Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not enough tried out for Thorns to post U15/U17 selections???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Only pay for three show cases. Paid about $300 per show case. The other six are paid by the academy.
    Six showcases? Um, BS. Name them. I think you are confusing regular away league games where no one shows up to watch the Thorns get crushed to showcases where there may be college coaches nearby to watch the Thorns get crushed.

Comment

Six showcases? Um, BS. Name them. I think you are confusing regular away league games where no one shows up to watch the Thorns get crushed to showcases where there may be college coaches nearby to watch the Thorns get crushed.
      6 away weekends, flight, hotel and transportation are covered.

Comment

6 away weekends, flight, hotel and transportation are covered.
        That’s league games where the only people they can find willing to do this nonsense are too far to drive. Says something

Comment

The best part about the showcases is that they match you up with low level teams.

Comment

The best part about the showcases is that they match you up with low level teams.
            Why fly for that? You can play Ecnl and get low level teams

Comment

I think it's $3,005 per their webpage and then you pay for showcases. I don't know how much that adds up to.
              That's not bad, but it certainly isn't the cheap deal it was when launched. As long as you aren't traveling and not playing it's probably a good deal.

Comment

That's not bad, but it certainly isn't the cheap deal it was when launched. As long as you aren't traveling and not playing it's probably a good deal.
                Not bad? The base fee $700 more than FC Portland ECNL (just for comparison). You get your travel to Cali and UT for 6 league games for that, but do you really need to travel to California and UT 6 times? Showcases still cost money. Oh and the tryout fee is another $100.

Comment

Not bad? The base fee $700 more than FC Portland ECNL (just for comparison). You get your travel to Cali and UT for 6 league games for that, but do you really need to travel to California and UT 6 times? Showcases still cost money. Oh and the tryout fee is another $100.
                  $100 tryout fee is only for those that haven't been told they have a spot in advance - not sure why someone would tryout if they haven't been told already they are on the team, but if it is your daughter's dream to play for the Thorns, what are you going to do?

Comment

I thought the US Soccer GDA rules prohibited a try out fee?

Sometimes cheaper isn't better.

Comment

$100 tryout fee is only for those that haven't been told they have a spot in advance - not sure why someone would tryout if they haven't been told already they are on the team, but if it is your daughter's dream to play for the Thorns, what are you going to do?
                      It's pretty bad to take $100 from families they know aren't going to make them team. It's kind of like stealing.

Comment

It's pretty bad to take $100 from families they know aren't going to make them team. It's kind of like stealing.
                        It is unfair, no doubt. It's also price gouging. As for those who have been told they are on the team with the winks and nods of the constant recruiting that goes on from fall to spring through ODP and other mechanisms, I get that $100 is applied to the base fee, but that's only if you choose to play for the Thorns. As for the argument about it being "my DD's dream to play for the Thorns"; first of all, she isn't playing for the Thorns anymore than GPS kids are playing for Bayern Munich. And secondly, I've been around plenty of kids who don't want to play DA soccer because of the time commitment, inability to play other sports, and lack of HS soccer but it is THEIR PARENTS dream that they play for the Thorns. That's messed up and kind of sad.

Comment

Most times paying more isn't better either.

Comment

the Thorns isn't that much cheaper. Base fee is $3,005 plus about $1,200 for showcases. So any of you bashing them for being cheaper are wrong.

Comment

It is unfair, no doubt. It's also price gouging. As for those who have been told they are on the team with the winks and nods of the constant recruiting that goes on from fall to spring through ODP and other mechanisms, I get that $100 is applied to the base fee, but that's only if you choose to play for the Thorns. As for the argument about it being "my DD's dream to play for the Thorns"; first of all, she isn't playing for the Thorns anymore than GPS kids are playing for Bayern Munich. And secondly, I've been around plenty of kids who don't want to play DA soccer because of the time commitment, inability to play other sports, and lack of HS soccer but it is THEIR PARENTS dream that they play for the Thorns. That's messed up and kind of sad.
                              There are some crazy parents at Thorns. A few expect pro contracts someday, the rest are just enjoying the competition. But there's also some crazy PARENTS and COACHES at ECNL. What type of jack@ss gloats about HS accomplishments? Better yet, some of these folks make highlight reels with nothing but HS games. Guess you don't want to educate these folks much cause they might depart.

Comment

the Thorns isn't that much cheaper. Base fee is $3,005 plus about $1,200 for showcases. So any of you bashing them for being cheaper are wrong.
                                Four to five thousand per year is par for the course. Find the best fit.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X