Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Actually, if you read my original post, I was saying the exact opposite. I was refuting another poster's claim that pro athletes must live in a bubble and have no idea about what's happening in the real world.
    Please try to comprehend better before berating me.
    I understood what you wrote. I see you trying to defend the athletes by implying that only the whackos get myopically focused on soccer. Your comments struck me as though you think it is bad to go all in chasing your soccer dream. My point to you is that if you want to be a pro, you absolutely do need to be myopically focused on getting there. What the other guy is saying is doing that is a waste of time. I believe that you are both incorrect. It absolutely is not a waste of time if that is what your career goal is. It is only a waste of time if you are giving your career goals a half hearted effort which you seem to be saying is OK.

Comment

I understood what you wrote. I see you trying to defend the athletes by implying that only the whackos get myopically focused on soccer. Your comments struck me as though you think it is bad to go all in chasing your soccer dream. My point to you is that if you want to be a pro, you absolutely do need to be myopically focused on getting there. What the other guy is saying is doing that is a waste of time. I believe that you are both incorrect. It absolutely is not a waste of time if that is what your career goal is. It is only a waste of time if you are giving your career goals a half hearted effort which you seem to be saying is OK.
      I'll try this one more time only. Reread carefully what I wrote and you will understand that I never suggested it is a bad idea to chase the professional soccer dream---or any other dream for that matter. I merely stated that one can be myopically focused on a goal, but that focus does not preclude one's ability to be aware of what's going on in the world. (The original poster claimed that pro athletes are ignorant about everything but their own sport.) I strongly disagree. They may not be able to participate in other aspects of life during a pro career, but they can certainly be aware of and interested in the larger world outside of their sport.

Comment

Saw this press release and thought of this thread.

http://womens.soccerly.com/2014/09/0...o-sc-freiburg/

Comment

Americans shine in Week 1 of Australian W-League

http://womens.soccerly.com/2014/09/1...smyne-spencer/

Comment

Here is a document that explains the British youth system and philosophically how they advance players up to the pro and international levels. A pretty interesting read

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/Files/W...20Girls.pdf%20

Comment

Here is a document that explains the British youth system and philosophically how they advance players up to the pro and international levels. A pretty interesting read

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/Files/W...20Girls.pdf%20
              What results for either England's women's or men's team would suggest that they have ANYTHING to teach us? This isn't the 1950's anymore.

Comment

What results for either England's women's or men's team would suggest that they have ANYTHING to teach us? This isn't the 1950's anymore.
                Then show us a document written in ENGLISH that lays out another country's soccer system and philosophy that you do respect. The fact of the matter is most of the countries around the globe structure their youth programs in basically the same way and adhere it many of the same philosophies. The biggest difference between what all of them are doing and what we are doing is they seem to focus on moving players to different levels in order to maximize their individual development where as we focus on holding on to those players in one place so we can build super teams around them. They seem to keep the competitive forces at bay until the kids are around 15 but we seem to go in the opposite direction and push it younger. The money is very different also because the end game with most clubs around the globe is the transfer fees where as here it is the individual roster fees. The bottom line is if you are looking at our soccer system in this country and criticizing it you really do need to know what is out there to benchmark against so you can implement corrective change.. Without doing that you end up swinging in the dark trying to recreate the wheel.

Comment

Then show us a document written in ENGLISH that lays out another country's soccer system and philosophy that you do respect. The fact of the matter is most of the countries around the globe structure their youth programs in basically the same way and adhere it many of the same philosophies. The biggest difference between what all of them are doing and what we are doing is they seem to focus on moving players to different levels in order to maximize their individual development where as we focus on holding on to those players in one place so we can build super teams around them. They seem to keep the competitive forces at bay until the kids are around 15 but we seem to go in the opposite direction and push it younger. The money is very different also because the end game with most clubs around the globe is the transfer fees where as here it is the individual roster fees. The bottom line is if you are looking at our soccer system in this country and criticizing it you really do need to know what is out there to benchmark against so you can implement corrective change.. Without doing that you end up swinging in the dark trying to recreate the wheel.
                  Thanks BTDT.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X