Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You’re a special kind of twat aren’t you.

Hypothetical/friend was a joke.

The question is very straightforward. There are two ECNL clubs in the state. If a child rides the pine at one of these ECNL teams, is it worth sticking it out? How hard is that? The first person answered it. You answered it like some freshman dope who just took his first philosophy course and tried to impress his friends over Christmas break.
    If she can not get over the hump, it is NOT worth sticking out .... is your kid playing for a badge or because she loves it?? .... go for 3 or 4 workouts with the other ECNL team and try OW too if its not too far. Then try a third, but smaller club and see how that goes as well. You will learn a lot about her and the other clubs and where she might fit in (with them and where she is) as you go through the process. The process should really help you to take stock of where she is in CT soccer and get her to the right spot. I have to caution you that if she is a soph or junior, you might want to consider just leaving her where she is to finish out the process and stay with her friends if that is most important to her. My daughter was nearly traumatized when she changed late in HS after 5 or 6 years at her former club. I don't think it was worth it in retrospect even though the soccer was much better.

Comment

If she can not get over the hump, it is NOT worth sticking out .... is your kid playing for a badge or because she loves it?? .... go for 3 or 4 workouts with the other ECNL team and try OW too if its not too far. Then try a third, but smaller club and see how that goes as well. You will learn a lot about her and the other clubs and where she might fit in (with them and where she is) as you go through the process. The process should really help you to take stock of where she is in CT soccer and get her to the right spot. I have to caution you that if she is a soph or junior, you might want to consider just leaving her where she is to finish out the process and stay with her friends if that is most important to her. My daughter was nearly traumatized when she changed late in HS after 5 or 6 years at her former club. I don't think it was worth it in retrospect even though the soccer was much better.
      And again a parent who pushes a child who is not A material to make changes that are detrimental to her development as a person. This is why some people need to step back and allow professionals and those who are more knowledgeable make evaluations.

-you only think you know...

Comment

My kid is about to age up into U13 next year and plays NPL now. How do you approach getting onto an ECNL team? Do we try to call the club and practice with their top "pre-ecnl" age team now?

Comment

ECNL badge is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

My kid is about to age up into U13 next year and plays NPL now. How do you approach getting onto an ECNL team? Do we try to call the club and practice with their top "pre-ecnl" age team now?
            U13 in September? If that's the case I'd definitely stay put. Don't waste time and money on the Pre-ECNL stuff. They reset those teams entirely at U14.

If you are going to spend money now I'd think about some private training with emphasis on skills or futsal.

This time next year, you could reach out to the coaches of the pre ecnl team to set up times for her to practice. This will get her on the radar well in advance of the cattle call tryouts.

Comment

Imposter again...I really wish this person would get his/her own stuff. Trying to be someone else on an anonymous message board is really weird.

^^^

I wish this person right here would get a clue. get your own material and perspective. People learn from the things I write. You just copy

Comment

And again a parent who pushes a child who is not A material to make changes that are detrimental to her development as a person. This is why some people need to step back and allow professionals and those who are more knowledgeable make evaluations.

Again. Creepy imposter^^^^

Comment

U13 in September? If that's the case I'd definitely stay put. Don't waste time and money on the Pre-ECNL stuff. They reset those teams entirely at U14.

If you are going to spend money now I'd think about some private training with emphasis on skills or futsal.

This time next year, you could reach out to the coaches of the pre ecnl team to set up times for her to practice. This will get her on the radar well in advance of the cattle call tryouts.
                  Thanks. I had thought the U13 was first year of ECNL and some people have been saying if you're not at the club by then it is really hard to make it. I know DA starts at U14 but seems like that may not even exist by the time my D ages into it.

Comment

Again. Creepy imposter^^^^

you should realize that having that silly tagline sig invites people to do that. It is like a beacon for trolls.

Comment

I think the question was whether to go practice with a pre-ECNL team during the spring (prior to trying out for a U13 ECNL team). Since attending a training session or 2 costs nothing, there is NO downside to doing this. In fact, if you are considering having your child switch clubs (regardless of whether it is to move from NPL to ECNL), you should ALWAYS try to have them attend a training session beforehand. Not just to let your child be seen prior to a tryout (most coaches know the kids they are targeting well before the actual tryout), but also to see if your child likes the environment/coaching/training session.

Comment

I think the question was whether to go practice with a pre-ECNL team during the spring (prior to trying out for a U13 ECNL team). Since attending a training session or 2 costs nothing, there is NO downside to doing this. In fact, if you are considering having your child switch clubs (regardless of whether it is to move from NPL to ECNL), you should ALWAYS try to have them attend a training session beforehand. Not just to let your child be seen prior to a tryout (most coaches know the kids they are targeting well before the actual tryout), but also to see if your child likes the environment/coaching/training session.
                        Yes you got it. Is the best move to contact the coach or do you go through the director and ask them to set up a practice?

Comment

This is a question I dont understand.

Important in what regard? It is a band aid that makes a coach think a player is better than she is ? No.

it comes across that people who ask the question are looking for a shortcut or an "edge" that only really exists once you move past real ability. If your player shows real ability, then i dont care what league she is in.

Is it a tie breaker between players? Perhaps. But eh most reliable way to avoid it being important is to get better

Does the ECNL make all its players better? No. No league does. The onus is and will always be on the player.

Do the work and be responsible for the results. There are clubs outside the ECNL that can help you do the work if you are motivated.

Comment

ECNL badge is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
                            Yes, it's not chump change to most. The other leagues cost money too, but as discussed in another thread, a typical ECNL player should expect to incur around $8000/yr depending on how nice you like to travel. However, do some research on how many D1 minutes CT ECNL players are getting. Is there currently more than single digit ECNL trained players getting significant D1 minutes (say 1000)?

Comment

Nope, sorry, know-it-all ..... she wanted a team that played better soccer like she was capable of .... she got it and fit in on the field just great .... however, she (and us, her parents) did not realize how important her old team and friends were .... even if they did not play nice soccer in the top league. Her old team was very talented, but the coaches allowed the majority of the team to play kickball and that was very frustrating. Had she stayed, it would have been been difficult to watch, but she would have had more fun. She knows she learned a lot and enjoyed the soccer better at the new club, but she just really missed her old friends. I don't trust you "professionals" ... you talk a good game, but most are poor at managing it, and you "professionals" often have a way of distorting your teams, playing styles, PT minutes and positions in a way that only you can often understand .... when it isn't working, try changing something .... I guess you guys would if you cared at all but seems like many of you just plain dont as long as you are getting paid.

- YOU don't know jack!

Comment

Don't make this complicated. Yes, call or email the coaches of the teams she is interested in for next year and go to multiple workouts for each (as many as you can). You will see how you like the coach, the club, the commute, the players, the parents, the playing style, you can gauge where and how she fits in .....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X