in advance.

Comment

the kids I know up there are being challenged, having a great time, and really enjoy it!

Comment

Well, the men's list dropped today. The full top 20 and explanation is here... https://collegeathleticadvisor.com/inspire/

The Lutes got in there...

Top 5:

1. Amherst College (MA, NCAA Division 3)
                      2. SUNY – Oneonta (NY, NCAA Division 3)
                      3. Cal State – Los Angeles (CA, NCAA Division 2)
                      4. Ohio Wesleyan (OH, NCAA Division 3)
                      5. Centre College (KY, Division 3)

Comment

Why don’t Men’s and Women’s lists overlap?

Well, the men's list dropped today. The full top 20 and explanation is here... https://collegeathleticadvisor.com/inspire/

The Lutes got in there...

Top 5:

1. Amherst College (MA, NCAA Division 3)
                        2. SUNY – Oneonta (NY, NCAA Division 3)
                        3. Cal State – Los Angeles (CA, NCAA Division 2)
                        4. Ohio Wesleyan (OH, NCAA Division 3)
                        5. Centre College (KY, Division 3)
                        Doesn’t make sense. None of these top 5 are on the Women’s list. Do they treat their men so well but neglect their women’s team?

Comment

Doesn’t make sense. None of these top 5 are on the Women’s list. Do they treat their men so well but neglect their women’s team?
                          You must be new here. By "here," I mean the world.

Comment

must be so confusing for you when a men's team wins a title and then the women's title goes to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT school...

Comment

Western doesn't have a Men's program.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X