•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thorns land best 05 girls player in the country

Imagine she'll be playing up.

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland-...l-academy.html

This is great news. Oregon will finally have a potential national team player. I look forward to watching such a phenom play. I do feel a bit sorry for whichever current favorite she bumps though. Considering how elite she is, and how weak the younger teams are, she must be playing one the 00/01 team. Playoffs here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      This is great news. Oregon will finally have a potential national team player. I look forward to watching such a phenom play. I do feel a bit sorry for whichever current favorite she bumps though. Considering how elite she is, and how weak the younger teams are, she must be playing one the 00/01 team. Playoffs here we come!
      For better or for worse, one thing about the match reports that GDA teams release (which include starts and minutes played for each player) is that it's very obvious who are the non-favored players on each team. Which means those players are very aware that they are the ones who will be replaced by this phenom. That can't be a good feeling. But they signed up to play with the "best." And now they'll actually get that. Be careful what you wish for.

Comment

For better or for worse, one thing about the match reports that GDA teams release (which include starts and minutes played for each player) is that it's very obvious who are the non-favored players on each team. Which means those players are very aware that they are the ones who will be replaced by this phenom. That can't be a good feeling. But they signed up to play with the "best." And now they'll actually get that. Be careful what you wish for.
        When you get subsidized training, it's not like a youth club where you are the customer.

Players get cut from the Peregrine academies all the time. Part of high level soccer and part of being a pro or an aspiring pro.

Comment

Considering the cost of time and money and how restrictive Thorns are, getting bumped back to your neighborhood team will be the best thing for the girl that gets bumped. If you’re sitting on the bench for the Thorns academy, you’d be much better off playing somewhere else. Now, the new superstar will bench the worst starter though and that will be hard to swallow at first for that player.

Who I feel for are the remaining starters who used to shine but will now look anything but shiny. Leaving to have fun playing high school and winning state accolades all of a sudden moves up to a smart choice for every other top player on the team.

Comment

Considering the cost of time and money and how restrictive Thorns are, getting bumped back to your neighborhood team will be the best thing for the girl that gets bumped. If you’re sitting on the bench for the Thorns academy, you’d be much better off playing somewhere else. Now, the new superstar will bench the worst starter though and that will be hard to swallow at first for that player.

Who I feel for are the remaining starters who used to shine but will now look anything but shiny. Leaving to have fun playing high school and winning state accolades all of a sudden moves up to a smart choice for every other top player on the team.
            Moultrie is a pro player now. Are pros even allowed to play in the youth development academy? Sounds unfair to me.

Comment

Moultrie is a pro player now. Are pros even allowed to play in the youth development academy? Sounds unfair to me.
              Yes, happens all the time in MLS academies.

Comment

No way she plays on one of our weak girls teams. How could that possibly help her goal of being the best female player ever in history. She’ll play on one of the Timbers DA teams so no need for any of the girls 00/01 players to worry.

Comment

Sounds unfair to me.
                  Ahahaha! Give me a break.

Comment

She plays at U16/U17 for Beach FC

Comment

Consider that once Ecnl and da started, Oregon has had zero national team camp players.

Prior to Ecnl and da there was at least 1 every 1-3 years.

Comment

I am not sure who orchestrated this publicity stunt but I don’t see it happening. Why in the world would she come to one of the worst programs in the country?

Comment

I am not sure who orchestrated this publicity stunt but I don’t see it happening. Why in the world would she come to one of the worst programs in the country?
                          Wasserman represents her - also represents Horan - and is playing on another level. Not sure they are paying attention to what is going on in ECNL/GDA. If Portland Thorns GDA isn't the right fit, they will get her some place else.

The good news is that this young teen is now a global brand. That also might be the bad news.

Comment

Or the program isn’t bad and you just don’t know soccer. Wasserman knows what the hell they are doing

Comment

Or the program isn’t bad and you just don’t know soccer. Wasserman knows what the hell they are doing
                              Not judging Thorns Academy one way or another, but Wasserman knows what they are doing when it comes to building a personal brand.

If this were strictly a player development driven decision, they would have stayed in the global hotbed of girls soccer - socal.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X