X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My opinion, two reasons:

1) GDA is 18 months old so clubs who preach this are just getting underway. Those who don't, left (cough-stars-cough).

2) Not everyone wants to put their kids through that program, or with any club, that does play that way because parents are too hung up on the results at a young age. So, I'm pulling li'l Leo out of the team if they keep losing the ball and losing games. Our club will be skewered on the next round of the "20xx" thread..... Makes for a tough barbeque conversation.
    These clubs played that way last year and prior in ecnl too.

Comment

For the very reason we are having this discussion, those deciding would need to go outside the clipboard choices for fullbacks and other positions. Theychoose rhe easier route. Status quo.
      I have a friend who coached HS soccer. Very talented player in his day. Short a left back, so he plucks a freshman off the JV team who is their leading scorer. Makes him his LB. Kid plays 4 years there and 4 years in DII and won a National Title.

I know of two other players who got to college and same thing happened.

Comment

im not the all knowing one. i am ASKING basic questions. pda, real, solar,top hat, penn fusion may do it on certain teams, but they dont as a club. the rest i dont know well enough to comment. this is another reason why progress is getting so painful. everyone knows more than everyone. Lets say you are correct that all these clubs play this way. Then why are so few of these players making it to our Youth teams as attacking OBs and why is there a shortage of them at Full level? If some of these huge clubs are doing what you say, why are more colleges not utilizing all this talent ?
        My theory is a club is a system where coaches are not fired while getting the right kids up to speed. The same kids play together from u15 through u19, give or take a few birth year hiccups, etc.. club has cuts. College gets players, makes them fit into the easiest mold for soccer, direct play/over the top. No real technical skill needed in any of the positions. Rosters of 30+. Its a numbers game instead of a skilled soccer game.

Comment

I have a friend who coached HS soccer. Very talented player in his day. Short a left back, so he plucks a freshman off the JV team who is their leading scorer. Makes him his LB. Kid plays 4 years there and 4 years in DII and won a National Title.

How long ago? Backs and gks need to be very skilled with their feet in addition to having speed. Not all in the def 1/3rd are technically skilled with feet and ball (to get out of pressure). And not all are fast.

Comment

How long ago? Backs and gks need to be very skilled with their feet in addition to having speed. Not all in the def 1/3rd are technically skilled with feet and ball (to get out of pressure). And not all are fast.
            A few years back, quite a few probably.

And, I agree with what you said. But, as parents, we need to be patient. A back won't learn to play out of the back if the club and sidelines are pressuring them to "get rid of it".

Comment

A few years back, quite a few probably.

And, I agree with what you said. But, as parents, we need to be patient. A back won't learn to play out of the back if the club and sidelines are pressuring them to "get rid of it".
              Absolutely correct.

Comment

I watched both U20 games. My questions/observations

1. If USSF like SK, then why was she no on the U17 team?
                2. Seemed to me that USSF are banking on serious improvement form some of the younger kids because quite a few seemed out of their depth
                3. We lack real penetrative players
                4. USSF seem to fall in love with small players who "look" technical. If you take a step back, how many great chances did we create and HOW did we create them ?
                5. France were better at combination play, especially using thier full backs. We want to do this, but frankly our player lack the IQ to do it well.

if we are going to stick with the status quo, then we need to get more dynamic players into this team before the WC.
                We did not play many meaningful final balls that weren't straight forward endline crosses. I don't remember any incisive through balls into he box. A few tried (forced?), but all easily intercepted. I saw little dribbling save for the little Kroeger kid (better against slower china than speedy France) that beat any lines. We lack a creative ACM. maybe that's the reference to the small players who "look" technical. Pinto had some moments as a deeper lying playmaker, but the other central midfielders were meh at best. Spaanstra was better wide against France. Don't know why Jarrett wasn't the 9 and Spaanstra the 7 against China. They both were not used to their best advantage in my opinion. I like jarrett as a super sub because she can come in and beat the socks off of tired defenders for the last 25 minute or so. Or use her to stretch the defense and keep them honest. I like that kid, She's more than just speed.

Comment

I like jarrett as well but wasnt she the player sending endless crosses? but agree, fast.

Comment

If a kid is listening to the sidelines then they should be benched .If the kid is taught that by the club,they should find a new club.

Comment

HIM...this thread was about girls

Comment

I like jarrett as well but wasnt she the player sending endless crosses? but agree, fast.
                        nothing wrong with crosses if they have purpose.

Comment

SK plays a great technical game. I’m guessing she got so much playtime yesterday because she is creative and makes things happen. I was very impressed with Jarrett too. She definitely created some big chances and if SK was 2 inches taller, she would have converted at least 2 of those crosses into scoring opportunities. We have to remembered some of these players have not had a break from their college season. Pinto is coming off a championship game a week ago. Would love to see this group training Together more

Comment

True, but these didn't.

Comment

SK plays a great technical game. I’m guessing she got so much playtime yesterday because she is creative and makes things happen. I was very impressed with Jarrett too. She definitely created some big chances and if SK was 2 inches taller, she would have converted at least 2 of those crosses into scoring opportunities. We have to remembered some of these players have not had a break from their college season. Pinto is coming off a championship game a week ago. Would love to see this group training Together more
                              Some of this group, sure. The win against China, was not very good. 1-0 against a pretty weak team? I thought the defensive 1/3 including the gk was suspect. slow and unorganized. spilling balls for goals isn't good.

Comment

Some of this group, sure. The win against China, was not very good. 1-0 against a pretty weak team? I thought the defensive 1/3 including the gk was suspect. slow and unorganized. spilling balls for goals isn't good.
                                Thought the GK HH and the back MB were good, but the rest of the defensive was so so. I liked what I saw in the front 2/3 overall. I think they need more playing time together and they'll look stronger particularly on set pieces.

I'm not quite sure I would describe the China team as weak. Many players from the last U-20 WC team this year and they played ok. Since so many of their players are already 20 yrs old, I wonder whether we are seeing their best this early on in the cycle.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X