Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FCW - the future

There seems a lot of chaos at this academy. What does future hold for them?

Good question. Everton brought a lot of stability to the DAP organization

Now that the relationship has ended who knows. Especially in that hyper competitive Westchester Market.

My guess would be they struggle as a single entity. They need a merger to be competitive, perhaps NYSC

Comment

FCW has a lot working against it - the departure of RC, then Everton, NYCFC planting its flag nearby, lots of other quality non MLS clubs in the area plus increasing questions about the value of doing DA if you're not at an MLS club. It's survivable but tough times requires good management. Do they have it?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        FCW has a lot working against it - the departure of RC, then Everton, NYCFC planting its flag nearby, lots of other quality non MLS clubs in the area plus increasing questions about the value of doing DA if you're not at an MLS club. It's survivable but tough times requires good management. Do they have it?
        No. I don't think their model works anymore. A board of part timers with no one operator trying to compete against heavyweights.

They either need to change with the times or realize that they should just focus on recreation, Travel and local premier

Comment

Good question. Everton brought a lot of stability to the DAP organization

Now that the relationship has ended who knows. Especially in that hyper competitive Westchester Market.

My guess would be they struggle as a single entity. They need a merger to be competitive, perhaps NYSC
          1) why the split with Everton?
          2) who is a likely candidate to replace Everton?
          3) people at NYSC saying they are getting full academy status soon. So merger with nysc not likely

Comment

3) people at NYSC saying they are getting full academy status soon. So merger with nysc not likely
            They don't need a replacement for Everton - it was it's own program prior to the merger so could theoretically be on its own again. I don't know all the details I was told the main money guy was an Everton guy, moved his kids and money to FCW and now I think his kids have aged out. A few of the Everton coaches left before this. Friend who is there now is hanging on for his kids' the last year - where are you going to go when you're a senior?

Comment

They seem to go by FC Westchester Armour now, and use UA kit so unsure what the deal is there.

I know NYSC wants to have full DA status. I think they only have the U12 to U15 ages for now. Not sure a merger is what they want but i guess they used it on the girls side to increase the pool before getting GDA.

Comment

Eventual merger with NYSC will be driven by US Soccer, not a desire of either party to merge.

Their lower level academy teams (04-05-06) are in chaos and will struggle mightily this year, with 04 being a huge sore point.

The premier teams are set to play in WYSL, which cars a huge shadow on the clubs ability to attract talent.

And to top it all off, even with access to the resources of Under Armour they could only manage a clip art caliber new logo that looks like someone took a Champions League logo and didn't 10 minutes in Illustrator adding a circle and some stars...

Comment

Everton ended the relationship because they were getting very little out of relationship. FCW wouldn't even give them a board set. They couldn't make any strategic decisions

Comment

They don't need a replacement for Everton - it was it's own program prior to the merger so could theoretically be on its own again. I don't know all the details I was told the main money guy was an Everton guy, moved his kids and money to FCW and now I think his kids have aged out. A few of the Everton coaches left before this. Friend who is there now is hanging on for his kids' the last year - where are you going to go when you're a senior?
                    FCW was an anachronism before the Everton partnership. They can't survive in today's world and the market.

Comment

Only a merger guarantees NYSC full DAP status. It also clears up a logjam from USSFs pov

Ever consider that the reason NYSC is so confident because they know a merger is coming.

In any scenario FCW loses its badge

Comment

An FCW and NYSC merger makes sense, but both clubs will fight it tooth and nail.

Both clubs have polar opposite approaches to relationship with NYCFC.

NYCFC is the chaos agent in the NY DAP scene.

Comment

NYSC can probably survive without the DA badge. FCW might not survive with it.

Comment

I think this merger talk is overdone. Look at the DA map. http://www.ussoccerda.com/2017-boys-u-13-14-club-map
                            Westchester has 1mm population. Plenty of similarly sized markets have cluster of many more teams. Westchester should be able to sustain 2, even with NYCFC moving in. FC coaching has been up and down but as the only full DA academy for now, it will continue to attract top talent. The new DO there is doing a good job.

Comment

I think this merger talk is overdone. Look at the DA map. http://www.ussoccerda.com/2017-boys-u-13-14-club-map
                              Westchester has 1mm population. Plenty of similarly sized markets have cluster of many more teams. Westchester should be able to sustain 2, even with NYCFC moving in. FC coaching has been up and down but as the only full DA academy for now, it will continue to attract top talent. The new DO there is doing a good job.
                              It's not overdone because the DA is actively pushing it.

So much hatred between the two. Did you know that the NYSC DOC hid in the bushes at FCW tryouts 2 years ago to see if any of his players were there?

Also interesting, when NEPAL fell apart, FCW asked NYCFC if they could put a few teams in the development league. It was subject to a unanimous member vote and all voted yes except NYSC.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X