Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My son is a sophomore in college and still gets ID camp emails.
    My son is a soph in HS and is getting a ton if these from coaches and schools that he has never heard of. He is so proud and I just keep SMH. All I keep thinking of is the commercial with the old guy checking his emails and he yells excitedly to his wife in the kitchen, "I just won the Australian lottery!" And she yells back in disbelief " But you've never been to Australia!"

People, these college coaches are scammers with a dual purpose ..... 1. Supplement their income and 2. If lucky, find one or two semi precious stones in the heap.

Comment

It’s a scam

Comment

OP wrote something like this at another site.
        I think she is a bit troll and nuts
        since she claims her dd is all-star regional basketball
        player that could be recruited by Ivy, now soccer player, evidently.
        But I could be mistaken, so.....

This is a part cattle call, discovery, and recruitment ID camp.
        There is a good range from D1 to D3.
        Good schools actually like Amherst, Wellesley, Brown, etc.
        I would expect some good competition. Most likely, there
        will be girls who trying to be recruited and wrote to the
        coaches beforehand.

The format will be skills, small side, separation of players,
        11 v 11, moving players up or down.
        If you have done ODP, very similar.
        Obvious who are the good players.

ID camps are good if you use it in proper context that it is used to
        raise money and the target players are already there.
        Your dd gets the benefits of the experience.
        Hey man, no idea what "another site" you are talking about but it's kind of sketchy that you think you are keeping track of some lady posting online. troll anyone? This is why women and girls should be careful about posting online.

Comment

I did not want to make a big fan

Comment

My son is a sophomore in college and still gets ID camp emails.
            I have 3 kids. One plays soccer, one plays football and lacrosse, and the other run XC and track. The one that run gets emails about soccer ID camps and she only played a few years of recreational soccer when she was like 6 & 7 years old.

Comment

I have 3 kids. One plays soccer, one plays football and lacrosse, and the other run XC and track. The one that run gets emails about soccer ID camps and she only played a few years of recreational soccer when she was like 6 & 7 years old.
              Nothing like a blast email to a half-assed ID camp to make you feel special about your little superstar!

There are about 37,000 public and private high schools in the US. If you figure 80% of them have a varsity soccer team and each averages 8 seniors that’s about 237,000 potential college recruits. There are about 1,100 colleges in D1 thru 3 and if each averages 7 freshman recruits that means they only need 7,700 players. On the boys side, those colleges will recruit 25% of those players from outside the US and on the girls side it’s 10%. So only 5,800-6,900 recruiting spots are really available nationwide, which means <3% will play in college.

Think about that. If academically, a college told you they only took <3% of applicants you would wonder what the point of applying was unless your kid was Einstein.

Given this low number and high number of ID camps most of them are just scams.

Given that <3% will play and the large number of ID camps, how many

Comment

...how many have real coaches looking for talent?

Comment

Nothing like a blast email to a half-assed ID camp to make you feel special about your little superstar!

There are about 37,000 public and private high schools in the US. If you figure 80% of them have a varsity soccer team and each averages 8 seniors that’s about 237,000 potential college recruits. There are about 1,100 colleges in D1 thru 3 and if each averages 7 freshman recruits that means they only need 7,700 players. On the boys side, those colleges will recruit 25% of those players from outside the US and on the girls side it’s 10%. So only 5,800-6,900 recruiting spots are really available nationwide, which means <3% will play in college.

Think about that. If academically, a college told you they only took <3% of applicants you would wonder what the point of applying was unless your kid was Einstein.

Good effort put into that analysis, however your calculation makes the assumption that all varsity soccer players are interested in playing soccer in college. In reality, it's a small percentage of varsity players that try to pursue college soccer, so the percentage of interested players that are able to play is considerably higher.

Comment

Good effort put into that analysis, however your calculation makes the assumption that all varsity soccer players are interested in playing soccer in college. In reality, it's a small percentage of varsity players that try to pursue college soccer, so the percentage of interested players that are able to play is considerably higher.
                    Interested or not, wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of those 237,000 players received some sort of marketing from an ID camp. If a third of them (78,000) attended that still means 9 out of 10 won’t make it, and maybe none of them do if the colleges actually find their recruits in other ways like HS/club coach recommendations and showcase tournaments. Seems like a lot of wasted time and money for the vast majority of these camps to me.

Comment

Interested or not, wouldn’t be surprised if the majority of those 237,000 players received some sort of marketing from an ID camp. If a third of them (78,000) attended that still means 9 out of 10 won’t make it, and maybe none of them do if the colleges actually find their recruits in other ways like HS/club coach recommendations and showcase tournaments. Seems like a lot of wasted time and money for the vast majority of these camps to me.
                      Most of he lists that colleges use come from club soccer resources like tournaments, CaptainU, ECNL database etc. I get all my kids' invites because my email is also on all their registrations (I'm still getting ones for the kid already playing in college, so does he). The majority of HS players (overall, not by town) aren't club players nor will they be interested in playing in college. They're not going to ID events. It's club parents lining the pockets of college programs, not HS programs.

Comment

Most of he lists that colleges use come from club soccer resources like tournaments, CaptainU, ECNL database etc. I get all my kids' invites because my email is also on all their registrations (I'm still getting ones for the kid already playing in college, so does he). The majority of HS players (overall, not by town) aren't club players nor will they be interested in playing in college. They're not going to ID events. It's club parents lining the pockets of college programs, not HS programs.
                        It really depends where you are both in MA and the US. I’d say inside the 128 belt that at least 20% of the HS varsity starters play club at some leveL. The further you get outside 128 that number drops a lot. Probably the same for most of the US, clubs are concentrated in population centers where families can afford it. I’m sure in the Midwest, etc. club soccer is rarer than California or East Coast. But since most colleges recruit locally for most of their players, that still leaves a lot of HS recruiting.

Comment

I just got the "last chance to register" email. And my daughter is U13. They're right, I should get her signed up before it's too late! Such a scam.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X