Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not enough tried out for Thorns to post U15/U17 selections???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why do parents have to pay the first quarter of a million dollars if it's an academy. Shouldn't it be free?
    Doesn’t Westside run it now?

Comment

free

Why do parents have to pay the first quarter of a million dollars if it's an academy. Shouldn't it be free?
      why would this be free ? I think very few academies are free there is no return for the investment in the GDA so either parents pay for it like the ECNL, it is subsidized by the rest of the club, or someone the Timbers helps.

But it shouldn't be free. I you can sell a player after developing them for millions then it should be for free.

Comment

Doesn’t Westside run it now?
        If Westside got rid of all that overhead, Thorns Academy would be free!!

Comment

How would that be possibe ?

There is no way to get rid of all the over heads. Westside could lower the cost associated with some admin over heads since they are already doing those thing for their club but would still incur cost. There is also field cost, coaching cost, travel. It cost money, lots of money.

Comment

What overhead?

If you are at all familiar with Westside--you know they run a VERY tight ship financially. Other than a few nice ladies in the office who do the paperwork, pretty much all of the club's expenses are soccer-related: field rental, equipment, coaching salaries. Oh, and financial aid for players. NOBODY is getting rich or drawing a six-figure salary there; not Cony, not John Bain, nobody.

In the case of Thorns Academy--most of that is paid for and actually handled by Thorns; Westside mainly takes care of youth soccer logistics (including getting the Thorns practice slots at THPRD).

Comment

For the Westside club teams absolutely! or cost a fraction. BTW salaries and overhead are some of the lowest among st all of the top clubs.

Westside donates their time to the DA Thorns no billing for admin. Just like the Thorns donating time and monies to give the best girls a Development Academy in Oregon.

If the Thorns/Timbers ponied up another 1/2 million it would be free for the girls and westside still wouldn't get paid for admin.

The more you know!

Comment

Thorns is ok. I think if they made it free then more kids would come to try outs, but still I think costs is only part of the problem. I think most of the top players in the state want to play high school soccer.

Comment

Thorns is ok. I think if they made it free then more kids would come to try outs, but still I think costs is only part of the problem. I think most of the top players in the state want to play high school soccer.
                  The point of the Thorns is to make the players better. Just because someone is a bench player or on a B team that doesn't matter. Just make them better.

Comment

The point of the Thorns is to make the players better. Just because someone is a bench player or on a B team that doesn't matter. Just make them better.
                    Team motto?

Comment

. I think most of the top players in the state want to play high school soccer.
                      If this is true, it explains why our state in light years behind the others at the club level.

Because Recreational High School Soccer is what the best girls really, really, really want!
                      it's the pathway to becoming straight ballers! Right on!

Comment

If they closed the program during high school soccer season they might get better players to sign up.

Comment

If they closed the program during high school soccer season they might get better players to sign up.
                          And make it free.

Comment

What's left playing in the Oregon recreational HS fall leagues each year, isn't going to help any team playing at the Nationwide DA level.

Have you every witnessed this level of play (HS V/JV/JVII) it is so bad in Oregon that one HS team with decent local club players destroys all comers by 8 to 10 goals every game.

The better players from these HS ranks is quite disingenuous, actually unfair to the word better.

Next.

Comment

The top 20 players at every age level played high school soccer the last three years.

Girls love the social aspect of crowds watching them play. Representing their school. Friends.

The dull boring DA model is just not that attractive in my opinion.

Comment

The top 20 players at every age level played high school soccer the last three years.

Girls love the social aspect of crowds watching them play. Representing their school. Friends.

The dull boring DA model is just not that attractive in my opinion.
                                Is that why thorns are doing so poorly?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X