Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I like the list, but it appears that there may be too many offensive players.
    What positions would they be playing and/or formation would they be in?
    Just like JB AND LY from TA were moved to defensive positions from primarily offensive midfield many of these kids listed could do the same. I was not the one who created that list but just thinking about the list- I think most could figure out who the 3 primary defenders would be and ML and DP could be great left and right backs in a 442 for example, or GR could play a more defensive role as well-like he was in ODP and for eastside 04’s before leaving. Seems like many could play wing backs in a 532, SD, LF, ML, on the outside with a solid midfield made up of AB(capfc), AP, and any others not playing the outside at the time with AB, MS, LW up top with a ton of speed and goal scoring ability. The group would have a ton of flexibility and if coached properly and taught to move without the ball would be a dangerous group that I would love to watch play TA (who also has a group of talented players- I am not anti TA at all) If I missed any others plug em in- and cue the angry guy who will now come in and say my opinion is worthless and he/she knows better. And I would like to know who they would have listed instead or left out as I think the list was fairly well thought out...

Comment

2 FC players, 1 updx, 5 OPFC, 2 capital, 2 Westside, and 2 WashT?

I can only imagine which honk came up with that list....
      Which players do you have a problem with? I would agree that OPFC has the most depth and quality players. they have lost nobody to TA as far as I know and all the others in the metro area have....Did you want more westside kids named or something donkey??

Comment

Just like JB AND LY from TA were moved to defensive positions from primarily offensive midfield many of these kids listed could do the same. I was not the one who created that list but just thinking about the list- I think most could figure out who the 3 primary defenders would be and ML and DP could be great left and right backs in a 442 for example, or GR could play a more defensive role as well-like he was in ODP and for eastside 04’s before leaving. Seems like many could play wing backs in a 532, SD, LF, ML, on the outside with a solid midfield made up of AB(capfc), AP, and any others not playing the outside at the time with AB, MS, LW up top with a ton of speed and goal scoring ability. The group would have a ton of flexibility and if coached properly and taught to move without the ball would be a dangerous group that I would love to watch play TA (who also has a group of talented players- I am not anti TA at all) If I missed any others plug em in- and cue the angry guy who will now come in and say my opinion is worthless and he/she knows better. And I would like to know who they would have listed instead or left out as I think the list was fairly well thought out...
        I like the lineup and Formation. I would go watch even though my son is not on the list.

Comment

FC 2 OPFC 1

Hahaha

Comment

Interesting take. It's long been a problem that fans and parents, especially casual fans, don't often appreciate defenders, or off the ball play in general. Thus it's not surprising that the list the WashT parent posted is heavy on offensive players. And there is ample evidence that quite a few coaches have a tendency to put their best technical players up front or in the advanced midfield, and putting athletes with weaker touch in the back--and telling them to get rid of the ball as soon as they have it. Some of this is the greater risk of a turnover in the defensive third, but some may be due to a view that defenders are lesser soccer players.

And while marking, tackling, and defensive positioning are important and valuable skills, there also seems to be a view among some coaches that these skills are easier to acquire than ballhandling skills, and that it's better to take wingers and strikers and put them on the back line at higher levels, than to try and improve the ball skills of established defenders.

That said, there are plenty of defenders and defensive mids in Oregon DA who are skilled soccer players, not just big and fast hunks of meat that are deficient with the ball at the feet.

(And of course--is specialization at this age, other than keepers, even appropriate?)

At any rate, is the list "best players in DA, regardless of position?" "Best DA team, implying all positions are included"? "Players mostly likely to succeed with TA were they to join?" "Team most likely to beat the TA in a match"?

As far as Westside goes--last I looked, they were at the top of the DA league, tied with OPFC on points and having a better head-to-head record and a better goal differential. And the team is far more than just ML blasting away from 20 yards or AH running down counter-attacks (though both players are very good and belong on the list). I'm well aware they sent a zillion players to TA, and yes, the current roster is as much Samba as it is Copa. But--they're still on top of the division and scoring tons of goals--SE and CK last year have to be doing something right. Maybe they are just incredibly deep (Steven gives his entire roster lots of minutes; nobody warms his bench) without any truly special players, or exceptionally well-coached. Or maybe the fact that the current WT roster has few players from ODP two seasons ago, might also have something to do with it. But the club probably deserves some praise and credit for rebuilding a top team in the age group only two years after most of its first team moved on.

Comment

FC 2 OPFC 1

Hahaha
              Take away the Crossfire name, and wow.

Comment

Take away the Crossfire name, and wow.
                The spring swoon continues even with a name change....

Haha

Comment

The spring swoon continues even with a name change....

Haha
                  Someone obviously had a basketball game.

Comment

FC 2 OPFC 1

Hahaha
                    WHat a refereeing disgrace! FCP was pushing our boys in the back as they tried to gain an advantage for balls in the air all game long!
                    The ref called a few, but not nearly enough. The FCP coach should feel ashamed for teaching the boys to do that.

Comment

WHat a refereeing disgrace! FCP was pushing our boys in the back as they tried to gain an advantage for balls in the air all game long!
                      The ref called a few, but not nearly enough. The FCP coach should feel ashamed for teaching the boys to do that.
                      This one is too good to be true. Either the ex crossfire honk has abandoned all dignity, or someone is being a clever troll....

Comment

FU(k outta here soccer mom .

Comment

Would love to read a recap :)

Comment

While you all have been whining about the referees in last night's pillow fight, today in AZ it was Westside earning a well fought 1-1 draw against Crossfire Premier, who was last seen kicking FC's teeth in at Oceanside.

Comment

Would love to read a recap :)
                              OPFC plays without 4 “starters” and only has one sub on a gimpy wheel. OPFC squanders multiple scoring chances (some on great saves by AK) and goes into half only up 1-0 thus allowing FC to hang around- after dominating much of the possession and scoring chances. AP breaks through and scores both goals on busted plays in the second half- one on a goal kick from AK (and I thought FC taught to play out of the back). Overall cold wet game and FC took advantage of its limited scoring chances and earned a 2-1 sloppy win.

Comment

OPFC plays without 4 “starters” and only has one sub on a gimpy wheel.

Yup, basketball practice.

OPFC squanders multiple scoring chances (some on great saves by AK) and goes into half only up 1-0 thus allowing FC to hang around- after dominating much of the possession and scoring chances.
                                Bootball tends to not work well against a good keeper. Might try something else next time.

AP breaks through and scores both goals on busted plays in the second half- one on a goal kick from AK (and I thought FC taught to play out of the back).
                                Oh, the irony. Are you new here?

Overall cold wet game and FC took advantage of its limited scoring chances and earned a 2-1 sloppy win.
                                Sloppy wins count the same as the glorious kind.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X