Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious studies and College soccer

Can you play college soccer and also be a serious student, pe-med, etc.?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    yes you can

Comment

You know what the call the student that graduates last in his class in Med School?

Comment

You know what the call the student that graduates last in his class in Med School?
        a doctor

Comment

I made a sexist comment I should have said His/Her Class, sorry for that oversite my daughter would hit me across the head for that...

Comment

Probably not in a serious D1 program.

Elsewhere, yes.

Comment

Probably not in a serious D1 program.

Elsewhere, yes.
              WRONG.

There are 4 girls soccer freshman at Duke who are not only pre-med, but are in a special academic selection honors fast-track into medical school. Duke is a top 25 soccer program and a driven student athlete population.

It is absolutely possible anywhere if the student athlete is driven.

It is a matter of drive, intellect and focus.

Do not let anyone here or anywhere else in your life dictate limitations.

You set your expectations and you work to achieve them.

Comment

I made a sexist comment I should have said His/Her Class, sorry for that oversite my daughter would hit me across the head for that...
                There was nothing sexist about your post. The PC crowd can take a hike.

Comment

Depends upon your kid and how driven they are. As I have written before, playing a sport in college can really suck up a tremendous amount of time and there are tons of distractions both legitimate and implied that can side track even the best student athletes.
                  Last edited by beentheredonethat; 02-03-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I played D1 baseball in college. It is very difficult but can be done. I liked to party to much as did most of my team so I did not achieve great things in college. Did graduate but with a useless degree. That is my biggest regret in life. You really only have one shot at that. We did have a couple of guys that were outstanding students and one was in pre med. His dad was a doctor. We never saw him out. He was either at baseball or studying.

It is all about choices. Do you want to sacrifice a few years of your life or do you want to be a socialite. It is really that simple. My best friend is a dermatologist and played college tennis. So it can be done.

My advice would be to play soccer and study your butt off. The time you missed going out can be made up when you have the money to do it right. If you don't you will regret it later in life when real memories can be made.

Comment

I played D1 baseball in college. It is very difficult but can be done. I liked to party to much as did most of my team so I did not achieve great things in college. Did graduate but with a useless degree. That is my biggest regret in life. You really only have one shot at that. We did have a couple of guys that were outstanding students and one was in pre med. His dad was a doctor. We never saw him out. He was either at baseball or studying.

It is all about choices. Do you want to sacrifice a few years of your life or do you want to be a socialite. It is really that simple. My best friend is a dermatologist and played college tennis. So it can be done.

My advice would be to play soccer and study your butt off. The time you missed going out can be made up when you have the money to do it right. If you don't you will regret it later in life when real memories can be made.
                      One of the best posts on here in a long time. Well done

Comment

I'm not sure I totally agree with this, although tough to know without knowing what you do now, how you feel you're doing with your family, etc, etc. I went to a good school, played a college sport, and I had a great time. As many say "best 4 years of my life," and I remember many days when my friends and I would look at each other and say "Isn't college fun?" If you know you want to be a physician or be an engineer, or whatever, then how you hard you work may have to be factored in. But there is (to use a word overused in this forum) a "development" aspect to college as well and figuring out who one is socially and otherwise. There is no guarantee that the kid who shuts everything out to ensure he goes to med school is going to be happy later or feel successful in other key areas of his/her life. Some of these people get divorced 2-3 times, don't really know their kids, or have no idea who they are aside from their professional identity (which may have been rather robotically shaped by keeping up with the achievement treadmill). The cost certainly is impacting what college is and can be for some, but I wish it was less pre-professional than it has become and more old school in terms of using some of the time to explore and figure out who the hell you are.

Comment

I'm not sure I totally agree with this, although tough to know without knowing what you do now, how you feel you're doing with your family, etc, etc. I went to a good school, played a college sport, and I had a great time. As many say "best 4 years of my life," and I remember many days when my friends and I would look at each other and say "Isn't college fun?" If you know you want to be a physician or be an engineer, or whatever, then how you hard you work may have to be factored in. But there is (to use a word overused in this forum) a "development" aspect to college as well and figuring out who one is socially and otherwise. There is no guarantee that the kid who shuts everything out to ensure he goes to med school is going to be happy later or feel successful in other key areas of his/her life. Some of these people get divorced 2-3 times, don't really know their kids, or have no idea who they are aside from their professional identity (which may have been rather robotically shaped by keeping up with the achievement treadmill). The cost certainly is impacting what college is and can be for some, but I wish it was less pre-professional than it has become and more old school in terms of using some of the time to explore and figure out who the hell you are.
                          I am a real estate appraiser. Family life is great but the job sucks. The appraisal industry is one of the worst jobs to have at this time. I wish someone would have told me to figure out what you want to do for a living before you go to college. I had a blast in college playing baseball and going out but totally regret that I did not have someone pushing me to take school more serious.

Part of the problem was that I thought I was going to play pro ball. I only went to college for baseball. Two operations my first two years put a end to that dream.

My boys dream of playing pro soccer. I support their dream 100% but I always tell them school is #1 and that you need a back up plan.

Play hard and study harder in school. The security you will feel from a great education is worth the sacrifice you make in college.

Comment

there are real tradeoffs - the time invested in a sport is not available for something else, like studying and research. In some sports, frequent out of town trips mean missed classes and inevitably lower grades. Athletes in top varsity programs in time consuming sports (like football, basketball and hockey) are usually in majors like economics and very rarely in the sciences. And the ones thinking about pro contracts are definitely not interested in academics. Finally, in colleges where academics are more important than athletics (like the Ivy league), athletes don't get the adulation or attention you might think, and actually are somewhat socially segregated.

Comment

I am a real estate appraiser. Family life is great but the job sucks. The appraisal industry is one of the worst jobs to have at this time. I wish someone would have told me to figure out what you want to do for a living before you go to college. I had a blast in college playing baseball and going out but totally regret that I did not have someone pushing me to take school more serious.

Part of the problem was that I thought I was going to play pro ball. I only went to college for baseball. Two operations my first two years put a end to that dream.

My boys dream of playing pro soccer. I support their dream 100% but I always tell them school is #1 and that you need a back up plan.

Play hard and study harder in school. The security you will feel from a great education is worth the sacrifice you make in college.
                              It's funny, because going through the college search process now I realize how much I would like to go to college again. I am much interested in all the schools than my son.

I personally think age 17 or 18 is way too young to expect a child/young adult to know what they want to do. Maybe they have a glimmer or know they like science/math better than english or whatever, but more likely than not I think most have fallen in love with some image of doing something and/or their parents have heavily influenced the choice. That's why I think some are very smart to do a PG year, and I think, in terms of what you're talking about, a fair number of kids would benefit by starting college at 21 or 22 or even after age 25.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X