Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 4 > Oregon

Notices

Oregon Discussions about Oregon soccer.

Old 15 Hours Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I like the list, but it appears that there may be too many offensive players.
What positions would they be playing and/or formation would they be in?
Just like JB AND LY from TA were moved to defensive positions from primarily offensive midfield many of these kids listed could do the same. I was not the one who created that list but just thinking about the list- I think most could figure out who the 3 primary defenders would be and ML and DP could be great left and right backs in a 442 for example, or GR could play a more defensive role as well-like he was in ODP and for eastside 04ís before leaving. Seems like many could play wing backs in a 532, SD, LF, ML, on the outside with a solid midfield made up of AB(capfc), AP, and any others not playing the outside at the time with AB, MS, LW up top with a ton of speed and goal scoring ability. The group would have a ton of flexibility and if coached properly and taught to move without the ball would be a dangerous group that I would love to watch play TA (who also has a group of talented players- I am not anti TA at all) If I missed any others plug em in- and cue the angry guy who will now come in and say my opinion is worthless and he/she knows better. And I would like to know who they would have listed instead or left out as I think the list was fairly well thought out...
Old 12 Hours Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
2 FC players, 1 updx, 5 OPFC, 2 capital, 2 Westside, and 2 WashT?

I can only imagine which honk came up with that list....
Which players do you have a problem with? I would agree that OPFC has the most depth and quality players. they have lost nobody to TA as far as I know and all the others in the metro area have....Did you want more westside kids named or something donkey??
Old 12 Hours Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Just like JB AND LY from TA were moved to defensive positions from primarily offensive midfield many of these kids listed could do the same. I was not the one who created that list but just thinking about the list- I think most could figure out who the 3 primary defenders would be and ML and DP could be great left and right backs in a 442 for example, or GR could play a more defensive role as well-like he was in ODP and for eastside 04ís before leaving. Seems like many could play wing backs in a 532, SD, LF, ML, on the outside with a solid midfield made up of AB(capfc), AP, and any others not playing the outside at the time with AB, MS, LW up top with a ton of speed and goal scoring ability. The group would have a ton of flexibility and if coached properly and taught to move without the ball would be a dangerous group that I would love to watch play TA (who also has a group of talented players- I am not anti TA at all) If I missed any others plug em in- and cue the angry guy who will now come in and say my opinion is worthless and he/she knows better. And I would like to know who they would have listed instead or left out as I think the list was fairly well thought out...
I like the lineup and Formation. I would go watch even though my son is not on the list.
Old 9 Hours Ago
Unregistered

FC 2 OPFC 1

Hahaha
Old 8 Hours Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Interesting take. It's long been a problem that fans and parents, especially casual fans, don't often appreciate defenders, or off the ball play in general. Thus it's not surprising that the list the WashT parent posted is heavy on offensive players. And there is ample evidence that quite a few coaches have a tendency to put their best technical players up front or in the advanced midfield, and putting athletes with weaker touch in the back--and telling them to get rid of the ball as soon as they have it. Some of this is the greater risk of a turnover in the defensive third, but some may be due to a view that defenders are lesser soccer players.

And while marking, tackling, and defensive positioning are important and valuable skills, there also seems to be a view among some coaches that these skills are easier to acquire than ballhandling skills, and that it's better to take wingers and strikers and put them on the back line at higher levels, than to try and improve the ball skills of established defenders.

That said, there are plenty of defenders and defensive mids in Oregon DA who are skilled soccer players, not just big and fast hunks of meat that are deficient with the ball at the feet.

(And of course--is specialization at this age, other than keepers, even appropriate?)

At any rate, is the list "best players in DA, regardless of position?" "Best DA team, implying all positions are included"? "Players mostly likely to succeed with TA were they to join?" "Team most likely to beat the TA in a match"?

As far as Westside goes--last I looked, they were at the top of the DA league, tied with OPFC on points and having a better head-to-head record and a better goal differential. And the team is far more than just ML blasting away from 20 yards or AH running down counter-attacks (though both players are very good and belong on the list). I'm well aware they sent a zillion players to TA, and yes, the current roster is as much Samba as it is Copa. But--they're still on top of the division and scoring tons of goals--SE and CK last year have to be doing something right. Maybe they are just incredibly deep (Steven gives his entire roster lots of minutes; nobody warms his bench) without any truly special players, or exceptionally well-coached. Or maybe the fact that the current WT roster has few players from ODP two seasons ago, might also have something to do with it. But the club probably deserves some praise and credit for rebuilding a top team in the age group only two years after most of its first team moved on.
Old 8 Hours Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
FC 2 OPFC 1

Hahaha
Take away the Crossfire name, and wow.
Old 8 Hours Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Take away the Crossfire name, and wow.
The spring swoon continues even with a name change....

Haha
Old 8 Hours Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
The spring swoon continues even with a name change....

Haha
Someone obviously had a basketball game.