Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not so unusual you just have to ask. Most of these parents don't even know enough what to ask for and fall for this guys koolaide. That's half the problem.
    How would that be your "problem"? Or are you just feeling frustrated again?

Comment

How would that be your "problem"? Or are you just feeling frustrated again?
      No problem for me one bit. The coaches (different clubs and different coaches) my kids have played for have been instrumental in helping them each land attractive scholarship packages. The only purpose is to clarify the point and dispell the false notion that you shouldnt expect your club coach to do anything to help your kid during the recruiting process because none of them do it. That is not true and stating that it is is nothing but a cop out by the club and allowing to go unchallenged sets a false expectation that it is ok when it's really not ok.

Comment

Here is the way I look at it, and what has proven successful for 2 of my 3 kids.

The parents and player are responsible for 98% of the recruiting/college search. So, if you do not have the time, desire, or internet skills to do your share, you can hire agents or college planners.

I have also learned that although I wish my kids coaches and school guidance counselor would invest more time and energy in the process (for my kid of course), my kid is one of many.

Finally, no one cares more than I do, so no one will invest as much effort as I want. So, it's best to do it, with the assistance of my child.

Comment

A lot of this is talking past each other. One post is trying to generalize, while another is trying to extend what happened to their child onto everyone else. Girls and boys recruiting are different, for one. Ability of the player makes a big difference when discussing any individual example. Readiness of the player to vet colleges and develop a list varies a lot. A coach with 2 college-capable players is in a different situation than one with 15. Let's accept that individuals' situations often differ.
          You might want to ask some parents who have kids playing for Chris Hamblin at NEFC. He has a whole process that he goes through with ALL of his players.

Comment

DAP parent here - you'd think DAP coaches would be even more helpful than the average club coach, but it's very individually based. Like club coaches they have a limited set of contacts that are "good" connections. They don't know every one out there and depending on what your child is looking for simply may not be able to help much other than to shoot an email or two out to schools. When we were in crunch time (and we were new to all of it) ours was helpful but that was after several reach-outs to the coach looking for guidance. That said, my son had to do a great deal of work on his own contacting coaches, following up, scheduling visits. A coach's assistance is a small piece of the college admittance pie, so if you don't get any it shouldn't impact things too much - as long as you/your player is proactive.

Comment

No problem for me one bit. The coaches (different clubs and different coaches) my kids have played for have been instrumental in helping them each land attractive scholarship packages. The only purpose is to clarify the point and dispell the false notion that you shouldnt expect your club coach to do anything to help your kid during the recruiting process because none of them do it. That is not true and stating that it is is nothing but a cop out by the club and allowing to go unchallenged sets a false expectation that it is ok when it's really not ok.
              You seem preoccupied with this issue: thus the (mis)impression that it's a personal problem for you. But your relentless, selfless service on behalf of the benighted and afflicted is surely appreciated. If your point isn't clear by now, it never will be.

Comment

You might want to ask some parents who have kids playing for Chris Hamblin at NEFC. He has a whole process that he goes through with ALL of his players.
                Did anyone have any doubt when they read #27 that we were working our way to the above? Classic. You're pathetic BTDT.

Comment

Here is the way I look at it, and what has proven successful for 2 of my 3 kids.

The parents and player are responsible for 98% of the recruiting/college search. So, if you do not have the time, desire, or internet skills to do your share, you can hire agents or college planners.

I have also learned that although I wish my kids coaches and school guidance counselor would invest more time and energy in the process (for my kid of course), my kid is one of many.

Finally, no one cares more than I do, so no one will invest as much effort as I want. So, it's best to do it, with the assistance of my child.
                  The single most important thing you should get from your club coach is a short list of schools were they believe your kid soccer ability fits. Without that all you are doing is shooting in the dark. The biggest issue that I have seen is parents being afraid of the answer and not asking the question.

Comment

You seem preoccupied with this issue: thus the (mis)impression that it's a personal problem for you. But your relentless, selfless service on behalf of the benighted and afflicted is surely appreciated. If your point isn't clear by now, it never will be.
                    Don't worry. As will see challenging our friend is only going to force him to be much more explicit and transparent about his point. It's going to be another pro-NEFC, anti-Stars rant.

Comment

Did anyone have any doubt when they read #27 that we were working our way to the above? Classic. You're pathetic BTDT.
                      If that was him, the guy does have a certain amount of experience to be able to state that other poster is uniformed. Ans the information about CH has been thoroughly discussed here on many occasions so there more that ample evidence supporting that claim as well. Just because it doesn't fit with your club's modus operendi that doesn't mean what you get fed is a universal truth.

Comment

DAP parent here - you'd think DAP coaches would be even more helpful than the average club coach, but it's very individually based. Like club coaches they have a limited set of contacts that are "good" connections. They don't know every one out there and depending on what your child is looking for simply may not be able to help much other than to shoot an email or two out to schools. When we were in crunch time (and we were new to all of it) ours was helpful but that was after several reach-outs to the coach looking for guidance. That said, my son had to do a great deal of work on his own contacting coaches, following up, scheduling visits. A coach's assistance is a small piece of the college admittance pie, so if you don't get any it shouldn't impact things too much - as long as you/your player is proactive.
                        No club coach is going to do your kids work for them. What you should expect is a short list of schools to target and maybe a few phone calls.

Comment

If that was him, the guy does have a certain amount of experience to be able to state that other poster is uniformed. Ans the information about CH has been thoroughly discussed here on many occasions so there more that ample evidence supporting that claim as well. Just because it doesn't fit with your club's modus operendi that doesn't mean what you get fed is a universal truth.
                          Yet again, thanks for the pathetic confirmation. You are the only one feeding something. And your kid said she was going to Duke several years ago. Don't act like CH played some important role when he didn't. And you have no experience to say someone else in uninformed. Here's the logic lesson -- you having experience doesn't by definition cause someone else not to have experience. And has been stated already, you essentially agreed with the person you say is uninformed, but that isn't useful to you in trying to twist the thread into another NEFC vs Stars polemic.

Comment

Bingo. We have a winner. So old. So very, very old.

Comment

Yet again, thanks for the pathetic confirmation. You are the only one feeding something. And your kid said she was going to Duke several years ago. Don't act like CH played some important role when he didn't. And you have no experience to say someone else in uninformed. Here's the logic lesson -- you having experience doesn't by definition cause someone else not to have experience. And has been stated already, you essentially agreed with the person you say is uninformed, but that isn't useful to you in trying to twist the thread into another NEFC vs Stars polemic.
                              How can you say anything here? Do you even know either of them? You seem to be making some pretty long reaches trying to refute some things that are actually pretty well known.

Comment

Hamblin's reputation for helping his players is pretty well known.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X